PDA

View Full Version : Is your cell phone getting bigger

Don Huffer
06-02-2014, 5:15 PM
Remember how cool it was to have a sleek small cell phone? What happened?

Moses Yoder
06-02-2014, 5:55 PM
I am waiting to update until they have wheels and a popup handle.

Jim Matthews
06-02-2014, 6:01 PM
The Kids got older and found they couldn't read the little numbers.

The electronics inside got smaller.
The display got larger so it could be viewed, at less than arm's length.

Matt Meiser
06-02-2014, 6:08 PM
Mine gets bigger every summer when I put it in my summer case (Otterbox Defender) instead of the winter case (Otterbox Commuter) since I use it a lot while working in the yard in the summer.

Shawn Pixley
06-02-2014, 7:16 PM
I notice cell phones having geographic differences in size. In North America and Western Europe, I see the small iPhone and like devices. In Emerging Asia there is a much higher proportion of the devices trying to straddle the phone / camera / tablet devide with a single device. Too big for a pocket, too small to be an effective tablet. Just not for me.

Rich Enders
06-02-2014, 7:34 PM
I read that the larger cell phones are most popular with the female population who can carry them in their purses. And as usual, conversely for (most) men.

Myk Rian
06-02-2014, 8:17 PM
My Samsung Galaxy S3 is just right for the pocket, and actually reading the screen.
My Wife also has one.

ken masoumi
06-02-2014, 8:20 PM
They are going to eventually get slimmer it seems:

the slimmest smartphone in the Android platform (http://androidadvices.com/top-5-thinnest-designed-android-smart-phones/)

Jerome Stanek
06-02-2014, 8:29 PM
Yeah pretty soon they will have a real handset and their own bag.

glenn bradley
06-02-2014, 8:44 PM
If work didn't require otherwise I would have a small flip phone I could wear on my belt like the good old days.

Justin Ludwig
06-02-2014, 9:24 PM
I read that the larger cell phones are most popular with the female population who can carry them in their purses. And as usual, conversely for (most) men.

Maybe I need to go purse shopping before my next phone purchase.

Matt Meiser
06-02-2014, 9:30 PM
Just wear a tool belt.

Judson Green
06-02-2014, 10:34 PM
one of the things I look for in a cell phone is pocketability. guess if I had a purse I'd get one of those phabletets. but then again a 5 inch screen ain't really tablet size. can't really image a larger phone than I've got currently, a moto razr m, I think a ~4" screen.

Randy Rizzo
06-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Just got an advance model of the new iPhone8. Supposed to be small enough to fit under an airline seat or also in the overhead bins.

Steve Rozmiarek
06-03-2014, 1:51 AM
Yeah pretty soon they will have a real handset and their own bag.

LOL, I actually saw a guy using one of those today!

Rich Engelhardt
06-03-2014, 6:05 AM
If work didn't require otherwise I would have a small flip phone I could wear on my belt like the good old days.
LOL!
The "boss" (AKA -my wife) won't let me get a flip phone either :D.

I mentioned to her that a flip phone from Tracphone was only $14.99 and she nixed the idea because it only has double instead of triple minutes.

:D.

Curt Harms
06-03-2014, 8:23 AM

Yup, if you just need a - you know, phone - that form factor works pretty well. Just stick it in your pocket, the screen and keys are covered. And it's small enough to not require cargo pants sized pockets.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-04-2014, 11:49 AM
I tried one of my friends giant size Samsungs, and besides the storage issues when carrying it, they start to get to a size where using the darn thing one handed is difficult, and typing in widescreen mode gets impossible for those with smaller hands . . .

Bill Edwards(2)
06-05-2014, 1:51 PM
I'm not an iPhone fan, but this is still funny:

Mark Bolton
06-05-2014, 2:19 PM
I just switched from my iPhone 5 to an s5 and am happy but it is big. It's borderline not pocket able in my opinion. And the one handed issue is there however they have a smaller keyboard in the phone that is movable on the screen to help.

I do a lot of sketching/drawing which is why I switched and am happy with it. They all have their ups and downs.

I had heard on a radio tech show a while back that the increase in phone size wasn't so much to do with user demand but more so to accommodate larger batteries allowing for full days use.

I remember being teased for being the one with the largest and heaviest phone when friends had these tiny little phones. Now people are walking around with note3's on their ear.

Rick Potter
06-07-2014, 2:55 AM
I was getting interested in getting my first smart phone. Then I started to realize how vulnerable they seem to be. I seem to know a lot of people who have had to get new ones for various reasons, the screen cracked, it got wet in a pocket when it rained, it got dropped, etc.

I can understand business requirements for many people, but I really have no business need for a smart one, and I have no problem waiting till I get home to check e-mail, so I have decided to stick to my flip phone. Heck, I don't even text, all I really need is a telephone, and my current one has held up 4 years with constant abuse. The case has scratches all over it.

But, truth be told, the main reason I will get another flip phone is because it fits in my watch pocket.

Rick Potter

PS: Wish they would come out with the Dick Tracy wrist phone.