PDA

View Full Version : how good is your hearing protection?

ray hampton
06-03-2014, 3:10 PM
are you talking to ME ? a woman that work for a airport in the Ohio state got HIT on her head with a working propeller , the report did not explain why but I think that she got a good hearing muffs which kept her from hearing the blade sound, we need the name of the company that made the muffs

Justin Ludwig
06-03-2014, 4:10 PM
are you talking to ME ? a woman that work for a airport in the Ohio state got HIT on her head with a working propeller , the report did not explain why but I think that she got a good hearing muffs which kept her from hearing the blade sound, we need the name of the company that made the muffs

Sounds like a bucket full of prop wash to me. Pun intended.

Dan Hintz
06-03-2014, 4:21 PM
The more likely scenario is she either didn't see the prop (the least likely of the two suggestions since she would probably not be walking around if she walked into an up-to-speed prop) or she was standing underneath it when they turned over the starter coil (one good thunk and she went down and out of the way).

Even active protection would have a tough time hiding a running engine right next to your head...

Jerome Stanek
06-03-2014, 4:35 PM
and if she had hearing protection on she may not hear the pilot yell clear to prop.

ray hampton
06-03-2014, 5:45 PM
according to the story , the PILOT yell at her to get back BUT if the pilot was in the cockpit then she would not been able to heard him either , if she was assign to work alone then her company fail

Tom Stenzel
06-03-2014, 5:59 PM
According to the Dayton Daily News, the woman has passed away.

She was an office managerfor a skydiving school. It's believed she was going to ask a pilot if he wanted any food and walked into a running prop. Just tragic

-Tom

Brian W Smith
06-03-2014, 6:30 PM
It is tragic......

Brett Luna
06-03-2014, 6:34 PM
I worked around USAF fighters for 12 years out of more than 20. Prop strikes are ugly events. Aside from jet intakes/exhaust and ejection seat pins, I'm glad the other things I had to watch out for generally didn't bite quite as hard as a spinning prop.

Justin Ludwig
06-03-2014, 6:41 PM
I worked around USAF fighters for 12 years out of more than 20. Prop strikes are ugly events. Aside from jet intakes/exhaust and ejection seat pins, I'm glad the other things I had to watch out for generally didn't bite quite as hard as a spinning prop.

that's why they have the "safety diamond" during engine operation. QA and the Chiefs would have our bums if they caught us in the safety diamond during ops. During AirCon checks where engines had to be running, they tied a safety rope to the person going under the fuselage because someone in the 80s came out and went aft instead of fore. Poof, red mist, and safety ropes are born. Good ol' Navy days.

Brett, did you guys have to post gory safety pictures all over the shops?

Brett Luna
06-03-2014, 6:53 PM
Brett, did you guys have to post gory safety pictures all over the shops?

Yep, there were a few. The ones I remembered most showed the consequences of wearing a ring on the job. Degloving isn't pretty either.

ray hampton
06-04-2014, 4:56 PM
According to the Dayton Daily News, the woman has passed away.

She was an office managerfor a skydiving school. It's believed she was going to ask a pilot if he wanted any food and walked into a running prop. Just tragic

-Tom

THANKS for the update on the worker, news of her death are upsetting