PDA

View Full Version : Jet or Nova?

Hank Walczak
06-28-2005, 9:29 PM
Opinions? I'm going to buy one of these soon. The Jet 1442 or the 8 speed Nova 3000. What would you get? Why?

RL Johnson
06-28-2005, 10:08 PM
JET 708359
Love that variable speed.

Cecil Arnold
06-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Had the jet, liked it, upgraded to PM3520A, didn't need the 42" spindel lenght and wanted more capicity and power. For a variable speed w/o the dc drive I think the Jet is one of the best around and don't think you could go wrong. I also think it is the most bang for the bucks.

Gary Max
06-29-2005, 6:42 AM
Parts and service---Jet wins hands down.

Barbara Gill
06-29-2005, 8:27 AM
My first lathe, a Nova 3000, had variable speed.

James Aguanno
06-29-2005, 11:00 AM
For me it was the Nova. I based my decision on my needs. I do not need a long bed, and if I do, I can buy an extension. I also liked the extra 2" of swing. The nova has a low speed of 250 RPM, which for me was a big plus, and out weighed the problem of manually changing the speeds (by the way, it is very easy to change the speed). It is also very easy to upgrade the Nova to an electronic Variable speed motor (there are many available packages, for instance dealerselectric.com).

I turned on the Jet once before I made my final decision, and did not like the stability. Granted, I could have added some ballast, but I liked the idea of building my own stand to suit my needs.

Fred Ray
06-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Have three of the Jet 1442 s in the shop of the Greenville (SC) Woodworkers Guild being used/abused by a lot of people. Also use them for turning mentoring mentoring classes. They are running and holding up beautifully in spite of some real abuse by unknowing beginners. I would highly recommend it as the best in the under $1500 range. If you can go to around $1700, the Jet 1642 variable frequency 2 h.p. is an even better machine.

Chris Barton
06-29-2005, 12:01 PM
Go for the PM3520a if you can muster up a few hundred more bucks. Osolniks has a great deal on these and free shipping! By buying online I saved $250 in taxes, and another $100 in delivery charges. Joe Olsolnik is a great person to do business with.

Chris

Hank Walczak
06-29-2005, 4:20 PM
Chris - The Jet & Nova are under $900. The Cheapest I've ever seen a PM3520 was a LOT more than that. Well over $2K. That's more than a few hundred... More than I'm willing to spend.

Hank

Michael Stafford
06-29-2005, 5:27 PM
Hank, I have a Nova 3000 and mine is the 8 speed. You are correct, you can find them for much less than $1k. I love my lathe. It runs smoothly, has plenty of power and I have had only one problem with it- a faulty switch which Teknatool had air freighted to me over night. Since then it has performed flawlessly.

Some of the shortcomings, if you wish to call them that, are you have to build a stand for it as the sheet metal stand that is sold is too flimsy and the cast iron legs are very expensive. I chose to build a laminated 2X10 stand with 2X6 and 2X8 cross members. Not beautiful but rugged and massive and heavy. Halfway down, I used the 2X8 crossmembers to construct a box with a lid to hold all my accessories and add further weight to the assembly. I also made a provision to hand barbell weights off of each end which I do. This lathe is not going anywhere, stable and steady as a rock. Lastly I laminated 4 layers of 3/4" plywood and wrapped it in oak to serve as the top of my stand, again heavy and massive.

If you purchase a Nova make sure you mount it on some hardwood or dense rubber pads just so you can have a little additional clearance under the ways. The mounting pads on the ways only give you about 3/4" clearance.

The Nova weighs in excess of 220 pounds without a stand, or additional bed sections. With my stand and other weight bearing objects I figure my whole lathe assembly weighs in excess of 600 pounds.

I love my Nova. I am sure there are much better lathes available maybe even for the same money. I cannot say as I have only this lathe and some more expensive ones that I have been fortunate enough to turn on as points of comparison. The Nova does a fine job of turning IMHO.

The last time I made comments about my own experience with my own lathe on this forum I was told I did not know what I was talking about but for what it is worth I think it is a fine machine....

Bill Stevener
06-29-2005, 5:55 PM
The Nova and Jet lathes you have noted are somewhat equally comparative. What one offers the other one does not, and it goes back and forth all day long. Same goes for what ones likes and or thinks there needs are. If I may, I would suggest visiting a dealer, and or a turning club and getting some hands on experience with each of the lathes you have narrowed your choice down to. Only then, will it be your decision, and only then will you be happy, with the lathe you chose to set up in your shop and turn on.

Hope this helps some with your choice.

Bill..>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Chris Barton
06-29-2005, 6:40 PM
Sorry, I had a brain fart and was thinking of the DVR and 1642...

Chris

Clem Wixted
06-29-2005, 7:47 PM
I recently got a great bargin on a Jet 1442 reeves drive lathe with the cast iron legs. I also have a Powermatic 3520A.

Both of these lathes are too tall for my 5' 7' height. I need a platform in front of each and it makes for a little more work in cleaning up and I frequently have to watch my step so I won't trip.

If you have to make a bench for your lathe you can make it to your exact height needs.

Clem

Dale Thompson
06-29-2005, 8:56 PM
Hank,
I was used to electronic variable speed because of my PM 3520. :) I REALLY wanted the Jet mini for use up at my cabin but it didn't have VS. :( When it came out, I bought it immediately. My vote? Variable speed!! With todays technology, changing belts on a bunch of pulleys is like launching the Space Shuttle from Jurassic park. ;) It takes time, diverts your attention and, sometimes, gets that greasy "belt dust" all over your hands and, much worse, your project! :eek:

I recently went to the Delta drill press simply because it has VS. It's a REAL pleasure to use and I don't have to wash my hands every time I change speeds! The only thing I miss on the Jet VS Mini is reverse. I like it on the PM for sanding and finishing. It keeps the sawdust, EEE Ultra-Shine and "Witch's Brew" finish from blowing back in your face. :) ;)

Just a thought!

Dale T.

Hank Walczak
06-29-2005, 9:30 PM
Dale - It would be nice to have VS on the lathe but The $1000 more for the Nova DVR or the Jet 1642 is something that someone with deeper pockets than me will have to get. I have more hobbies than money. Woodturning doesn't always get priority. My Vette and guns would get lonesome!!!:D
Thanks for the input...

Hank

Jean Holland
07-02-2005, 2:36 PM
I got the Jet 1442, and I am really happy. I get a really good deal on it, too. It was well work the money.