PDA

View Full Version : Workbench placement - looking for ideas

Adrian Ponik
06-04-2014, 1:24 PM
My "workshop" is also my 2 car garage where it is expected that 2 cars will also park. This leaves me with having all of my woodworking tools and workbench on the perimeter of the garage.

My current struggle is where to put my bench. Currently it is in the front rightmost corner of the garage (see sketch below). This location works ok, but the side of the bench is against a step that runs the width of my garage. This makes using the face vise kind of awkward because I wind up being half on the step, half on the main floor of the garage. I'm considering moving the bench entirely up on the step so it is along the back wall, but I'm afraid the step might be too shallow. The bench is 28" deep, the step is 44" deep. This would only leave me with 14" of floor space on the step to stand on while working. Has anyone done this or something similar? I've thought about building a small platform that would sit on the main garage floor and be level with the step, providing me more room, but I'm not sure how well that would work either. I guess I would be afraid it would slide around or something. Below is a quick sketch of the general layout of the garage. Hopefully it helps clarify my above description. Thanks.

-Adrian

Scott M Perry
06-04-2014, 1:33 PM
Hi, Adrian -

I have the exact setup you have. One of my benches is placed where yours currently resides, and yes, using the face vise is awkward. I have another bench on the same wall, but located closer to the garage door (about 2/3 down the wall) and it is used much more often.

Scott

David Eisenhauer
06-04-2014, 2:49 PM
I would not particularly like to step on and off a wooden deck add-on in front of my bench all day, but a wooden deck to extend the 14" deep standing "zone" could definitely be built and anchored in place so as to prevent sliding, etc. Without knowing what all you have stored in the garage, it doesn't look like you have many choices. I think this one is going to have to be on you.

Richard Verwoest
06-04-2014, 3:17 PM
Why not cut the legs shorter, put the bench on the step close to the edge. You would then stand on the garage floor. This way you could use a hand plane and not worry about hitting the wall in front of it.

Or, seems 28" is awfully deep for a bench. Maybe cut it down to 22"?

Richard

Dimitrije Stamenkovic
06-04-2014, 3:20 PM
Is the car entrance in the bottom of the drawing?
I'd move the bench away from the step and put a tool cabinet in the middle, or something that is useful but doesn't get in the way when working.
Don't know about you but I would also put the bench under a window because I like sunlight much more than any artificial light, and it's important to have the right lighting. You can't work very comfortably in a dark corner.
Moving the bench on the step doesn't sound like a good idea to me, I'd hate to climb up and down all the time to get there and it could also be awkward or even dangerous if you stumble on it.

Rich Enders
06-04-2014, 3:35 PM
Put the bench up on the step and extend the step as needed with concrete.

Evan Patton
06-04-2014, 10:01 PM
I used to have a similar set up (2-car garage) and I was able to put my workbench and table saw in the middle of the garage between the cars. That way when the cars are out, both were relatively easy to access.

Matthew N. Masail
06-04-2014, 10:47 PM
it that drawing in actual proportions? if so why not just move the bench away from the step 30inch or so..?

Winton Applegate
06-04-2014, 11:32 PM
why not just move the bench away from the step 30inch or so..?

Short answer :

I agree with the above.

Not so short answer:

Cars are dinosaurs. Heck most of the people on the planet don't even have one.
Keep em out in the drive.
Shop space is too important to your sanity.
Over half the year it is winter here and opening the door to let all the heat out and giving the local thugs a good look at my tools turned out to be reasons to not open my shop door much.

But then . . . I'm not "normal". :)
Thank Bob.

John Sanford
06-05-2014, 1:25 AM
Short answer :

I agree with the above.

Not so short answer:

Cars are dinosaurs. Heck most of the people on the planet don't even have one.
Yet. 83 million new cars were sold last year.

Matthew N. Masail
06-05-2014, 2:17 AM

I'll take 1 thank you.

Pat Barry
06-05-2014, 8:55 AM
Sounds like your vice is on the front left side of your bench. Therefore, I would either move the bench (downward as shown in your sketch) or move it to the left hand wall. I wouldn't want to be stepping up and down all day and worrying about taking a step backward.

Prashun Patel
06-05-2014, 9:12 AM
I'd just move the bench away from the step.
Alternatively, can you move the face vise to the right side of the bench? If I didn't have a tail vise, I'd want mine on the right only because it makes sawing to length a little easier for me, a right hander.
Or can you buy an end vise and do all your ops from the right side?

Malcolm Schweizer
06-05-2014, 9:16 AM
Have you considered some sort of retractable caster system? I think that would be a better bet. All my stuff is on wheels from my previous tiny workshop (and the current one isn't just huge). I have seen some very innovative designs for retractable casters on even very heavy ruobo benches. I have even seen motorcycle jacks put to use for this.

