PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard cameras

John O'Brien
06-03-2014, 7:45 PM
I'm strongly thinking of buying a dash cam. I have an RV and would like to be able to move it between vehicles.

I've Googled for reviews, etc. and each site has their favorite, highly rated one. Some do not provide user manuals in English.

I think it would be fun to have pictures taken as you are driving down the road, you see something of interest (animal, or sign, etc. ) and by the time you can get your camera or phone out, it's too late.

There is also the safety aspect of having an "eye witness" as to what goes on in front of you.

Any experience with one that you could recommend?

Thanks

John

Myk Rian
06-03-2014, 8:04 PM
I use my Android phone running Lapse it Pro.
If you also use the phone for maps, no problem. Lapse It works all the time.
You can set it to take a picture every second, hundredth, 10 seconds, whatever you want.
I used it on our trip to the Canyons in Arizona, and had it propped in the bus window.

Dan Hintz
06-04-2014, 5:58 AM
Go Pro....

John O'Brien
06-04-2014, 9:14 PM
Found a Garmin that looks interesting. Will probably get it if I don't read anything bad about it.

Bill Cunningham
06-08-2014, 9:35 AM
have a JVC action cam, it's small, waterproof to 15 ft. without a extra case, the video is very good, but the sound is terrible due to wind buffeting. Gopro is good, but it's not worth what they want for them. I also mount my Nikon P510 on the dash sometimes, and that video quality far exceeds the gopro.

Jason Roehl
06-08-2014, 3:06 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Pivothead-Recording-Polarized-Hand-Free-Sunglasses/dp/B008KHGZ2W

Bill Cunningham
06-10-2014, 8:39 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Pivothead-Recording-Polarized-Hand-Free-Sunglasses/dp/B008KHGZ2W It would be a lot more useful if it had more memory or at least a micro SD port that would add more. 8gb at 1080 ain't much.

John O'Brien
06-10-2014, 9:48 PM
After much thought I bought a Garmin dash cam 20. It has good reviews, comes with built in gps and other neat features. Also bought a 32gb card so can record over 8 hours before it writes over itself.

same price at all over so I bought from Crutchfield. Free shipping, lifetime tech support and a 60 day return policy. Will see how it works this weekend.