PDA

View Full Version : Limited by being just a "Member"?

Mike Brady
06-01-2014, 12:39 PM
I have noticed that when I am signed into the forums I am unable to read the full contents of some threads. Ironically, by not logging in, I do see the entire contents of the same thread. Is this a forum policy, a problem with my hardware, or just a sanction for not being a "contributor"? In any case it is limitation that I experience nowhere else among woodworking forums.

Jim Koepke
06-01-2014, 1:04 PM
It may be in your settings.

For me even as a contributor I have to look through the outline at the top of the thread to make sure all of the posts to a particular thread have been seen.

There are also longer threads with instances of "more replies below current depth" listings.

This is with my settings to "Hybrid View."

I do know there are a few forums only contributors can see like the 'Lumber Yard' and the 'Deals and Classified' listings.

Even without those particular benefits and my limited income it is worth it to me to support this site with $6 a year.

I have learned much more than that by what is here.

I do not spend much time on any of the other woodworking forums.

jtk

george wilson
06-01-2014, 2:01 PM
You can't view the FAQ section without contributing. Can you see pictures that get posted?

FAQ is in the little head liner at the top of the page. Its presence has gotten so diminished,I doubt that many notice it. I wonder why it has been made so un noticeable?

David Weaver
06-01-2014, 3:22 PM
It probably has more to do with not having the view settings right (display top right). To my knowledge, the only functional restrictions are not being able to post in the lumber yard and not being able to post on the classified forum.

Winton Applegate
06-01-2014, 3:29 PM
to support this site with $6 a year.

some body give me a link; I will pay it. I forgot that was the deal.
I filled up my photo allotment long time ago and started using photo bucket.
Does this mean I can put more photos on ? Link please.
Doesn't matter. I feel like a heal.

Thanks for the reminder.

Paul McGaha
06-01-2014, 4:59 PM
Winton,

Just click on donate on the bar at the top of this page and you can renew your subscription.

PHM

Graham Haydon
06-01-2014, 5:42 PM
I had this problem too.

Go to "Display" at the top right, it's beneath "Results 1 to 6 of 6" area

Pick "Linear Mode"

Should be Ok after that.

G

Judson Green
06-01-2014, 5:55 PM
some body give me a link; I will pay it. I forgot that was the deal.
I filled up my photo allotment long time ago and started using photo bucket.
Does this mean I can put more photos on ? Link please.
Doesn't matter. I feel like a heal.

Thanks for the reminder.

Here ya go! At the top of every page.

Dan Hintz
06-01-2014, 7:22 PM
You can't view the FAQ section without contributing.

:confused: I can see it just fine... and what forum would not want you to see an FAQ section without paying money? Defeats the purpose.

Winton Applegate
06-04-2014, 2:15 AM
Donate

Paul and Judson,

Thanks

Bill Houghton
06-04-2014, 3:05 AM
You can't view the FAQ section without contributing. Can you see pictures that get posted?

FAQ is in the little head liner at the top of the page. Its presence has gotten so diminished,I doubt that many notice it. I wonder why it has been made so un noticeable?

I'm a mere member, and I can read the FAQs just fine.

Daniel Rode
06-04-2014, 8:35 AM
I'd never given member vs contributor status a thought until now. If it helps keep the lights on and the site running, call me a contributor.

David Weaver
06-04-2014, 8:38 AM
Compared to magazine subscriptions, it's pretty cheap here to contribute. I certainly have gotten more information from this place, and much more targeted to what I'm doing, than I ever got out of any magazine subscription (and thus no longer subscribe to anything).

Steve Rozmiarek
06-04-2014, 9:08 AM
Does anyone actually prefer the hybrid or threaded mode over linear? Tried it and no thanks.

Paul McGaha
06-04-2014, 9:14 AM
Does anyone actually prefer the hybrid or threaded mode over linear? Tried it and no thanks.

No kidding. I can't follow a thread unless its in linear mode. Especially a thread with some length to it.

PHM

Judson Green
06-04-2014, 9:23 AM
I do it hybrid, but that's cuz thats the way it was. I'll try it the other way and see if I like it better.

Malcolm Schweizer
06-04-2014, 9:39 AM
I became a contributor because of the Classifieds section. I have saved a TON of money there, so it is no big deal for me to pay to play. (Thanks Sawmill Creek!) I have noticed that if I do not sign in then I have limited view of threads. I also agree with those that said the FAQ section should be the FIRST thing a non-member is able to see. I would think a regular (contributors would likely be regulars) would be less likely to look at the FAQ's.

Trevor Howard
06-04-2014, 12:03 PM
Whenever I come here, it's log in, click "New post" once I read the first post I am interested in I click then change to Linear, never had a problem seeing all threads. Tried the other styles on other sites and just to confusing. Each to there own, I guess.

Judson Green
06-04-2014, 1:37 PM
I do it hybrid, but that's cuz thats the way it was. I'll try it the other way and see if I like it better.

Tried it, don't like it, switched back to hybrid.