PDA

View Full Version : Masonry Lap Siding at Gable Peak

Dennis Putnam
06-03-2014, 5:22 AM
I'm installing masonry lap siding (not exactly woodworking but I figure you folks have all the answers anyway) and have reached the gable peak. As I stood there measuring, I realized I have no clue how to attach the final piece and can find nothing on line. If I nail it, due to its size I am sure it will blow apart, plus the nails are exposed. I guess exposing the nails is unavoidable and can be sealed with a little NP1 if they can be put in, plus it is under the eve. So what is the trick? Glue it up instead with the NP1 and use brads to hold it until the NP1 cures? Its a gambrel roof so the angle of the ends is 60 and the height is <6" at the peak making it a wide, short triangle. TIA.

John Schweikert
06-03-2014, 8:03 AM
If we're talking about fiber cement such as Hardie siding, finishing nails work just fine. Recess the nail heads and fill with putty and paint. I've used nail guns with Hardie. Siding gun can sometimes split the fiber cement but finishing nailer does fine in the tight areas. To avoid splitting, stay about an inch from the edge.

Dennis Putnam
06-03-2014, 8:30 AM
Thanks. I kind of thought that was the case but I was not sure if finishing nails would eventually pull through. Do you think the addition of NP1 behind the lap join would help secure it?

Jaromir Svoboda
06-03-2014, 10:14 PM
You will caulk it to soffit,right? Caulk and finish nails will hold it.

Dan Rude
06-04-2014, 12:52 AM
I did my house a number of years ago in Cement board. For the hard to reach spots or places where you have to do this, predrill for the larger nail. I used a 1/8" masonry bit, then used a galvanized or stainless nail. Make sure you are nailing into something solid. Then painted over it. Only thing I would do different is to make sure the joints are flashed and skip caulking them. Reason being if you caulk and then paint, the paint cracks on the joint due to expansion. Dan

Steve Rozmiarek
06-04-2014, 1:16 AM
Hang it before you do the soffits, then you can nail behind where the soffit covers. Also greatly simplifies cutting and caulking.