PDA

View Full Version : gas affect on seals

ray hampton
05-30-2014, 7:14 PM
I had to pull the gas tank on the riding mower because the seals on the gas cap broke up ,couple of the pieces of the seal fell into the tank, I understand that gas can dissolved rubber and plastic hoses BUT nobody mentioned the common gas cap seals

Lee Schierer
05-30-2014, 8:44 PM
Most likely it isn't the gasoline that is causing the problem. Most likely the seals aren't alcohol proof and the ethanol added to the gas has degraded the seals. This is a fairly common occurrence with older hoses and seals that predate the introduction of ethanol into gasoline.

Dan Hintz
05-30-2014, 9:20 PM
Most likely it isn't the gasoline that is causing the problem. Most likely the seals aren't alcohol proof and the ethanol added to the gas has degraded the seals. This is a fairly common occurrence with older hoses and seals that predate the introduction of ethanol into gasoline.

To add to Lee's comments... I'd get those bits out of there before they dissolve further. If you don't, you'll gum up your jets pretty quickly and then you'll never get it started.

Rich Enders
05-30-2014, 10:18 PM
There are elastomers that are resistant to solvents, and those that are not. Get some nitrile or polychloroprene sheet at an industrial supply house and scissors yourself some new seals.

ray hampton
05-31-2014, 4:03 PM
To add to Lee's comments... I'd get those bits out of there before they dissolve further. If you don't, you'll gum up your jets pretty quickly and then you'll never get it started.

I hope that the inline filter stop the bits because I suspect that the cap seal went bad some months AGO, I pull the tank after draining the fuel and it got a good washing and install it correctly but drop the hose clamp not once, not twice but thrice or more , I was able to find it each time

ray hampton
05-31-2014, 4:11 PM
There are elastomers that are resistant to solvents, and those that are not. Get some nitrile or polychloroprene sheet at an industrial supply house and scissors yourself some new seals.

thanks , I see about the gasket Monday, Sears price went over 30 dollars for a new cap and it would take almost 2 weeks to my door, can I buy nitrile gloves and cut a gasket out of them

Dan Hintz
05-31-2014, 5:01 PM
I hope that the inline filter stop the bits because I suspect that the cap seal went bad some months AGO, I pull the tank after draining the fuel and it got a good washing and install it correctly but drop the hose clamp not once, not twice but thrice or more , I was able to find it each time

Those filters are designed to trap particulate matter... dissolved rubber will congeal anywhere and everywhere within that line, including in the filter pores and your jet orifice.

Rich Enders
05-31-2014, 6:26 PM
[QUOTE=can I buy nitrile gloves and cut a gasket out of them[/QUOTE]

I think of nitrile gloves as fairly thin, and possibly not pure nitrile. The industrial supply houses like McMaster Carr (sp?) have sheets that are 0.060 thick and I believe available by the square foot.

ray hampton
06-01-2014, 2:11 PM
thanks for the helpful tips

ray hampton
06-01-2014, 5:41 PM
I think of nitrile gloves as fairly thin, and possibly not pure nitrile. The industrial supply houses like McMaster Carr (sp?) have sheets that are 0.060 thick and I believe available by the square foot.

I found the nitrite at McMaster Carr BUT they will not let me finish the ORDER because I am lacking a E-MAIL address, o-well , I alway do things the HARD way anyway

Duane Meadows
06-01-2014, 9:42 PM
Might just have to go old school and use the phone?:)

Jim Matthews
06-02-2014, 7:06 AM
elastomers nitrile or polychloroprene

Remind me to never play scrabble with a chemist.

ray hampton
06-02-2014, 5:19 PM
what if I buy a spray-can of rubber that we coat tool handles with and spray an amount in the cap ? this week will be gone before I get time to finish the job

Tom Stenzel
06-03-2014, 2:44 PM
When I read the title I thought that there had been another tanker spill on the coast.

You can also try an auto parts store for fuel resistant gasket material, or possibly an o-ring that is large in cross section and fits snugly in the cap.

-Tom