PDA

View Full Version : Miter saw price check

Adam Cruea
05-31-2014, 10:42 PM
At the antique store I basically volunteer at with my wife, I noticed a 25" Disston miter saw. Checked out the price, $95.

I did some searching on the Fleabay, but prices seemed to be all over the place, and most of those included a miter box.

Overall, the saw wasn't in bad shape. Just some surface rust, no deep pits (really no pitting, period). I'm sure with some steel wool, the saw plate would end up being just fine for a user.

My question is, what's a reasonable price for a saw like that in your opinion?

Sean Hughto
05-31-2014, 10:57 PM
no nope naw nu-uh (had to make minimum character requirement)

Jim Koepke
05-31-2014, 11:53 PM
That is more than I would pay.

That is a price I have seen for a similar saw in an antique shop.

To me, that sounds like full retail, a price situation I like to avoid when possible and practical.

jtk

Adam Cruea
06-01-2014, 2:05 AM
Awesome. Thanks, gents.

I may try and haggle the fellow down.

Of course, this is the same guy that had my 603 Bedrock for around $60, if I remember correctly.

Tony Zaffuto
06-01-2014, 5:49 AM
Seems very high to me, without the miter box! With a miter box, and with everything complete & in decent shape, that wouldn't be a bad price.

David Weaver
06-01-2014, 9:10 AM
$15. there are orphan miter saws all over the place. they're not particularly useful without a box. i've got a couple that were $3. (28" long and straight with good teeth). any dealer or seller that thinks they're much by themselves is in the weeds.

Tony Zaffuto
06-01-2014, 2:10 PM
$15. there are orphan miter saws all over the place. they're not particularly useful without a box. i've got a couple that were $3. (28" long and straight with good teeth). any dealer or seller that thinks they're much by themselves is in the weeds.

I was trying to be kind David!

I think I may have posted here before the most I ever paid for a miter box WITH saw was, maybe $35 or $40 (I currently have at least 18 miter boxes (complete) and about 3 or 4 for parts. Most are unique/different.

David Weaver
06-01-2014, 3:18 PM
I'll admit I paid $75 (box and saw and all) for one when I got an itch, but it is a langdon 74 of a good vintage. I do still struggle to figure out where to use it, though.

My dad bought a miter box at the silver spring flea market in PA, and he abuses the saws. He doesn't know how to sharpen saws, so he was going back to the same guy and just picking the sharpest large saw in a barrel of saws to replace the one he'd dulled. I couldn't really criticize his method, he has gotten all of the ones he has for $3 each - various stanley branded (look like disston) and simonds saws, all lined up in his basement shop wall covered with paint speckles now because he just doesn't ever keep anything nice.

The one in my box had about 3/4" sharpened off of the plate, maybe closer to an inch, so I mooched one of the dull paint speckled saws, and then came across two more that were thrown in with saw deals because everyone else has the same problem I do - more saws than boxes and they aren't remotely close to a saw that you'd use for regular work. They're sort of equivalent to trying to use a long-handled sledge hammer one handed holding the end of the handle.