PDA

View Full Version : Durablack Holder?

John Jackson
06-03-2014, 12:11 AM
I have two organizations ask me for outdoor plaques for tree dedication and horticultural identification. They want something that will last a long time but their budget is modest, meaning that cast plaques are out of range.

I was thinking of using Durablack. I have seen various plaque holders with angled faces that would hold a piece of durablack - see photo.

Can anyone suggest a name brand that I can feed into my suppliers? So far I can get the Durablack but I would rather not have to build the holders from scratch.

I am in Canada.

Suggestions?

John Jackson

Mike Null
06-03-2014, 7:16 AM
The Missouri Botanical Gardens uses Rowmark and 1/8" x 1" x 24"-36" black powder coated aluminum stakes. They have literally thousands of such signs and prefer Rowmark over anodized as it tolerates UV rays better. The stakes are bent by hand so precision is not of the essence. (I made signs for them until they bought their own machine several years back.)

See the signs here. http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/Portals/0/Images/Horticulture/PIB/web%20optimized/Allium%20Globemaster.jpg

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/Portals/0/Images/Horticulture/PIB/web%20optimized/Hosta%20garden.jpg

John Jackson
06-03-2014, 8:20 AM
Thanks Mike!

So the stakes look to be solid, not tubular?

Also, so you recall which of the Romark materials you used?

John

Mike Null
06-05-2014, 8:36 AM
I'd suggest the LaserLites but any of their uv safe material will work. Not all are uv safe so be sure to check.

The stakes are flat, 1/8" thick. I had mine cut to 48" then powder coated. I used a bolt cutter to cut to my lengths. I used to pop rivet them when I used anodized aluminum but now I use a high quality tape with no issues. (I filed the edges before painting to get rid of the knife sharp sheared edges.)

Sorry to take so long to answer but we just moved our equipment back into the engraving room after pouring a new concrete floor. (sink hole):mad:

Since you have access to a CNC machine you might consider using a material like Corian.

John Jackson
06-05-2014, 9:50 AM
Thanks!

I am glad I do not have sinkholes to contend with...