PDA

View Full Version : Neander methods aren't my strong point

Aaron Berk
06-03-2014, 10:26 PM
:rolleyes:

Took a few hrs of personal me time.
Looks like I need more practice on hand cut joinery.
290558 290559 290560

Stool is a personal interpretation of a shaker style stool in a current ww'ing mag

johnny means
06-03-2014, 10:33 PM
I think it looks great. I've seen plenty of high dollar stuff done no better.

Aaron Berk
06-03-2014, 10:52 PM
The whole time I was fitting the joints I kept telling myself, "just paint it if it looks bad" LOL!

But I think I'll just fill those cracks and spray on some poly.
Toss it into the house and let the kids trash it.

It was a quick fun stress reliever

HANK METZ
06-04-2014, 12:40 AM
Run a "V" chisel around the joint lines, it then becomes part of the "design element", accept the praise that follows but remain modest. :D

Dale Murray
06-04-2014, 8:13 AM
I have been thinking about making that myself. Looks good to me.

Mike Wilkins
06-04-2014, 8:58 AM
I think you did a fine job. Hand tool skills are not as simple as pushing the green start button. The more you practice the better and more confident you get. Keep up the fine work and watch those fingers.

Andrew Pitonyak
06-04-2014, 10:16 AM
The whole time I was fitting the joints I kept telling myself, "just paint it if it looks bad" LOL!

But I think I'll just fill those cracks and spray on some poly.
Toss it into the house and let the kids trash it.

It was a quick fun stress reliever

I think you did a great job. I recently created a hand cut dovetail box. The dovetails were cut in red oak, which is not forgiving and there were some gaps. OK, who am I kidding, I would have had gaps with a much softer cherry, but.... I slapped a little bit of filler in there, slapped on some shellac, and those gaps disappeared.

Again, nice looking stool.

Jim Matthews
06-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Even money says a couple clamps, some slow setting glue and you're ready for finish.

It's a footstool, not a Tansu for the Emperor.
Nicely done.

Brian Kincaid
06-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Looks fine to me. It's hand-made!

-Brian

Sid Matheny
06-04-2014, 10:57 AM
if you were trying for perfect you didn't make it but if you were trying for a great looking stool you nailed it!

Sid

johnny means
06-04-2014, 11:10 AM
if you were trying for perfect you didn't make it but if you were trying for a great looking stool you nailed it!

Sid

Actually, from the looks of it, he didn't "nail it".

ba-dum-bum-CHING:)

Aaron Berk
06-04-2014, 12:35 PM
actually, from the looks of it, he didn't "nail it".

ba-dum-bum-ching:)

:d:d:d ha ha ha!

Aaron Berk
06-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Thanks for all the kind words.
Pushing the green button, lol I like that one.

I should have time tonight to fire up the HVLP and spray the stool.
We'll see if I can work any magic.

paul cottingham
06-04-2014, 12:56 PM
A very nice piece of work indeed. The joinery looks pretty damn good to me. Gaps (I can't see any that would get my butt in a knot) prove that it is handmade.

johnny means
06-04-2014, 1:04 PM
Thanks for all the kind words.
Pushing the green button, lol I like that one.

I should have time tonight to fire up the HVLP and spray the stool.
We'll see if I can work any magic.
NO! NO! NO! At this point doesn't it deserve to be lovingly hand rubbed with some traditional oil finish.

Aaron Berk
06-04-2014, 2:32 PM
NO! NO! NO! At this point doesn't it deserve to be lovingly hand rubbed with some traditional oil finish.

:o
Sorry man, My personal time got used up making the stool.
As of now, the stool rode into the spray room with a desk top I'm doing, it now has 2 coats of lacquer. :)
It'll end up with 3-4 coats.

I did however skip filling any joint voids, it'll be a testament to my efforts at crossing over.....:D

Jay Jolliffe
06-04-2014, 4:46 PM
Nice design & it looks great. I wouldn't paint it but I know my wife wood as she like painted wood.Let it age as is. That's what I'd do.Maybe a little rub on wax..

lowell holmes
06-04-2014, 8:10 PM
What cracks. I see no cracks. Great piece!

If you will insert wedges in the two mortises that show small gaps , they will disappear.

Chris Padilla
06-04-2014, 8:36 PM
Well I think it looks awful. All those gaps I could drive a semi through and the chip-out...good heavens!! All this praise...SHEESH! ;)

Of course, they don't call me MR. PUTTY for no reason. :p

(Looks great...we all gotta start somewhere but most of us don't have the guts to post our trials. What kind of wood? Ash or maybe fir...clear pine?)