Without the caster idea, I would move the bench closer to the center of the wall it is currently on. I wouldn't like the step idea because you might step off it.

Sean Hughto
06-05-2014, 9:39 AM
Do you use this space to park cars? If not, move the bench out from the wall so that you can move around all sides freely.

Matthew N. Masail
06-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Here is another thought:

how much space do you have from the far wall (where the step is) to where the front of the cars end up parked?

if it is more than 100", you could build a ramp to match the step and make that whole platform 100" deep. that way you could literally have most of your workshop on that platform, you could even build a half wall at the end of the platform to hang tools and stuff. might end up kinda nice. of course this is only if you have the space.

Adrian Ponik
06-05-2014, 11:43 AM
So, responses to some comments/questions:

1. I don't really want to cut the bench shorter and put it on the step just because there would then be 20 inches between the back of the bench and the wall, basically making it wasted space. It is a possibility, but kind of a last resort one for me.

2. Moving the bench closer to the middle of the wall is something I had considered, but I do need to park cars in the garage so I was trying to keep the bench out of the way of the doors as much as possible. Again, a possibility and may very well be what I end up doing.

3. Adding concrete to the step/enlarging it is a non-starter.

4. Not enough space between the cars to permanently put the bench in between them.

5. I hadn't thought about a caster system. It is something I should look into further.

6. There is maybe 3 feet between the front of the cars and the step up, so a total of about 6.5 feet between the cars and the front wall. I'm having a little trouble visualizing in my head what Matt is describing above, not quite sure I get it...

I guess I'm wondering how much space people have between the front of their bench and the closest obstacle. In other words, how much "standing space" is comfortable in front of the bench? For example, if 36 inches in front of the bench is a comfortable working space I'm thinking about putting some tape on the floor just to mark the space so I get a feel for how much I need, regardless of where I put the bench.
Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Jim Koepke
06-05-2014, 12:29 PM
I guess I'm wondering how much space people have between the front of their bench and the closest obstacle. In other words, how much "standing space" is comfortable in front of the bench? For example, if 36 inches in front of the bench is a comfortable working space I'm thinking about putting some tape on the floor just to mark the space so I get a feel for how much I need, regardless of where I put the bench.

You may not notice all the times you step on the tape. If you have a saw bench or saw horse to use in place of the tape that will let you know physically how much room you need.

I am always bumping up against my saw benches. I use them like stools a lot of the time.

jtk

Tom Vanzant
06-05-2014, 2:16 PM
If you move the WB to the rear wall, build a platform in front of the step and level with it. It's not the front bumper but the front wheels that limit the width of the platform.

Winton Applegate
06-05-2014, 9:56 PM

Humans are slow learners.
When some one talks to me about automobiles. Even asks advice. And keeping in mind I have rebuilt engines, worked in a top shelf body shop where we worked (including specializing in replacing unibody panels using Celette "benches" to factory perfect standards) on exclusively Porsche, Audi and Mercedes (even a few of those BMWs). Quite a few. Machined parts for classic cars including Lamborghinis. Classics are OK in my book. Just take it out on the week end and go on a nice trip. Use public transit and bikes etc. for the every day. Rent a truck or van when you need it.

you know . . .

. . . where was I ? . . . oh yah.

When people ask I say you might as well put your money in a hole in the ground and set fire to it.
Just my opinion.
I won't go off on a big old rat hole.

Here's and interesting link (http://www.worldometers.info/bicycles/). I don't pay a bit of attention to this stuff generally; until you tossed out that figure.
Manufactures tend to sell about all they can produce.

Winton Applegate
06-05-2014, 11:09 PM
Up on the step will put you closer to the ceiling. Bad for two reasons: First it is warmer in hot weather close to the ceiling and second if you are maneuvering an eight foot plank or sheet of plywood etc. it is nice to have some head room.

Max Headroom. Remember that old TV show ?
Sorry, couldn’t help it.

Bench on casters (http://www.newyankee.com/index.php?id=53#!/~/product/category=1855062&id=7916621); see Norm.

Another alternative; takes some bucks; you can afford cars so you must have lots of bucks; maybe you don't have lots of bucks because you have cars.

I could do that all night.

anyway . . . another alternative . . . what my friend Ken does and what Queenmasteroftheuniverseandbabybunnytrainer does (she has a driver's license but no car so . . . anyway) . . .

Rent a studio or shop space away from home.
Not for me . . . I like going out to the shop in my bunny slippers as it were but maybe for you . . . yes ?

Derek Cohen
06-06-2014, 1:25 AM
My current struggle is where to put my bench. Currently it is in the front rightmost corner of the garage (see sketch below). This location works ok, but the side of the bench is against a step that runs the width of my garage.

