PDA

View Full Version : Picture Resizer

Peter Stahl
06-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Looking for a free (if possible) picture resizer. I was using PIXresizer but the new download you have to down load a bunch of programs that I didn't want. I have Windows 8.1 if it matters. Just want to resize my camera pictures so I can post them on a web page like Facebook.

Bruce Pratt
06-04-2014, 12:53 PM
just google picture resize download... there are many to choose from.

glenn bradley
06-04-2014, 1:21 PM
PixResizer has served me well for years.

Dwight Rutherford
06-04-2014, 1:22 PM
I use SimpleResize. Free and easy to use.

Larry Browning
06-04-2014, 1:28 PM
Interesting enough, just the other day I needed to resize a couple pictures for upload to SMC. Way back in th XP days there was a powertoy called Image Resizer, which sadly does not work in Win7 or 8. It was very convenient in that you could right click on a photo or group of photos in the explorer and resize them very easily. Apparently it has been revived and can be downloaded here: http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/
AFAIK it doesn't have any "junk" that comes along with it and it works great!

There is also one called Light Image Resizer which does about the same thing as Image Resizer but I'm pretty sure is not related in any way to the one above. I don't know as much about this one, but it looks pretty similar. It is not open source like the one above though.
http://www.obviousidea.com/windows-software/light-image-resizer/?ap=avangate&aid=1488&afs=wwwslider

Judson Green
06-04-2014, 1:52 PM
I feel your pain. Using android here, but was having to resize photos all the time, very annoying.

So, I stopped taking high resolution photos. I know on some of these new smart phones you can't change the resolution, but on a camera maybe you can. I'm using my old phone in the shop for taking photos and it allows me to change the resolution, its also connected wirelessly to my home network and am using an application to automatically upload the photos to my Gdrive. Pretty cool.

I'm also not too concerned about dropping my old phone on the concrete, as I would be with my daily (somewhat newish) phone.

Dave Sheldrake
06-04-2014, 1:54 PM
Prish Resizer works with both 32 and 64 bit versions of win 7 / 8 and adds to the right click option for batch resising

cheers

Dave

Grant Wilkinson
06-04-2014, 4:45 PM
Irfanview.

Moses Yoder
06-04-2014, 4:47 PM
I am leery of downloading and installing ANY free programs. I resize pics on this website free all the time ; RESIZE IMAGES ONLINE (http://www.shrinkpictures.com/). When I am working off line on my computer and do not need to change the resolution I use Paint and simply scale it down.

Larry Frank
06-04-2014, 8:16 PM
I am running Windows 7 and there is a Microsoft picture re-sizer available in it and I think it is also in Windows 8. I use it all the time to down size photos.

Larry Browning
06-04-2014, 10:07 PM
I am running Windows 7 and there is a Microsoft picture re-sizer available in it and I think it is also in Windows 8. I use it all the time to down size photos.
Could you please share how this is done please? Are you using Paint?

Mike Olson
06-05-2014, 9:37 AM
Right click the picture and choose Send To > Mail Recipient. It should ask what size, then once the message opens up, save the attached image. I don't do this too often but it works when I need to just re-size without needing to crop or edit.

Larry Frank
06-05-2014, 8:05 PM
Actually, it was a download called "Image Resizer for Windows" by Brice Lambson. It acts just like the one that was in Windows XP.

I have been using it for over a year now with no problems.

Curt Harms
06-06-2014, 8:52 AM
It may seem like and maybe is overkill but GIMP. GIMP will resize, save as different file formats and vary the compression/quality. I start with a multi-megapixel image that's maybe 1500 X 2300 pixels. For posting here, I find 800 X 600 works pretty well so resize then set the 'dot density' to 72. Export to jpeg and set quality to around 25%. That 250K-500K jpeg is now around 20-40K and still looks just fine on a monitor. GIMP is available for Windows, Mac & Linux. The $ is free, the cost is the learning curve if you want to use all its capabilities. You're getting a program comparable to Adobe Photoshop Elements.

David C. Roseman
06-06-2014, 9:03 AM
Easy Thumbnails, by Fookes Software, is a great little freeware program I've used for years. Very powerful, but simple and intuitive.

http://www.fookes.com/downloads.php?product=ezthumbs

I've found the output size setting of 480 x 640 to be great for general uploading. But you can set it for whatever need you have.

Regards. David

Ole Anderson
06-06-2014, 5:41 PM
I just use Microsoft Office Picture Manager, it gives you a wide range of resizing choices.