PDA

View Full Version : My tools are rusting… this is killing me

Todd Burch
06-04-2014, 6:11 PM
They've been in storage, a metal building, not climate controlled, for over a year now. And I still haven't broken ground in a new shop. UGGGGGGGGGGH.

I found some rust spots on the bed of my 20" Felder jointer/planer where the roof has been leaking. I stopped by the office a couple months ago to tell them. They haven't done anything about it, and we've gotten about 16" of rain since. I went in the other day and told them again, and emphasized my tools were STILL rusting, and what would they be doing about it?

The called back to tell me they would not charge me June rent ($250) and would get it fixed. We'll see.

I'm ready for a shop again.

Myk Rian
06-04-2014, 6:17 PM
If the roof leaks and it's dripping on the machines, why aren't they covered?

Todd Burch
06-04-2014, 6:19 PM
They are covered. They're COVERED IN RUST!!

Some are covered. The Felder isn't.

Moses Yoder
06-04-2014, 6:23 PM
Rust is normal; the more it rusts, the less likely it is to rust more. A light sanding with a block and some 220 grit, wax, and you are good to go; better than new. I would suggest wearing bib overhauls and a straw hat while using it; people will just assume you are an expert.

Chris Padilla
06-04-2014, 6:33 PM
I'll gladly take all those rust-buckets off your hands, Todd! I'll hitch up my trailer and take a trip out!! :D

Al Faulkner
06-05-2014, 2:15 AM
Lee valley has a product which acts like a big eraser that you rub over the tools and it erases the rust. Comes in three grades and is called sandflex. It works. They also have a dipping solution that you use to remove rust.

Dennis Nagle
06-05-2014, 2:23 AM
douse all your bare metal in this stuff. It works great and was developed just for this reason.

http://boeshield.com/

Brian Gumpper
06-05-2014, 3:36 PM
Is there anything else in the storage building? I found out the hard way what a bucket of pool chlorine tablets in my garage can do to everything steel or iron. Bucket was sealed too. Took a conversation with the guy replacing my garage door to know what the cause was. Every surface was rusted, screw heads, brackets, stuff still in it's original package … didn't matter.

Todd Burch
06-05-2014, 3:48 PM
There are no corrosive materials in MY unit, but who's to say what the guy next to me is storing! Yikes. Didn't even think of that 'til now.

Prior to starting to pack up my shop, I actually bought a gallon of cosmoline. And, I'll give you one try to guess who never got around to applying it. :(

Chris Padilla
06-05-2014, 3:50 PM
There are no corrosive materials in MY unit, but who's to say what the guy next to me is storing! Yikes. Didn't even think of that 'til now.

Prior to starting to pack up my shop, I actually bought a gallon of cosmoline. And, I'll give you one try to guess who never got around to applying it. :(

It must've been your kid. ;)

Todd Burch
06-05-2014, 4:00 PM
My wife. The slacker. :eek:

Jak Kelly
06-07-2014, 1:41 AM
Oklahoma is really humid, that being said I have always left a heavy coat of WD-40 on my table saw top, band saw, drill press................never have had a problem yet. May be better products out there, and it may take or require a new application every few months or so, but it works for me, so far. I usually keep a bottle and a well aged rag around, re-wet it and rub it down.

Scott Rychnovsky
06-07-2014, 7:16 AM
Use one of the de-rusting products people have suggested and then douse all the surfaces with that bucket of cosmoline.

How long will the tools be in storage? If the new shop is still years off, you probably want to get serious about sealing the surfaces to prevent more rust.

Good luck.

Ellen Benkin
06-07-2014, 8:15 AM
?If the tools will be there for a while, why don't you find another place for storage? Moving is awful but so is rust.

johnny means
06-07-2014, 8:40 AM
$250 a month for storage:eek:

Frederick Rowe
06-07-2014, 8:52 AM
douse all your bare metal in this stuff. It works great and was developed just for this reason.

http://boeshield.com/

This ^^^

Rub out existing rust spots with 3M pads, apply boeshield, and cover with tarps.

george newbury
06-08-2014, 4:00 PM
$250 a month for storage:eek:

That was my thought exactly!

When SWMBO and I started moving from Alexandria, Va to Fulton, MS for retirement we were looking at storage places and even the small ones were on the order of $100 plus a month. Our first load, of many, was a 26' Uhaul moving trailer. Instead we bought a 1100 sq foot foreclosure house for $25K we will eventually sell or rent out. The house was full for a year, now it's half full. And I figure we are basically losing the interest we would have had on the $25K (about $60/ month)

Al Faulkner
06-08-2014, 6:47 PM
That was my thought exactly!

When SWMBO and I started moving from Alexandria, Va to Fulton, MS for retirement we were looking at storage places and even the small ones were on the order of $100 plus a month. Our first load, of many, was a 26' Uhaul moving trailer. Instead we bought a 1100 sq foot foreclosure house for $25K we will eventually sell or rent out. The house was full for a year, now it's half full. And I figure we are basically losing the interest we would have had on the $25K (about $60/ month)
Brilliant George!

Todd Burch
06-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Great idea George. My unit is 1000 square feet, and it's packed.