PDA

View Full Version : Best WW Mag(s)

bruce Humphrey
06-02-2014, 11:07 AM
Hello fellow WWers,
I am fairly new to fine WWing. I am very familier with DYI etc. I am just finishing an addition on the house and also putting together a wood shop. I will be building vanities, bookshelves, closet organizers also shop cabinets etc. I am looking for the best magazine or two that will provide direction and plans for useful furniture and shop fixtures and minimal artistic trinket type stuff.

thanks in advance for the input,
B.

Stan Calow
06-02-2014, 11:38 AM
bruce I subscribe to Fine Woodworking, and Woodworking. They both have enough interesting articles every month. The rest I will pick up occasionally while shopping, if there seems to be an article that catches my eye.

Ralph Boumenot
06-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Woodsmith and Shop Notes are two magazines that fit what you are looking for.

Greg Hines, MD
06-02-2014, 2:11 PM
I subscribe to several, including Shopnotes, Woodsmith Shop, Popular Woodworking. They are all good, though I prefer Shopnotes more than the rest.

You can also search this forum for maybe 3 dozen other threads on the same subject.

Doc

Doug Ladendorf
06-02-2014, 4:04 PM
Shop Notes hands down for fixtures and shop related stuff. I like Wood Magazine for beginner to intermediate.

Best advice I got when starting was to go to a bookstore like Barnes & Noble, grab a bunch of WW magazines and sit down with them for a while to look through them. Buy the one(s) that most interest you. When you have a good idea of what you want subscribe.

Paul Wunder
06-02-2014, 7:08 PM
There are three that will meet your needs: Woodsmith, Shopnotes (both from the same publisher) and Wood Magazine. All are geared to the new to intermediate woodworker You will get how to and shop set up info, and projects to build.

There are many "need specific" plans and books available from Plans Now, August Home Publishing and The Taunton Press.

As you begin to build specific projects the guys here can lead you to the best for Bookcases, Kitchen Cabinets, etc.

Myk Rian
06-02-2014, 8:36 PM
Shopnotes and Woodsmith have the fewest ads, which is why they are the only ones I get.
Both have great projects and ideas.
Wood mag is full of ads.

Bill Bukovec
06-02-2014, 9:42 PM
Bruce, Don't overlook old issues of Fine Woodworking or other magazines. Craigslist is a good place to find these (with a little luck)

Bill

Rick Gibson
06-02-2014, 9:51 PM
When you do make up your mind don't overlook the online versions. Being fairly new I would recommend Wood and Woodsmith, both have an online version. Also most have a CD or DVD with every back issue on it. I got 4 of them for Christmas and the magazine themselves are in PDF format so I was able to transfer them to my Android tablet for times when I am waiting for appointments etc.

Rick Potter
06-03-2014, 3:13 AM
go to the WoodSmith site, and check out their book selection on use of the router, table saw, jigs, etc. They are a steal at $10 delivered.

Rick P

bruce Humphrey
06-03-2014, 7:59 AM
Thanks for all of the great input. subscribed to shopnotes and woodsmith, will also probably get a cd of back issues.

Brian W Smith
06-03-2014, 6:37 PM
Probably shouldn't respond,oh well..............start buying used books on antiques,specifically on the area of your concern.There are some wonderful used books on the subject.I can get lost for hours reading about fine furniture,and collecting in books written almost a hundred years ago.

johnny means
06-03-2014, 10:59 PM
I think you'll find that the magazines get repetitive fairly quickly. Same jigs, same techniques, same reviews month after month. Not to mention the painfully small amount of actual content in each. I'd rather have a tablet and a good Wifi connection. Unlimited sources and info, and best of all you can get the answer to the question or problem that your working on right now. Of course, if you like the actual paper form online content won't do that for you, but if you actually want to learn, nothing beats Google.

Wayne Jolly
06-06-2014, 11:34 AM
So no one reads Woodworkers Journal??? My favorites are (in no order) WWJ, Wood, and Shopnotes.

Wayne