PDA

View Full Version : Belt/Disk Sander Decision Jet or Powermatic

Glenn Kramer
05-31-2014, 10:23 PM
I am debating between two 6" x 48" belt / 12" disk combination sanders. One being the Jet JSG-6CS and the Powermatic 31A. To me they appear to be quite different machines. Does anyone have experience with either machine. While the Jet is currently 15% off and the PM is not for some reason, the Jet looks a bit more newfangled and the PM appears to be the more classic beefy version.

Any my info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Glenn

Cary Falk
05-31-2014, 11:21 PM
I don't have any experience with either or own a belt/disc sander but I think Jet/Powermatic are way overpriced for what you get. I am a edge sander person anyway. Have you looked at Shop Fox W1712? It is almost half of the Jet($700 vs 1200). I have a Shop Fox Jointer and would buy Shop Fox again.

Keith Outten
06-01-2014, 7:41 AM
Glenn,

I suggest that you consider purchasing an edge sander. If you have never used one you would be amazed at how versatile they are.

Steve Kohn
06-01-2014, 9:26 AM
I have the Powermatic model 30A. I rebuilt it after it sat outside for 6 months when a high school closed its shop classes. Since it was a 3 phase motor it also gave me the chance to make it variable speed with a freq. drive. To me the variable speed feature is invaluable. It allow me much better control whether working wood or metal. I also have an edge sander (also Powermatic) that I use extensively also. I wish the edge sander was also variable speed. I've looked at converting it but it simply would cost more than the machine is worth.

Which machine you buy is really dependent on what kinds of work you want to do. I use the edge sander for sanding any surface over 9 inches long. I use the disc sander for rounding corners. I use the belt sander for any metal grinding and quick round overs.

Jim Finn
06-01-2014, 10:57 AM
I have, and like, a 6'x48" belt disc sander from harbor freight. ($199). It is the most used tool in my shop. I do not ever use the disc sander so I did not even assemble that part. I find that disc sanders burn the wood too much.

Kevin McCluney
06-01-2014, 11:26 AM
I own the Jet model - it does what it's intended to do and does it well. The only complaint is that the belt won't maintain its tracking from one session to another (depending on the length of time between sessions - think weeks or longer). Adjusting it is easy, but it'd be better if it were "set and forget." Since the Jet is direct drive the cabinet below is used for storage space. However, the Jet is less compact because of this. The Jet's cabinet has wheels (with a foot pedal to lock it); not sure about the Powermatic.

Jim Andrew
06-01-2014, 11:38 AM
I don't have a disc belt sander, but do have an edge sander, 6x89 belt, and would not do without it.

HANK METZ
06-01-2014, 11:39 AM
I bought a H.F 6x48 belt/ 12" disk sander from a Craigslist seller for $50. It was missing the belt's table, and the upper tension mechanism was shot. I repaired both items, and have found I use the disk almost exclusively. I added a detachable buffing/ polishing station so it is now a 3- way machine for me, having a very minor footprint in my shop and easy mobility thanks to a wheeled base cabinet. This model sander b.t.w., was pumped out by the same Taiwanese factory that makes the Grizzly G1183 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Combination-Sander-6-x-48-Belt-12-Disc-3450-RPM/G1183), so parts are readily available, and is a very good machine.

Glenn Kramer
06-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Gentlemen,

I appreciate your input. I held off on purchasing the Jet Combo Sander that was at 15% off. Instead I purchased a Vega edge sander.

Thank you all, Glenn

Quinn McCarthy
06-02-2014, 3:51 PM
Take Keith's advice.

In my humble opinoin belt/disc combo machines are useless for wood. A friend have the delata. He got sick of sanding vertical sander marks frrom pieces of wood he bought an edge sander and never used it again. And now he can't sell it either.

I went right to edge sander.

Hope that helps.

Quinn