PDA

View Full Version : Soft start module for universal motors?

Phil Thien
06-03-2014, 2:11 PM
So this last weekend I purchased an inexpensive jobsite saw (Porter Cable PCB222TS, which is the updated version of the PCB220TS) at Lowes.

It is a decent saw for my purposes.

But it doesn't have a soft start and I gotta tell you, turning that thing on makes me kind of jump a bit.

I had thought about wiring a router speed control to it, but then I'd have to start on low and then speed it up. And I'd like to avoid carting another box around.

So I got to thinking about soft start controls in some router and other tools. Some of these, like my DeWalt DW621, have a tachometer mounted to the shaft and will adjust power to maintain a speed.

It seems some others, though, just attempt to start the motor up a little slower and then give it straight line voltage after a couple of seconds.

So the question is, is there something I could fairly easily add to the saw (there is an electrical box for the switch that seems mostly empty) that would provide this function?

Peter Quinn
06-03-2014, 9:49 PM
I know festool and makita track saws both have soft start, and its nice unless you ease up on the trigger for a second during a cut, such as happens when you adjust your position, and it slows down....makes me nuts. I know some hand held circular saws amp up a bit quicker than others and jump a bit when doing so, I'm pretty happy with my old makita, doesn't start with a buck, winds up just slow enough to control but fast enough to be productive when framing or similar. So no suggestions for an external box, but perhaps try a different saw?