PDA

View Full Version : Help with deciding on a conversion gun

Michael Gabbay
06-28-2005, 8:43 PM
Hi all!

I'm in a bit of a delimma. I currently have a Porter Cable PSH1 HVLP spray gun. The project I'm working on, a bathroom vanity, is going to be sprayed with Oxford USL colored to base white and Fuhr 9550 primer. According to Jeff Jewitt, the tip I need is between a 1.7mm to 1.9mm. So I tried to order a new tip for the gun (the current one is a 1.5mm). The tip is backordered until August or later. I need to get the vanity painted so I can install it and have the stone fabricator measure and cut the top and the tub deck.

This afternoon I started looking around at other options. One being order another gun, preferrably an upgrade. So here are two guns that I want to consider:

Devilbiss Finishline 3 at $122 from Spraygunworld.com
Asturo BBS at $190 from Homestead Finishing
Both guns are considerably discounted.

For those who know spray guns, is the Asturo a really nice gun? Is the Devilbiss equal to the Asturo? One drawback I see with the Asturo is that the price of nozzles are about $90 a piece.

Thanks, Mike

Bill Neely
06-29-2005, 5:22 AM
Michael, I'm not an expert but I do have the FL3 gun which I like very much. It uses the plastic ziploc liners which are great (can use the gun at any angle, cleans up easily). The fluid and the air controls are independently adjustable, etc. I recently used it to shoot a cabinet unit with Fuhr 355 and it came out beautifully. The downside is that it uses a lot of air ~13 CFM. My compressor is rated for 8.2 CFM @ 40 PSI and it runs a lot while I am painting. I've heard great things about the Asturo and it uses about half the air. $$ made the decision for me, I'm never going to paint like Jon Kosmoski or Jeff Jewitt. Fluid tips are ~25.00 for the FL3.

Michael Gabbay
06-29-2005, 2:17 PM
Bill -

Thanks for the feedback. I had a good discussion with Jeff Jewitt about spray guns today. Based on my Devilbiss vs. Asturo decision, he definately recommended the Asturo over the Finishline. Now his opinion is slightly biased since he was trying to sell me the Asturo anyway ;) . But I did not get the feeling that he was really pushing a sale but rather trying to explain the differences between the two guns. He seems to be a pretty honest guy. The good thing is the Asturo was on sale and it uses half the CFM as the Finishline.

So hopefully my new gun will arrive next week and I can finish the vanity.

Mike

Alden Miller
06-29-2005, 2:39 PM
I'll give you $20 for your PC gun. :D

I am still impressed that you were able to hold out for 26 hours before making the purchase.

Bill, I like your comments on the Devilbiss. Maybe I need a new spray gun, that way Mike and I can have a shoot out. :)

-Alden

Alan Turner
06-29-2005, 5:37 PM
Michael
I have the Asturo HVLP gravity gun, # unknown, and it is great! From Jeff, of course. He is a pleasure to deal with. You get good prduct, and great free advice. Where else can you call up and get the owner answering the phone? And with a smile? Support of such a buisness is among the things I like to do when possible.

Jim Becker
06-29-2005, 8:37 PM
I have a review of the Wagner on my site and spray the TC products with it for every project that gets sprayed. I've also used Fuhr 9100 through the same gun with great results.

On another note, you don't need "primer" with the USL, but if you want to use something like that, consider the TC Emtech. Sprays beautifully.

Michael Gabbay
06-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Alan - thanks for the feedback. I'm really looking forwarding to trying the new gun. Jeff is great to work with, He set me up with the USL and Fuhr 9550.

Jim - Jeff recommended the Fuhr because I was using a colored lacquer. He said the finish would be much better. We'll see. I might do a test piece without the primer to compare.

Alden - I actually met the 24 hour mark but could not get through to Jeff and I was in meetings. :p

Mike

Jim Becker
06-30-2005, 11:43 AM
Jeff is a great resource. If he recommended it...it's the way to go!