PDA

View Full Version : "New" Drill Press

Bill Grumbine
06-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Greetings all

Today I spent some money sort of on impulse, figuring I could not let a potential deal pass me by. A friend of mine recently bought an entire shop full of tools from the widow of a woodworker. From what he was telling me I think he gave her more than she was looking to get, but that is the kind of guy he is. Anyway, he asked me if I would be interested in a drill press. He would have kept it for himself, but he does not have room for it.

To make a long story a little shorter, The drill press turned out to be a Rockwell/Delta tabletop machine with its own Rockwell supplied table. I have not yet called Delta, but it looks like it was built sometime in the 70s, and is not their imported machine. It is a radial press with a 32" swing, tilting head, etc. It has five speeds starting at 700 rpm, so I won't be putting too many Forstner bits in it, and it does not have enough height to drill the tap handles I make, but I got it for $95.00. Now I just need to figure out where to put it.

So, did I do good? ;)

Bill

lou sansone
06-28-2005, 12:45 PM
hi bill
where are the pictures ? :D
we want pictures ;)

you probably did very good, the only problem I can see is that it is not a chiawaneese made. How can one have a shop and not buy all the new chiawaneese tools. I am sure you know that I am joking.

here is my radial arm drill press

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18970

one of the best types of tools a ww can have in the shop IMHO of course

regards
lou

Bill Lewis
06-28-2005, 2:01 PM
Lou, I swear it!, Now I know where I've seen that drill press. It is really the Queen Alien from the "Alien" movie series.

Bill you did good, but if you're too confused on where to put it or what to use it for, Don't worry. Next trip to the MIL's and I can release you from your burden.

Bill Grumbine
06-29-2005, 8:23 AM
Hi Lou

Why, it is the exact same thing you have there! :eek: Well, I guess it is a little smaller. I will try to get pictures in a day or so, but things are so hectic I don't have time to scratch, and I can't find anyone who will take the job. I know what you mean about all those new Chinese things, but I have gone European - English and Italian lathes, Italian stationary machines, and German hand tools. This drill press marks the reentry of an American built tool when that still meant something. Oh yeah, I just upgraded my Oneida from the 1 1/2 HP to the Gorilla, so that is American too. The shop is in a real state of flux right now, but I will get pics as soon as possible.

Bill

Bill Grumbine
06-29-2005, 8:25 AM
Bill you did good, but if you're too confused on where to put it or what to use it for, Don't worry. Next trip to the MIL's and I can release you from your burden.

Hi Bill

Thanks for your very kind offer, but I think I can squeeze it in somehow. Now, if you need a very well built Italian copy lathe, I can help you out there. ;) And, if you are coming by this way, let me know. The shop door is always open for visitors.

Bill

Lee Schierer
06-29-2005, 8:43 AM
So what I want to know is when is the ground breaking for the new wing of the woodshop. With all that new equipment you'll either have to put wheels on everything, build an addition or make a shop annex in one of the barns.

lou sansone
06-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Hi Lou

Why, it is the exact same thing you have there! :eek: Well, I guess it is a little smaller. I will try to get pictures in a day or so, but things are so hectic I don't have time to scratch, and I can't find anyone who will take the job. I know what you mean about all those new Chinese things, but I have gone European - English and Italian lathes, Italian stationary machines, and German hand tools. This drill press marks the reentry of an American built tool when that still meant something. Oh yeah, I just upgraded my Oneida from the 1 1/2 HP to the Gorilla, so that is American too. The shop is in a real state of flux right now, but I will get pics as soon as possible.

Bill

hi bill
wow!! you were able to get a drill press just like the one I am showing ?

They are known as RAM's and are just superb for woodworking. If you really managed to get one for 95 bucks you should win the top award for the best haul of the year. The best I have ever seen these go for is at least 400 and normally between 700 and 2000.

Glad to hear that your shop is "well tooled". I really believe that it is not that hard to do given the great amount of used equipment out there, provided one knows how to fix things and make a part here or there. Love to see some photos of your shop.

best wishes
lou

Bill Grumbine
06-30-2005, 3:48 PM
So what I want to know is when is the ground breaking for the new wing of the woodshop. With all that new equipment you'll either have to put wheels on everything, build an addition or make a shop annex in one of the barns.

Hi Lee

I would love a bigger shop, and the barn would be ideal except that it is sitting on the wrong side of the road. When we first moved here we did not own it, and it is on a different deed than the house lot. The house lot is zoned for the business, while the barn lot is not. It would cost me $500 just to ask the question about zoning it or not, and it would probably be not, although the folks on the zoning board are friendly with me. They did a stretch to allow the house lot to be zoned since the shop is not attached to the house. What will probably happen down the line is that I will build a new shop in the field out past the pool. There is very little anyone could do to interfere with that, at least now. Who knows what will happen in the future.

Adding onto the current shop is not even really possible, since it is in the right of way. Last year we went to a supervisor's meeting to ask if we could extend the front porch to meet the side porch, to which there is no current access. The supervisors were fine with the idea, even though the house is also in the right of way. We were not going to encroach on anything. But, the township engineer had a tantrum. He did everything but hold his breath and roll on the floor, and finally the lawyer started getting skittish. End of story, no extension, and we are going to have to figure out how to do it form the rear of the house.

Bill

Bill Grumbine
06-30-2005, 3:51 PM
Love to see some photos of your shop.

Hi Lou

There are some pics somewhere on the web, but they are so out of date it is almost nor recognizable as my shop anymore. I will be getting some new ones together once things are a little better organized (HAH -like that is ever going to happen). I will try for something a little faster, like when the big machines are all piped to the DC. :rolleyes:

Bill