PDA

View Full Version : Some Recent Pens

Dan Masshardt
05-31-2014, 9:03 AM
I've experimented with many small projects and I'm getting into bowls but pens have been my most consistent turnings so far. Here are a few recents.

I make plenty of wood pens but I also want to show some of the other materials that can be turned. The green is tru-stone material with a custom finial. The cross is a laser cut inlay kit with holly and olivewood. A map and a copy of the constitution preamble in clear resin. And a black palm for the wood lovers. :-)

Dan Hintz
05-31-2014, 11:05 AM
I think you paired your kits with the blanks well, Dan... and the custom finial is always a nice touch.

Billy Tallant
06-10-2014, 4:34 AM
Great looking pens Dan!

Keith Outten
06-10-2014, 6:54 AM
Dan,

Great job on the pens, I really like that they are unique designs.

The pen with the map is the first one I have even seen, it laser engraved and paint filled?

Roger Chandler
06-10-2014, 8:47 AM
Wonderful work, Dan...........love the God and country theme!!!

Jak Kelly
06-10-2014, 9:05 AM
Very Nice!!!!!!!
Hope I can get there someday...................

Scott Lux
06-10-2014, 9:49 AM
Those are great. Can I ask what kit you used for the tru-stone? I don't recognize it, but it is really nice.

Dan Masshardt
06-10-2014, 10:50 PM
Dan, Great job on the pens, I really like that they are unique designs. The pen with the map is the first one I have even seen, it laser engraved and paint filled? .

Thank you Keith.

I'm afraid the reality may be more disappointing to woodworkers. It's an actual state park map cast in clear resin (alumilite) and turned.

Dan Masshardt
06-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Those are great. Can I ask what kit you used for the tru-stone? I don't recognize it, but it is really nice.

It's a jr gent 2 in chrome from craftsupplies.

Scott Lux
06-11-2014, 12:33 PM
Thanks, Dan. I assume you knocked out the medallion to insert the custom finial. Is that correct?

Dan Masshardt
06-11-2014, 9:12 PM
Thanks, Dan. I assume you knocked out the medallion to insert the custom finial. Is that correct? Yup. Drill a hole somewhere to hold the piece and hit it with a punch. I turn the finial piece in pin jaws using the finial cap for sizing.