PDA

View Full Version : SawStop or PM66?

Lynn Kasdorf
06-02-2014, 2:41 PM
I have an old Powermatic 66 that I'll be restoring soon. I also will soon be receiving a SawStop cabinet saw from a friend (long story). My question is- I'll find myself in the enviable position of having to choose which one of these fine saws to keep. This will be my 2nd saw- I have an SCMI slider that I use for most things. The 2nd saw will be set up facing the slider, with a shared outfeed table between.

Do you consider the SawStop to be as good as the Powermatic? Other than the safety feature of the SawStop, one big advantage I see is the riving knife.

I am a fan of old iron, and really love Powermatic, and hate the thought of replacing the PM66 with the Taiwanese made SawStop. But it may make sense.

Chris Padilla
06-02-2014, 4:10 PM
SS without question.

Glenn Kramer
06-02-2014, 4:20 PM
I have owned a PM66 and a Unisaw, then bought a SS, I never looked back. Although I am a big fan of PM (3520 & a mint 141 BS), SawStop's are awesome.

Best of luck!

mreza Salav
06-02-2014, 4:34 PM
What version of SS is it? I think their ICS version is better than *any* other traditional cabinet saw of that size (note "size" and "cabinet saw").

Lynn Kasdorf
06-02-2014, 5:01 PM
What version? I don't think it is the "industrial cabinet saw"- I think it is the professional cabinet saw. It is a few years old- it may be their first cabinet saw that they released.

Tell me this- on a sawstop, do they provide a way to test that the flesh sensing mechanism is functioning without actually triggering the stop? I assume this thing has some rigorous start up tests that the computer does as it powers up.

Another question- Over the years, I've learned to power all my electronics through a UPS, for the sole reason of protection from lightning surges and crappy power in general. I run all computers, stereo, tv, etc through a huge UPS in the basement.

I'd be very nervous having the sawstop electronics exposed to the vagaries of the power lines. I guess the solution is to switch off the 220vac to the saw when not in use. I actually do this now- all my 220vac tools are powered through a huge switch, which also powers a big red light, so I know when everything is armed. I actually have an enormous UPS that puts out 220vac- I need to check that supplies enough current to run the SS. The batteries are toast, but all I care about is power conditioning and not running when the power goes away.

I wonder if folks have had their sawstops fried from lighting hits?

I don't think I'd have any sort of warranty on this saw.

johnny means
06-02-2014, 5:11 PM
The first saw from Sawstop was the ICS. You'll know it by its 30" deep table. It was designed to rival the 12" saws out there. I have one and can say that, even without the brake, it is better than any other 10" saw out there.

johnny means
06-02-2014, 5:15 PM
BTW, it does constantly run diagnostics and has a flashing signal system to alert you to any issues. All you need to do to test the sensing mechanism is touch the blade with the saw off and you'll get a signal. Sawstop also has the best manual ever made which details all of this quite thoroughly.

johnny means
06-02-2014, 5:18 PM
Also, for what it's worth, I'd rather worry about sensitive electronics and lightning strikes than amputation.

Peter Quinn
06-02-2014, 7:03 PM
I have a powermatic 66, its a fine saw, does its job, but I'd go saw stop for the safety and the riving knife personally given a choice. In fact if SS had been available when I bough the 66 I would have gone sawstop then. I used a saw stop for a while at a side job, I wasn't all goo goo for it, I don't consider it cut wise to be functionally above the competition, but its a good solid cabinet saw, and having the break is just a great asset should you ever need it. I look at it like this...If I had $4K I didnt know what to do with I'd put it in the kids college funds rather than take a bath on the 66 and buy a new sawstop, but I'f someone rolled a SS up to my shop door....I shake the old 66's hand, thank it for its service and fire off a crags list add.

Shawn Pixley
06-02-2014, 7:24 PM
Saw Stop definately. Two very good saws but one is better than the other.

Don Jarvie
06-02-2014, 8:13 PM
I would keep the 66 and put a Forrest dado blade in it and keep it exclusively for dados and sell the saw stop if I could. I'm not sure how you got it but maybe it wouldn't look good if you sold it.

Lynn Kasdorf
06-02-2014, 9:10 PM
Well, as I said, whichever I keep will be my 2nd saw, and will probably have a dado in it a lot of the time. Maybe I can arrange a 3 saw setup...
The PM66 has 2 large cast iron wings- so it will have a lot of iron table to the right of the blade.
The more I think about it, having a sawstop for doing general purpose stuff is appealing, especially since I have 12 and 14 year old boys that I hope will get interested in the woodshop before long. I'd feel better about them using the sawstop.

mreza Salav
06-02-2014, 9:31 PM
I don't think you'll regret keeping the Sawstop, especially if you want to have trainees in your shop...

