PDA

View Full Version : A big decision (sort of). Opinions please

Greg A Jones
06-04-2014, 6:40 PM
This is my first bowl that has made it this far. The first two blew up when I was trying to finish the inside. It is red elm that I sanded to 400 and polished with EEE. The problem of an uneven finish and tool marks is obvious
. My issue is whether I want my first completed bowl to look right or simply be complete. In other words, I'm trying to decide whether to try and finish the inside at the risk of blowing it up or let it be and go to the next one.

One of the main reasons I stopped was the presence of the open knot you see and a couple if cracks I had to superglue. I've never had any bowl instruction and sort of figured it out on my own with help from David Ellsworth's book. Very conflicted. Any thoughts as well as C&C are welcome.

John Keeton
06-04-2014, 7:02 PM
Greg, the form of the bowl looks good. The walls appear to be relatively thin - 1/4"?? My guess is that the bowl has moved and making a final finish cut safely would be difficult even without the knot and cracks being involved. There will be lots of bowls in your future and it hardly seems worth getting hurt on this one. I am not one to turn bad wood, and usually abandon cracked wood. Just my thought.

Dwight Rutherford
06-04-2014, 7:34 PM
I agree with John the form is good. Way better than my first. Save it. Put it on a shelf in your shop. Look at it when you have done 10 bowls, 100 etc.

John Grace
06-04-2014, 7:36 PM
One of he challenges as turners is knowing when to say 'when'. As John has suggested...there will be other blanks to turn and I concur. Call this one done and prep for the next effort.

Greg A Jones
06-04-2014, 7:48 PM
One of he challenges as turners is knowing when to say 'when'. As John has suggested...there will be other blanks to turn and I concur. Call this one done and prep for the next effort.

Thanks. Yes, the fact that I let get so thin on me was another concern. I decided to go big or go home. One more trip to the lathe to try a finishing cut. Don't know if it looks better but the inside is as smooth as I can get it and I devided it was definitely time to say, "when."
I'll finish the outside tomorrow and put it on my "firsts shelf." What is that sucking noise I've been hearing today?????

ETA - John - This was turned straight from a blank that has been drying for about a year in my shop without an intermediate rough drying time. Meter indicated 8%. The hairline cracks were there when I turned it down.

Reed Gray
06-04-2014, 8:19 PM
Well, joining the others, the shape is really good. Finish is not too bad, especially considering that this is your first success. Keep it as is, because if you try again with this piece, odds are that it won't survive. Hands on lessons really help. Yea, you might be able to figure it out by yourself, but those little helpful hints can do a lot. I have a number of clips up on You Tube. Type in robo hippy.

robo hippy

Greg A Jones
06-04-2014, 8:24 PM
Thanks. I'll give them a look-see. No plans on proceeding too far without some instruction. Too nerve wracking waiting on it to explode.

John Keeton
06-04-2014, 9:47 PM
Thanks. I'll give them a look-see. No plans on proceeding too far without some instruction. Too nerve wracking waiting on it to explode.One can only "explode" just so many before the odds catch up. It can get very serious, very quickly.

robert baccus
06-04-2014, 10:32 PM
Craig-that's a nice bowl for anyone. Don't get hung up on thin this early--concentrate on your cutting and sanding habits. Thin is a thing that needs sneaking up on with experience.

Greg A Jones
06-04-2014, 10:47 PM
Craig-that's a nice bowl for anyone. Don't get hung up on thin this early--concentrate on your cutting and sanding habits. Thin is a thing that needs sneaking up on with experience.

Thanks - wish I could say it was completely intentional, but I kept peeling trying to get a smooth inside and there I was. But I think, in the end, it made me concentrate harder on technique and finally was able to make two last cuts that gave me a tolerable inside finish.

Bruce Pratt
06-05-2014, 5:33 PM
Greg,

There is a AAW local chapter in Alexandria. You might check with them to see if any of the members live up your way. Hands on instruction really helps.

Greg A Jones
06-05-2014, 6:54 PM
Thanks - wish I could say it was completely intentional, but I kept peeling trying to get a smooth inside and there I was. But I think, in the end, it made me concentrate harder on technique and finally was able to make two last cuts that gave me a tolerable inside finish.

Checked that out a few days ago. Web site appears to be inactive. Found one about an hour and 15 away in Lafayette - Acadiana WT. Have contacted their prez and will attend next months. Thanks for the pass along.