Kelly Cleveland
06-02-2014, 6:14 PM
...one of those days.

Scott M Perry
06-02-2014, 6:44 PM
Okay, that's a drag.

Zach Dillinger
06-02-2014, 6:54 PM
We've all done it. Sweep the floor and clean the bench as penance, then move on :)

Jim Matthews
06-02-2014, 6:54 PM
Just slip in some fitted keys.

It's not a mistake,
it's a design element.

My first box with dovetail joints kept getting smaller.
It's not an infinitely reducible design.

When I couldn't get more than one ring inside,
I capitulated and performed the sacrificial rite.

Pat Barry
06-02-2014, 7:39 PM
Just slip in some fitted keys..
You have a picture of a finished box with that key design Jim?

Mel Fulks
06-02-2014, 9:18 PM
Well, it's neatly done. I would resolve to pencil an x onto waste areas before cutting, it's a good habit.

Winton Applegate
06-02-2014, 9:20 PM
I capitulated and performed the sacrificial rite.

Darn . . . I got all excited . . . I thought you typed CATapult.
I wanted to see you fire the box parts over into the next neighborhood.

Winton Applegate
06-02-2014, 9:22 PM
PS: just put some drywall screws into it.
No body but you will notice a little thing like that.

Frederick Skelly
06-02-2014, 9:38 PM
Man Kelly, thats a bummer.

On the lighter side, I recommend Winton's catapult as a frustration reducer.

Darn . . . I got all excited . . . I thought you typed CATapult.
I wanted to see you fire the box parts over into the next neighborhood.

Hee Hee Hee. Win, youve done it again!
Fred

paul cottingham
06-02-2014, 10:04 PM
Seriously, slip in some fitted keys, and tell everyone they are the latest thing. Stare disdainfully at anyone who doesn't believe you.

It will be cool!

Jim Koepke
06-03-2014, 12:51 AM
You are not the first. You will not be the last.

Fortunately mistakes like this turn into life long experience. So this cloud's silver lining may not be shining right now, but someday you will have a laugh over a beer with someone who also had a bad day.

jtk

Mark Almeidus
06-03-2014, 4:55 AM
Haha, when i tried my first dovetails, took me 20 minutes to figure out whats wrong :D.

Don Dorn
06-03-2014, 12:21 PM
Actually, it's nice to see someone admit an error. On the upside, they look like they were well cut and defined as to the base lines. It reminds me of that poster where the canoe maker realized when he was done that one end swooped up and the other down.

Shawn Pixley
06-03-2014, 2:55 PM
Oops! I hate it when that happens.

Sean Hughto
06-03-2014, 3:18 PM
I never did this, but more than once I have sawn on the wrong side of the waste/keep line - ruins things just about as much. I learned it was worth the 5 seconds to plaster x's on the waste in pencil.

Winton Applegate
06-03-2014, 3:34 PM
Frederick,

Win, youve done it again!

WHAT ? ? ! !

I love when Chevy Chase says that with a combination of seriously conflicting expressions that say oh you surprised me, . . sheet . . . they caught me, it's no big deal that you caught me at this despicableness, don't call the police I beg you and it wasn't me doing what ever you just thought you saw which you didn't . . .it was some one else / I just got here and saw them run away in that direction. Maybe.

See the diving board, pool, kitchen with cousin Eddy's daughter Ruby Sue scene in Christmas Vacation.

I'm just going with Shawn's prescription of mayhem.

Kelly Cleveland
06-03-2014, 4:19 PM
The worst part is that I did actually have X's marked. I was thinking about making the box a bit less deep anyway so I think I am just going to saw these off and start fresh.

Winton Applegate
06-03-2014, 8:34 PM
The worst part is that I did actually have X's marked. I was thinking about making the box a bit less deep anyway so I think I am just going to saw these off and start fresh.

oooooooooh
reminds me of the way I worked wood in high school. Two rabets no tenon. Glue on a strip and go again.

I can't learn right with forty subjects all 45 minutes each like clock work. Just when I am starting to get into it and interested . . . BING . . . "now for something COMPLETELY different".

God I hated high school.

I finally taught my self REAL woodworking from books and magazines starting 20 years after the high school disasters.

Doesn't mean I won't do exactly the same as you did.

Ron Lindner
06-08-2014, 7:18 PM
I did that, when I told my Mentor about it, he said "I don't want to hear about it, brings back painful memories"