PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Conveyor Belt For Jet 10-20 Sander

Roger Davis
06-02-2014, 4:34 PM
I have searched the Creek for suppliers of rubber conveyor belts to replace the sandpaper belt on a Jet 10-20 sander and found one reference to Hamilton Tool Supply. I contacted them and they have nothing.

Has anyone found a source for an alternative conveyor belt to replace the sanding belt conveyor that comes standard on the Jet drum sanders?

i am at my wits end trying to make the conveyor belt track properly on my 10-20. This appears to be an all too common problem on all the Jet drum sanders. Anyone with "The magic Solution"?

Thanks,

Roger in Texas

Joe Kaufman
06-02-2014, 8:35 PM
Woodcraft in Fountain Valley, CA has a 3M belt that is a lot thinner and finer grit that the Jet factory replacement, which they also carry. Don't know personally anyone who has used the 3M belt The store personnel said that they have received no negative feedback re the 3M belt. I had the use of a 16-32 for more than a year and it would track much better. My 10-20 will not track for more than 5 min. w/o going off on the inside, no matter what adjustment is made. Purchased a Jet replacement feed belt, but haven't tried it. Didn't want to take the chance on the 3M, which is about double the price. Don't know of a 10-20 rubber belt supplier and have followed up on supposed sources.

Alan Schaffter
06-04-2014, 12:18 AM
I've been looking for a good rubber belt for a Grizzly 24" DD sander for years. Grizzly wants over $350 for a new one. I haven't found anything else. :(

Kyle Iwamoto
06-04-2014, 12:22 PM
I have the 3M belt on my 16-32. The magic solution here I think, is taking your time getting the belt to track. Read the instructions, making the belt too tight is a common mistake. a small adjustment on the tracking nuts takes a LONG time to have an effect on the movement of the belt. I make no more than a 1 flat adjustment each time. The 3M belt took a LOT longer to adjust. Took 2 days of use (several hours of use, not 2 days continuous) to get it to track. The bottom line is when you get a new belt, you have to watch it ALL the time and slowly adjust it. I think the belt has to stretch to fit.

Never tried the rubber belt, but for what I use the sander for, making very thin <1/8" sound boards, the cushioning the rubber gives may be a problem. The 3M belt, being thinner and finer grit, seems to make thin sanding way easier.

glenn bradley
06-04-2014, 1:24 PM
No help on a rubber belt but, I assume Jet has come up dry on a solution for the tracking problem? Supermax Tools carries a lot of Jet parts so they might be worth a call.

Bradley Gray
06-04-2014, 4:16 PM
I have the 3M belt on my Supermax 2/25 It is better than the after market belt I started with but not a complete solution. if i am sanding more than a few pieces i put a 1/2" wrench in my back pocket and tweak the alignment as I sand.

Andy Pratt
06-08-2014, 11:28 PM
I bought a decent brand aftermarket belt for my 16-32 and after messing with it for hours trying to get it to lay flat and track right, I finally determined that the belt was made slightly cone shaped. This meant that in the best tracking position, it is slightly loose on one side. If I get the belt tight everywhere, it won't track for more than a few seconds. As is, it works fine for me, but if I sand below 1/4" thick the drum sands into the belt lightly. Luckily I hardly ever work with thin material so it works for me, but in the future I will stick with a name brand and hopefully avoid this issue. Wanted to mention it since sometimes it isn't your fault, if you are following all the instructions and it still isn't tracking, try running it loose on one end, and measure the belt sides if it works in that situation. If one is longer than the other and it is still under warranty, get them to send you a new belt.