Ruperto Mendiones
06-02-2014, 9:36 PM
Sawstop customer support is top notch. I would factor that into the equation.

Danny Hamsley
06-02-2014, 9:57 PM
I agree with SS hands down, two. Both hands and all fingers down.

Joe Bradshaw
06-02-2014, 10:24 PM
I was among the SS naysayers. I had a Unisaw that I loved, until the time I stuck a finger in the blade in a moment of inattention. My girlfriend said to get rid of that saw and buy a SS(she is also a woodworker). I did and I have not looked back. An awesome saw. Joe

Rick Potter
06-03-2014, 3:10 AM
I think your last post answered your own question Lynn.

If you have the room, 3 saws are nice, but even nicer is having teenagers using only the Sawstop.

Rick P

Cary Falk
06-03-2014, 5:37 AM
SS and I wouldn't waste your time restoring the PM66. If the market is anything like it is here you will put more money into it than you can get out of it. That's not even counting your time.

Kevin Womer
06-03-2014, 9:17 AM
Without a doubt the Sawstop.

Mike Hollingsworth
06-03-2014, 11:51 AM
the one with the riving knife

Mike Henderson
06-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Absolutely no question - the SawStop.

Mike

Alden Miller
06-03-2014, 12:55 PM
I have a PM66 and love it. If I was in your enviable position I would opt for the Saw Stop. If I thought I could use it though I would take a quick trip down to Waterford and take whichever one you don't choose off your hands.

-Alden

Tom Clark FL
06-03-2014, 1:37 PM
One more thing to think about. Does the SawStop have a sliding table available for it? To me that is what makes the table saw whole. They are like half a saw without a slider. I have had this one for around 25 years and have yet to see anything I would trade it for (that would fit in the space it takes up in my shop.)

Patrick McCarthy
06-03-2014, 2:34 PM
The original post states: " This will be my 2nd saw- I have an SCMI slider that I use for most things."

Lynn, I had a PM66 which I bought new, and of which I was very proud, made in America, etc.
I replaced it with a SS ICS and have not looked back. I think the SS is a better saw in every way, even if it didn't have the electronics - but I am happy it does. The riving knife is great too.

Only criticism is that the dust collection could be even better. I think it should have a 5 inch dust port rather than the "old" 4" standard. With all the great thought that went into the rest of the saw, I found this surprising. Also, the over head/blade guard dust collection could be a bit better too, but it is heads and tails above the non-existent on the PM.

jeff shanz
06-03-2014, 4:07 PM
The 66 is very desirable on the resale market.
...if I lived near Virginia I'd make you an offer.

David Eisenhauer
06-03-2014, 4:26 PM
The 66 is a legend in the TS world and has been a top notch machine for many, many years............But, there have been way too many good reviews on the Sawstop to ignore - both in the obvious safety end and the user friendly/solid manufacture/etc end. As Jeff said above, lots of folks would like to take the 66 off your hands, you save the rebuild time, plus start your boys out on something a little safer. My opinion only.

johnny means
06-03-2014, 9:06 PM
Nuff said.

Mike Wilkins
06-04-2014, 9:15 AM
If the space allow it, keep all 3 machines. I have a slider and a smaller cast iron Craftsman for the joinery stuff (dado/tenons/etc). You could keep the slider for sheet goods and large cross cuts, one cabinet saw with a dado set-up, and the other saw with a good glue-line rip blade on it. You are now in table saw heaven.

Andy Pratt
06-08-2014, 11:29 PM
SS: every bit as good as the PM but with the added safety feature. That being said, if I had three saws and the space to keep them, I darn sure would set one up as a permanent dado saw.

Joe Jensen
06-09-2014, 12:34 AM
I first owned a 1970s era Unisaw 3HP. In 1990 I "upgraded" to a 3HP PM66. In about 2006 or 2007 I UPGRADED to a SawStop ICS. As the others have stated, it's in a different league than the PM66 and Unisaw even without the blade brake. I sold the Sawstop in 2010 to make room for a big Felder slider but if I ever get the bigger shop I dream of I will add a Sawstop ICS.

Rich Riddle
06-09-2014, 5:40 PM
I used both saws and prefer the Powermatic 66 for the way it cuts and handles, though both saws play in the same quality field. If I am in the market for a dedicated typical cabinet saw instead of the Hammer slider, it will be long after the Saw Stop technology patent expires so it's likely many options will exist for the technology.