Why not remove most of the step (leaving just enough for the door)? Is there a reason for the step, such as it is holding up the house? If not, get to work - it is otherwise going to be a thorn in your side for as long as you live there.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Matthew N. Masail
06-06-2014, 2:06 AM
My current struggle is where to put my bench. Currently it is in the front rightmost corner of the garage (see sketch below). This location works ok, but the side of the bench is against a step that runs the width of my garage.

Why not remove most of the step (leaving just enough for the door)? Is there a reason for the step, such as it is holding up the house? If not, get to work - it is otherwise going to be a thorn in your side for as long as you live there.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Of all the comments, it takes a true Aussie to consider demolition! ;):)

to the OP:

I have a wall behind my bench, where I have a small table and hang tool and such. I find that I need at least 40" of space from the closets obstacle to work comfortable and never bump anything. so if you can make your platform and have 50" (according to 6.5 feet you said) of space to stand on, that might be comfortable to do, you could add a little fence or wooden wall to prevent falling and to hang tools. and the cars would never be in the way. better yet Derek's Idea gives you the same option and complete freedom to re-arrange in the future.

Winton Applegate
06-06-2014, 2:34 AM
it takes a true Aussie to consider demolition!

I saw one of Derek's old business cards for his counseling practice once.

At the bottom, away from all the other text, in small print it said :

have jackhammer, will travel
stones in your path a specialty.

Derek Cohen
06-06-2014, 2:44 AM
You jest, Winton, but I was just about to suggest that you and I team up for this job. Just picture it ... you in your bunny slippers and me saying, "you call that a jack hammer ...?! ".

Where were you when I needed help some years ago with my '57 Porsche 356? You'd have love that one.

Regards from Perth (actually a cold and wet Cape Town)

Derek

Adrian Ponik
06-06-2014, 7:51 AM

Regards from Perth

Derek

I would love to remove most of the step, but according to local building code it has to be there. Based on my limited understanding of the building code, the step is there to prevent exhaust gasses from entering the structure. Since exhaust gasses are heavier than air and the concrete is (relatively) nonporous the gasses are forced out of the garage instead of having the potential to enter the house.

Anyway, the step has to stay if I want to stay legal.

Brian Holcombe
06-06-2014, 8:36 AM
Buy two cars that are too large for the garage, problem solved.

Sean Hughto
06-06-2014, 8:42 AM
Buy two cars that are too large for the garage, problem solved.

Or buy two mini's that fit in one space. Or maybe it's an excuse to trade in that second car for a motorocycle.

Jim Koepke
06-06-2014, 11:52 AM
To me the easiest solution would be to park the car(s) outside. I can not recall a time in my life where a car of mine was parked in a garage.

Often to get one thing it is necessary to give up another.

jtk

Jim Matthews
06-06-2014, 6:50 PM
I'll take 1 thank you.

Where would you park it?
That's the advantage we have in North America,
the roads came after the cars.

Yours were built for something the size of what - a bicycle?

I hear that Tel Aviv is so crowded that you have to drive out of town, just to turn around....

Matthew N. Masail
06-07-2014, 11:03 AM
I hear that Tel Aviv is so crowded that you have to drive out of town, just to turn around....

Lol, Not quite, depends where..... finding parking can be close to impossible at certain places even if it's just a regular day. Manhattan is more crowded.

Winton Applegate
06-08-2014, 3:17 PM
Me in my
bunny slippers with the jackhammer.
Ha, Ha, ha, ha,
(not pretty)
Do you really think you can cure me doc ?
I want to change. I feel that it is time. I just don't know anything else. Where to go frome here.

57 Porsche 356

Niiiiyyyyyiiice !
The guy next door has one of those. So race ready it sounds barely street legal.
I don't care for all that but the whole canyon knows when he takes her out for a liitle romp up the pass.
and I quote:

Rakkk ! Growel Rakkk Rakkk Rakkk POP POP POPPITY POP KRRRAWWWWWW
POP POP POPPITY POP KRRRAWWWWWW

I'm sure your's isn't like that. A sweet sports classic for sure. I'm just saying his is a bit over the top, down the other side and half way into the weeds.

Winton Applegate
06-08-2014, 4:20 PM
Buy two cars that are too large for the garage,
A brace of Suburbans perhaps.

Fun to drive. Not.

Problem solved
well partially anyway

Then

Buy two mini's
Fun to drive. ‘ell yah !

Park one mini in each Suburban. I can’t think of a use for a Suburban other than as a shelter to protect a real car from the elements.

problem solved.

How to get the mini into the Suburban ? No problem . . .
. . . dig a hole, park the suburban in it, drive the Mini in.

Looks like we are back to the hole in the ground.