PDA

View Full Version : I Said This Maple Turned like butter.

Bob Bergstrom
06-01-2014, 8:21 PM
Here are the type of shaving that came off this posted maple bowl. For all the figure it was very easy to cut and sand. Same oil and lacquer finish. I have 3 larger pieces to turn. Measures 10" across and about 4 1/2" deep.

robert baccus
06-01-2014, 8:38 PM
Very nice bowl for sure. What is the cloudy on the finish--confused here. I like the shop even better.

Bob Bergstrom
06-01-2014, 9:09 PM
Very nice bowl for sure. What is the cloudy on the finish--confused here. I like the shop even better.
The finish is quite glossy and even with lights pointed out of the tent there was quite a bit of reflection. The rest is some pretty curls in the wood.

Hayes Rutherford
06-01-2014, 9:58 PM
Bob, I don't think bowl turning can get much better than that!

Steve Doerr
06-01-2014, 10:10 PM
Very nicely done. You did a great job of showing off all of the beautiful figure and grain.

Michelle Rich
06-02-2014, 4:57 AM
stunning wood..great bowl

charlie knighton
06-02-2014, 8:47 AM
nicely done, great wood, cherish those other pieces......never know til you turn them, hope there was a large sweet spot

Bill White
06-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Seems like you could make a sweater outa all those shavings. :)
Great work as always.
Bill

Tom Borener
06-02-2014, 11:37 AM
That's a stunning bowl Bob, I hope the rest of the pieces are as good. Are you coring them?

Bob Bergstrom
06-02-2014, 5:06 PM
That's a stunning bowl Bob, I hope the rest of the pieces are as good. Are you coring them?
I cored a lot of the smaller ones from these. The biggest is about 19" with some really nice figure. Haven't turned it yet, but will soon.

Dok Yager
06-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Truly beautiful piece. Can`t wait for it`s bigger brother.

Thom Sturgill
06-03-2014, 7:21 AM
Gorgeous wood and you 'done it proud', Bob.

Pat Scott
06-03-2014, 3:07 PM
I bet you were smiling every time you stopped the lathe to look at it, and I bet you couldn't help but run your hands over it at the same time. Wait, that would have been me.

What a beautiful bowl.

Reed Gray
06-03-2014, 3:39 PM
Okay, maybe I am the only one who noticed this, but in the last picture, it looks like the tailstock is floating, or is that an illusion. Nice bowl, I do like maple a lot. We mostly get the Big Leaf type out here. The good stuff smells kind of like bread yeast when cutting. If it is starting to rot, it smells pretty sour.

robo hippy

Doug Ladendorf
06-03-2014, 7:34 PM
Holy mackerel that's gorgeous! Love the figure. From the shavings it looks like you were having a pretty good time too. I had to check out the dangling tail stock too.

Bob Bergstrom
06-04-2014, 12:27 AM
Okay, maybe I am the only one who noticed this, but in the last picture, it looks like the tailstock is floating, or is that an illusion. Nice bowl, I do like maple a lot. We mostly get the Big Leaf type out here. The good stuff smells kind of like bread yeast when cutting. If it is starting to rot, it smells pretty sour.

robo hippy
Reed, without the extension on the top level I need all the room I can get leaning out over the lathe ( ya I know I could slide the headstock to the end and stand out on the end, old school turner I guess) I slide the tail stock all the way to the stop. Wouldn't do that if the stop were not in place. This maple had no order. I guess you may compare it to turning some of that fine west coast myrtle.

Reed Gray
06-04-2014, 12:51 AM
The Myrtle can smell kind of sweet and spicy, or like the bottom of a horse stall. My favorite for long shavings, even with a scraper, is Madrone. I would say it is very similar to what little pear I have turned. Butter!

I do always have my headstock at the end of the lathe for bowl turning. That is the main reason I bought it. Much easier physically.

robo hippy

Rick Gibson
06-04-2014, 11:10 PM
Great looking bowls. I have 2 maple trees in the back yard about 75 ft high and if I thought I could get wood like that out of them the chain saw would be hard at work tomorrow. Nice wood and nice job turning them.