PDA

View Full Version : Bessey Clamps Value

Paul Wunder
06-04-2014, 5:30 PM
Just picked up a package of four Bessey "F" style bar clamps at Home Depot for $19.95

2 6" and 2 12".

Looks like a Fathers' Day special that Bessey put together exclusively for HD

Individually bought at Woodcraft is $39.00 plus shipping

Mike Heidrick
06-04-2014, 5:57 PM
Asian made or German made? I'll gladly pay more for the German made F tradesman clamps.

Albert Lee
06-04-2014, 6:17 PM
Best ever deal I got on them was $20 for 8", German made, wish I bought more of them back then...

Paul Wunder
06-04-2014, 6:19 PM
Mike,

They are made in China and state 600 lbs. max force. Not professing to be a clamp expert but they look well made for their size and intended use.

Mike Heidrick
06-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Paul, find the ones with Germany cast into the head and you will see why I posted that above. Enjoy them.

I did that 30 piece Germany made Bessey F-clamp pack during the amazon clearence in 2006 and have loved them ever since. I have added some of the larger head models as well. Great clamps.

Yours are still cheaper than that clearence deal so YMMV.

Andy Pratt
06-08-2014, 11:22 PM
Be careful with low end bessey kits. Some of their F clamps I have seen in those are more of a harbor freight quality than bessey quality. Most of their stuff is top-notch but I think they are developing a junk line of really low priced stuff like a lot of other manufacturers. A low end kit I bought for someone a few years ago was of disappointing quality.

Jim Matthews
06-09-2014, 7:07 AM
I picked up some no-name Chinese bar clamps at the local clearance center,
known as "Ocean State Job Lots". Other than the fit and finish,
these seem to be completely functional.

I have a rust problem in my basement shop, and these
haven't rusted in nearly 2 years.

My 2 cents - the Bessey clamps you have may not be the pinnacle of quality
but they'll serve well and represent a decent value.

Any clamp that's used to force joints together will reach it's limit.

Think of it like this; a gentler clamping system will drive you to
make better fitting joints.

Paul Wunder
06-09-2014, 9:32 AM
It is troubling to have a brand like Bessey produce different qualities of product. I do not have the years of experience of others at a the Creek, so I will be more careful when shopping to avoid "brand downsizing".

That said, the clamps that I bought in my original post still seem to be a value, and I do have a collection of K Body clamps and Tradesman clamps that have served me well. Thanks to all for your input, I learn something here every day.

Keith Weber
06-09-2014, 10:46 AM
I hate it when a good company builds a reputation and once people start buying their tools based on that reputation, they pull the old quiet switcheroo and start selling Chinese cheapos under their name brand. There should be a law that says they need to change their label name to ChinaBessey, ChinaDelta, ChinaPowermatic, etc. when they do that. I wonder how that would affect their sales.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-09-2014, 1:41 PM
I picked up a set of those. I'll say that they are not the REALLY cheap Chinwanese "F" style clamps. They are not the top notch quality that you may want, but hey, they are 5 bucks a clamp, and 5 bucks for a 12" clamp is a great deal IMO. Right next to them were the really cheap Bessey clamps. A 4" for 5 bucks. Go figure.

Greg R Bradley
06-09-2014, 6:15 PM
I have to agree that the HD set of 4 clutch style light duty F clamps for $20 is a great deal. Thank you Paul for the original post.

All the Bessey clamps in that series are made in China and NO, they aren't even close to the Tradesman line that is still made in Germany OR the equivalent clamp from Jorgensen that are still made in the US at around $15 for a 6". Seems the only bad choice would be to pay $15 for a Chinese made Bessey 6" that you can buy in the 4 pack for $20.

Also, the 4" ultra light duty zinc Bessey mentioned above for $5 is very, very useful. I would still want lots of those in addition to the clutch style F clamps from any company. They are kind of like spring clamps, nice to have a couple but once in a while you can really use a dozen.

BTW, Jorgensen also makes heavier duty clutch style clamps that Bessey doesn't make.

Mike Heidrick
06-09-2014, 6:25 PM
Jorgys have always been a favorite to me. LOVE the cabinet masters.

Doug Ladendorf
06-09-2014, 7:06 PM
I'll stick with Jorgensen myself. Still made here. I also picked up a set of older Hartford bar clamps that are fantastic. Sorry to see Bessey is cheaping out. It may be pressure from Home Depot and others to sell cheap products that are "good enough".

Mike Heidrick
06-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Jorgensen have china ones too. Just pay attention when you are buying clamps.

Reo Fendel
06-26-2014, 3:20 PM
That's the 1st good deal they've had on clamps at Home Cheapo. I picked up 3 packages before father's day as well. Yes, they're Chinese made, but the quality is decent. Look underneath the plastic pad & the swivel pad is actually thicker & beefier than the Tradesman of the same size. They got them in just as Lowes was closing out Bessey's. Picked up a dozen Bessey (German made) 2 x 4 mini f clamps for $1.60 each @ Lowes. Home Cheapo is now calling their $4.99 price a "Special Buy" for the same little clamp. Although the 2 pack of 6" & 12" "Chessey's" is still a good deal.