PDA

View Full Version : Is this combination square a Starrett?

Keith Pitman
05-30-2014, 10:59 AM
I found this combination square in my late father-in-law's tools. The rule is marked "Starrett," but the head is not. The head has the letters "CER" stamped in two places, but no other marks. Is it a Starrett tool?

Loren Woirhaye
05-30-2014, 11:37 AM
Probably. I'm not an expert but I have some fine squares where only the rule is badged.

Mike Henderson
05-30-2014, 12:13 PM
I would guess "yes". I have one from my father, who was a machinist, that looks exactly the same and I know it's a Starrett. Mine probably goes back to the 1930's. I got a new "no glare" blade for mine because the old blade was pretty worn and hard to read. I use the square on a regular basis and it's still accurate (I checked it).

Mike

william watts
05-30-2014, 1:06 PM
I have a Starrett combination square, from my father, and both the rule and the head are marked. The head on yours has beading around the edges and a cross hatch pattern on the the body. Mine has neither of those. Yours looks like an older version, that is prettier, and still has the scribe that is lost on mine.

Michael Kellough
05-30-2014, 3:12 PM
Yes, that is an early Starrett head.

Here is an even earlier version, maybe the first, that show close similarity, if you ignore the huge embossed cast lettering.

Larry Browning
05-30-2014, 3:39 PM
I have one that looks just like it. It was my father's. He worked sheet metal building aircraft. The only markings on it are his initials stamped on the edge of the head.(JFB) Maybe that is what the CER is on yours. Mine however is not in very good shape. The ruler won't hardly slide, and there is lots of play in it. So much so that it is not usable. I think the shaft used to hold it in place is broken. I remember it being that way when I was a child. I guess I should try to repair it, but do not know where to get replacement parts, especially if it is a Starrett.

Keith Pitman
05-30-2014, 9:05 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I thought it was a Starrett too. I was just a little baffled by the lack of identification on the head itself. You would think a manufacturer would want all the recognition it could get. By the way, it is square. I'll enjoy using it.

Rich Tomassetti
05-30-2014, 9:30 PM
The head looks very much like the 'Lufkin" of old and no longer being made.
I found this combination square in my late father-in-law's tools. The rule is marked "Starrett," but the head is not. The head has the letters "CER" stamped in two places, but no other marks. Is it a Starrett tool?

Bob Turkovich
05-30-2014, 9:54 PM
Keith,

I have a Starrett 6" combination square that was handed down from my FIL that looks very close to yours. There are Starrett markings on both the rule and the head. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow PM after my daughter (who's the photographer in the family) can take some good detailed photos, but here's a summary of my comparison looking at your picture:

Head: Identical in profile, flanges, etchings, etc., as the one you've got but slightly smaller (12" vs. 6" ?). Starrett is inscribed on the middle of the 90 degree flange. Knob has 3 knurled rings as opposed to 2. Head of the scribe is different.

Rule: "No 4 GRAD. THE L.S. STARRETT CO. ATHOL, MASS, U.S.A. HARDENED MADE IN U.S.A." inscribed on the rule. Number fonts appear identical.

Mike Henderson
05-30-2014, 11:45 PM
Here's a few pictures of the Starrett I inherited. No scribe but otherwise in good shape. Note that I replaced the blade.

Mike

Mike Henderson
05-30-2014, 11:50 PM
I have one that looks just like it. It was my father's. He worked sheet metal building aircraft. The only markings on it are his initials stamped on the edge of the head.(JFB) Maybe that is what the CER is on yours. Mine however is not in very good shape. The ruler won't hardly slide, and there is lots of play in it. So much so that it is not usable. I think the shaft used to hold it in place is broken. I remember it being that way when I was a child. I guess I should try to repair it, but do not know where to get replacement parts, especially if it is a Starrett.
I contacted Starrett about a part I needed for one of their tools (an old tool) and they sent me the part number and cost. Give them a try, maybe send a picture.

Mike

Judson Green
05-31-2014, 9:24 AM
A few photos of my Starrett stuff

The protractor head and the small square head are both marked Starrett, but the center finder is not. The protractor head even has a model number stamped on it.

This photo shows 3 protractor heads; the Starrett, IIRC the green one is a General, and I don't know the other one.

If ya notice, the Starrett is the only one with that shape of adjusting nut. Not sure if that can reliably be used for identification purposes.

Ronald Blue
05-31-2014, 9:30 AM
Starrett was the "standard" that all others were compared to years ago and maybe even to some extent today. I can't say if it's the real deal or not however I have some old Starrett tools and they are all clearly marked. It's quite conceivable that many people could have bought the Starrett scale and a "knock off" head. The Starrett name was a big deal to many in the Machinist trade and I don't see them not putting their name on it someplace even if it was only the ground edge. They were considered to be the best and the best wasn't cheap whether it was 1920 dollars or todays dollars when inflation is factored in.

Michael Kellough
05-31-2014, 10:02 AM
The opening around the locking nut (which is clearly Starrett) is most distinctive.
Yours is the Starrett cast iron shape which follows the outside form.
All Starrett cast iron combination square heads have a similar asymmetrical trapezoid opening around the locking nut.

The Starrett forged and hardened steel head does have an opening similar to the Lufkin head.

Lufkin has a simple wide U shape opening around the nut.

General and PEC have a nearly identical shape to Lufkin.

Larry Browning
05-31-2014, 1:24 PM
Here are some pics of my dad's Starrett. What is the little threaded dohicky that holds the ruler in place called? That is the part I need to replace. I didn't realize this was a Starrett until this thread. I think I may have a restoration project on my hands!

Michael Kellough
05-31-2014, 5:11 PM
Starrett combination square head, bolt and screw.
$5 at MSC (http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/63272397)

Myk Rian
05-31-2014, 9:55 PM
I guess I should try to repair it, but do not know where to get replacement parts, especially if it is a Starrett.
From Starrett in Athol Mass.
I used to repair precision tools, and always ordered my parts directly from the factory.