PDA

View Full Version : Okay, Okay you've shamed me into another build or two.

Shawn Pixley
06-03-2014, 5:10 PM
I have been living vicariously through Julie's adventures. And I am impressed by her fearlessness in aproaching the work. I think I need to build another guitar. So my question is which to build - small bodied acoustic or a telecaster knock off.

Case for acoustic - I indulged in buying a Lowden acoustic this spring. What an excelent instrument! I also have a very nice Martin and 70's handbuilt brazillian rosewood Gianinni that has been played almost to death. I built an accoustic that I gave to my son at Christmas.

Case for Telecaster - I love teles and have three (one fender & 2 G&L). My son lusts over these guitars. I thought I might build him a nice Tele. I would cut his with belly relief not because he is fat (5'-10" / 130) but he holds his guitar much higher than I do.

So what is your thinking? Opinions?

Mike Ontko
06-03-2014, 5:21 PM
My thinking has always been--four fingers, four strings. Build a bass! Ukelele?

Sotos Patistas
06-03-2014, 6:12 PM
Tele, Tele, Tele.......

Julie Moriarty
06-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Yeaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!! This is going to be fun! :D

You said it yourself Shawn - you love Teles. And now that I know your son loves them too, the decision is simple. And take and post LOTS of pictures! :D :D :D

Jim Creech
06-04-2014, 9:06 AM
Go with the acoustic first! You can always knock out the Tele while you're waiting for glue to dry.

Paul McGaha
06-04-2014, 11:24 AM
Telecaster.

PHM

Sotos Patistas
06-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Actually, if the polls are still open, I'd like to change my vote. Although I love all things Tele, and the model's broad flexibility has been proven by the likes of Bickert and Greene, there are already dozens, if not hundreds of Tele builds to be found on the Interwebs. So, in light of that, as well as the expertise to be found right here in this here very forum, perhaps an acoustic build would place more valuable information into the archives. If it should happen to turn out to be a nylon string acoustic, you will have my undying gratitude.

So, I vote Acoustic.

Shawn Pixley
06-05-2014, 2:02 PM
Actually, if the polls are still open, I'd like to change my vote. Although I love all things Tele, and the model's broad flexibility has been proven by the likes of Bickert and Greene, there are already dozens, if not hundreds of Tele builds to be found on the Interwebs. So, in light of that, as well as the expertise to be found right here in this here very forum, perhaps an acoustic build would place more valuable information into the archives. If it should happen to turn out to be a nylon string acoustic, you will have my undying gratitude.

So, I vote Acoustic.

Sotos,

That is a very interesting thought. I don't generally play a nylon or a gut stringed guitar, but some of the tones are very appealing for some songs. What if I built a parlor sized nylon stringed guitar? I'd probably still radius the fretboard and I assume I would need to widen it a bit for the increased string thickness. The downside would like be that it would have little punch or projection. Interesting thought, let me mull that over.

Chuck Raudonis
06-06-2014, 12:14 AM
Sotos,

That is a very interesting thought. I don't generally play a nylon or a gut stringed guitar, but some of the tones are very appealing for some songs. What if I built a parlor sized nylon stringed guitar? I'd probably still radius the fretboard and I assume I would need to widen it a bit for the increased string thickness. The downside would like be that it would have little punch or projection. Interesting thought, let me mull that over.

Ooooohhhhhhh....nylon string acoustic.....

I ain't got one of those...all of a sudden I need one. You have my vote!

paul cottingham
06-06-2014, 12:16 AM
Build a Bass! Be one of the cool kids! Failing that a Tele is the way to go.

Dok Yager
06-06-2014, 10:11 PM
Hmm I haven`t had a nylon string acoustic in decades. Might be nice for your son for something different.

Ron Lindner
06-08-2014, 7:13 PM
I am just a hanger on her but my vote is for an Acoustic especially a small body.

Chuck Raudonis
06-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Build a Bass! Be one of the cool kids! Failing that a Tele is the way to go.

You want a bass build? Here's mine for your perusal.

http://thewaywardluthier.wordpress.com