PDA

View Full Version : What Grain Recommended for Next Auriou Rasp

allen long
05-31-2014, 8:16 PM
Good Evening everyone.

I recently acquired a couple of Auriou rasps. The Modeller's rasp grain 13 and a cabinet maker's grain 9. I was thinking about getting others. I am thinking about an even more aggressive rasp such as a 12" grain 6. I noticed Lie Nielsen has a hog-monster of a rasp with a grain 3 and a "slightly" less aggressive one at a grain 4. A grain 9 seems pretty aggressive already. I was thinking a grain 6, but was wondering if it would make more sense to drop down grain or two. Or, is a grain 3 or 4 meant to REPLACE your bandsaw:D. That grain size sounds extremely aggressive.

Now, honestly, I don't NEED a more raspy rasp. I have a set of the hand cut Italian small rasps from LV that work pretty well for more detailed work. Perhaps the 12 grain carver's rifflers would be more in line with what I dabble in. I can't tell, though whether the carver's rifflers are stitched on both sides of each end. Does anyone here have experience with them? Any shapes you have found particularly useful in detailed work?

I thought the reviews of the rasps were just hype until I received these. Wowsa! I have to say I cannot believe the difference between the Auriou and other rasps.

Any opinions on the fit and feel of the variants of the rasps would be greatly appreciated.

Many Kind Regards . . . . Allen

Jim Koepke
05-31-2014, 9:14 PM
As in so many things, this really depends on your own desire. My two Auriou rasps are 13 & 15 grain. From different trials my thoughts are it might actually be good to have a left hand model. Some of my work is done left handed.

Though for me it is the smoothing ability more than the aggressive ability that has me intrigued.

Some of my rifflers are aggressive enough to make them unsuitable for most of my projects.

If some of your work feels like you would like to remove material quicker then a coarser rasp may be the tool for you.

jtk

Tony Wilkins
06-01-2014, 1:51 PM
Do you have a rat tail rasp? That's my next TIM (tool in mail). Figure it will be good for tight areas and expanding holes to account for wood movement.