PDA

View Full Version : "Dumb project of year" nomination

Jerry Olexa
06-28-2005, 1:26 PM
For several months now, the LOML has been requesting this "whimsical" signpost she saw in one of her decorating mags. In my typical response, I have been dragging my feet and giving her lots of reasons not to do this as my interest level wasn't real high. Anyway, the other night, I succumbed and thought I'd surprise her. Took about 2 hours (lettering took most of that) and I did the thing out of cedar scraps. In my haste , I used interior black paint for the letters so I had to throw on a exterior sealer coat. Yeah, I know its looks dumb to us macho WWers but LOML loves it so ,hopefully, she'll renew my contract for another year. :D Be kind guys!?:D Can I now be nominated for "dumb project of year" consideration?? The things we do for love...;) :D :cool:

Pics are arranged (hopefully) so you can see where this thing is...

Steve Clardy
06-28-2005, 1:53 PM
Looks good!!!

David Wilson
06-28-2005, 2:27 PM
Jerry
I was stationed at YON when in the NAVY.

Frank Pellow
06-28-2005, 2:38 PM
I agree that the content of the signs is hokey, but I know that my wife would like such signs were I to make them for her.

Ray Bersch
06-28-2005, 3:19 PM
Hold on a minute there - you may have a future with the Maine State Highway Department - at best your sign could really direct someone to some place in Maine - I am going to check to see if there are actually places named Hither, Tither and Yon but even if there are no such places it would not make much difference, we can just place them on some of the northern most roads and no one would know the difference - I know one sign that directs you to China, Poland and South Paris with the same arrow. But at worse, your sign is so much better than some of those that I have seen in Maine. (Please understand that I dearly love the state of Maine.) It is the only state in which I have traveled that one road can have ten (or so) route designations - I wish I had a picture - maybe I can take one next week - but here, as best as my memory can tell, is an example in a town called Gray - Rt 100N, Rt 202N, Rt 26W, Rt 4E, Rt 15S - thats five route designations for one stretch of road on one sign that covers all four compass points - but I'll bet I can find a real sign with a lot more than that.

Jerry, your sign is so clear and chrisp - "go thata way for Hither", period. Tell your wife see is a genious - and has a good craftsman for a husband ('course he doesn't know that he shouldda used white exterior reflective paint - but I won't tell 'cause he probably was designing winter signs.)

Ray

Vaughn McMillan
06-28-2005, 4:20 PM
Jerry, I don't think the sign is dumb...maybe not the French Provential curved buffet that would have been more challenging, but if it pays the LOYL rent for a year, it's well worth it.

- Vaughn

Michael Stafford
06-28-2005, 4:23 PM
Beats the dumb sign in my wife's garden that reads " Garden of Weeden ". Of course, I was not suckered into making that one.... :eek: :eek: :p :D You're a good man, Jerry!!!

Bob Noles
06-28-2005, 4:32 PM
If brownie points had value, you would be in the Fortune 500.

She is worth it and you know it :)

John Miliunas
06-28-2005, 6:24 PM
Whimsical? Yes. Dumb? Not at all!:) I think they're cool and if the LOYL enjoys them, then time well spent and you got to make some sawdust, right?:D :cool:

Mike Cutler
06-28-2005, 6:26 PM
"Dumb Project of the Year Award" nomination... I don't think so.
It looks great, it makes someone happy,and now you feel good about it. Sounds like a successful project to me.
Now for a real "dumb project of the year nomination"
, I submit the wooden, pressure treated fire pit that was built down the road from me. It even has a wooden roof to keep out the rain. :eek: Honest to goodness, I am not lying.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-28-2005, 6:31 PM
Jerry.....sometimes you do what you have to do to have a place to hang your hat. As much as we like shoptime.....it'd not be the best place to take all you meals and spend all your nights! Good job on the sign.....Good decision!

John Miliunas
06-28-2005, 6:32 PM
I submit the wooden, pressure treated fire pit that was built down the road from me. It even has a wooden roof to keep out the rain. :eek: Honest to goodness, I am not lying.

Pictures! We *need* pictures of that one!!!:D :cool:

Chris Padilla
06-28-2005, 7:18 PM
Okay, Jerry, you're nominated! :p

Hey, anything that satisfies the majority vote is a good thing! :) This appears to be a "good thang!" ;)

Jerry Olexa
06-28-2005, 7:24 PM
Showed LOML this post ( I know. Pretty risky:D ). She said that pic of yard wasn't "pretty" enough. ( I took those pics about a month ago and flowers were not yet in bloom ). Therefore, herewith is a new (pic taken today) photo of the back yard with the notorious signpost hidden in the back.:) Can't you tell I'm the BOSS of this house? Back to the shop to sulk...But no more signs for a while...

Jeff A. Smith
06-28-2005, 7:53 PM
You have a beautiful back yard. It reminds me of mine, except that yours is landscaped nicely and very well kept -- but we both have grass :o .

Did you do your own landscaping? Regardless of who did it, it looks super!

Jeff Smith
Athens, AL

John Hemenway
06-28-2005, 8:16 PM
One of the best things about 'questionable' garden decorations is the plants will grow to mask them! :)

Your yard looks great and the sign is almost invisible (to me). I'll bet you can see it real good, though. Kinda like the mistake on the underside of your last woodworking project!

Frank Pellow
06-28-2005, 10:25 PM
That does look like a very nice back yard :) (but it seems to be missing a woodworking shop :( )

Robert Ziegler
06-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Did I see a sign for Wall Drug in the background?

Jerry Olexa
06-28-2005, 10:38 PM
You have a beautiful back yard. It reminds me of mine, except that yours is landscaped nicely and very well kept -- but we both have grass :o .

Did you do your own landscaping? Regardless of who did it, it looks super!

Jeff Smith
Athens, AL

Jeff, my wife thoroughly enjoys and does most of the gardening and landscaping. I help w the the "unskilled" grunt jobs. We did have a little outside help setting the initial beds etc. Thanks for compliment...