PDA

View Full Version : Now I know my work is international!

John Keeton
05-29-2014, 9:15 AM
Some of you may recall that the Kentucky Arts Council awarded me the commission to create the 2013 Kentucky Governor's Awards in the Arts. That was a great blessing by itself, financially rewarding, and a significant step forward for me professionally.

Since that time, the Governor awarded one of my works to a legislator. That piece was one of several previously sold to the Kentucky Artisan Center in Berea – by far my best venue. They commissioned me to create a base for that turning consistent with its purpose as an award.

Most recently, on behalf of the Governor's office, Travel and Tourism contacted and informed me they had purchased another piece from the Artisan Center. This time, it was for the Governor to present to Matthew Barzun, the US Ambassador to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, based in London, England. The Governor would present the piece during an international trip to promote Kentucky tourism starting on May 10.

Like the other, I did not design this piece to have a base. On the prior piece, the base required space for a brass plaque, and they wanted it to have the appearance of a standard base one might see on a trophy.

This one, however, was not to have a plaque, and I was permitted artistic freedom in design. It was challenging, as I had to mentally revisit the piece and envision what I might have done differently at the time. I also had less than two weeks within which to get the piece ready. Given finishing time, that meant I needed to act in haste!

This was the piece as created in July last year.

The finial is a "stylized" K. The wood is Padauk with an African Blackwood collar and finial. Kind of a standard "bag of sand" form, and not something one typically sees sitting on an integral base.

Fortunately, I still had on hand remnants from the same Padauk, though as one might expect, the color was substantially different. Also, I was very limited in the size of the stock I had, so the design had to accommodate the wood on hand. In order to minimize the difference in color, I "baked" the Padauk portion in the sun for a couple of days while completing the other components of the base and preparing the form for the glue up.

This is the finished piece. While the color on the base had not darkened as much, it was a close match.

The Governor presented the piece to the Ambassador at a reception on May 12. Governor Steve Beshear is on the right, and the Ambassador on the left.

This is indeed an unexpected blessing and a bright spot in my relatively short turning career. In addition to the talents gifted from God, I owe most of the progress in my turning endeavors to the good folks on this forum that guided me along the way! Thanks for the encouragement and tutoring and for allowing me to share!

Roger Chandler
05-29-2014, 9:35 AM
This is a super accolade to your fine craftsmanship and artistry, John! I have feelings of joy, knowing that a friend has been blessed with good fortune in his turning endeavors. Your work shines..........partly because of the thoughtful design you put into it, and partly because of the superb craftsmanship that is evident in your finished pieces.

Being able to pull off that base and have it match the previously made form, is not an easy feat...........baking the padauk in the sun to darken it, and get it where it was a fair match must have meant a lot of careful monitoring.

What wonderful pics............thanks for posting this! While you had shared this with me privately, your previous communication did not have the latest presentation picture................that Ambassador, really does not know how blessed he is to have an original JK piece! ;)

I congratulate you on your "international debut!!!" :)

Mel Fulks
05-29-2014, 10:32 AM
Original and beautiful , a tough combination to get. The finial instantly reminded me of a woman dancing. Congratulation on getting an important commission .

Ken Fitzgerald
05-29-2014, 10:50 AM
Pilgrim.....you have come a long way .......from turning a couple table legs! :eek::D

Congratulations my friend! It's a well deserved honor for an artist for whom I have great respect as an artist and a person!

Steve Schlumpf
05-29-2014, 10:55 AM
John, congrats! Nothing makes me happier than to see good friend advance in their turning careers - and man, have you ever advanced!!

I know there are a lot of us on the Creek that were there when you first started turning and we have followed your progress ever since. For those new members, not familiar with John's work, check out his website (http://johnkeeton.com/index.html). You will totally enjoy it!

Sid Matheny
05-29-2014, 11:02 AM
Congrats John and you are a great craftsman. I never get tired of seeing the wonderful pieces you show us here. Thanks for sharing your work and all the help you give us with each post you make.

Sid

Robert Henrickson
05-29-2014, 11:12 AM
Congratulations! The pedestal looks original, rather than an addition. And to think that it all started with table legs.

Michelle Rich
05-29-2014, 11:24 AM
well deserved & truly earned

terry mccammon
05-29-2014, 11:27 AM
Congrats John.

Scott Hackler
05-29-2014, 12:17 PM
Very cool John. Congrats on the sale and recognition for your extraordinary work (even for a flat worker!) :)

Jim Underwood
05-29-2014, 12:35 PM
Wow! Now we can all say "we knew John, when...".

And "Bag of Sand" doesn't describe that HF nearly well enough.

Allan Ferguson
05-29-2014, 12:42 PM
A lovely turning. Still reflect upon my visit several years back. Allan

Dale Miner
05-29-2014, 1:43 PM
We knew John before he was famous......

Keith Outten
05-29-2014, 2:00 PM
Congratulations John!

Mikail Khan
05-29-2014, 2:48 PM
Congratulations. Beautiful piece.

MK

charlie knighton
05-29-2014, 3:27 PM
congratulations, John

Doug Ladendorf
05-29-2014, 6:28 PM
Those are two very beautiful pieces. Well done and congratulations.

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-29-2014, 7:46 PM
That's a wonderful honor and an everlasting memory.
Congrats, faust

Rob Miller
05-29-2014, 8:47 PM
Congratulations, John. In the short time I've been on the forum you've been a great help to me -- I'm thinking it couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

James Combs
05-29-2014, 8:49 PM
Congrats John, its amazing what a Kentucky lawyer can do.:rolleyes:

John Keeton
05-29-2014, 8:58 PM
Thanks! I really do appreciate all the best wishes and all the help along the way.

Greg A Jones
05-29-2014, 9:04 PM
Congrats - gives we newbs hope!!!

David Cramer
05-29-2014, 9:33 PM
Mr. Keeton,

Geez, you got game!!!!

That turned out amazingly well! Congrats:)

David

Thomas Heck
05-29-2014, 10:04 PM
Congratulations! That is a great accomplishment.

Steve Mawson
05-29-2014, 10:31 PM
Way to go JK. You mention all the folks helping along the way which I believe we can all say, however don't forget you have helped a lot of us as well.

Well deserved.

Roland Martin
05-30-2014, 7:01 AM
A very impressive addition to an already amazing "bag of sand" A challenge to say the least, congratulations on your international debut!

Jerry Rhoads
05-30-2014, 7:28 AM
Congratulations John
Those are both wonderful pieces

Jerry

Dennis Nagle
05-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Very cool John. That is a beautiful piece.

jwjerry w kowalski
05-30-2014, 12:46 PM
Well deserved John, the piece is exceptional, like all of your work, the finial is so creative and different, it is so hard to come up with an original concept with all the influences that we see everyday, but this one accomplished it with flying colors.

Doug Herzberg
05-30-2014, 1:28 PM
John, it's a beautiful piece of art and the recognition is well deserved. Despite the modern flair, there is an old world feeling about it. It belongs in the UK.

In addition to the talents gifted from God, I owe most of the progress in my turning endeavors to the good folks on this forum that guided me along the way! Thanks for the encouragement and tutoring and for allowing me to share! You've certainly "paid it forward" many times over and I, for one, thank you.

John Beaver
05-30-2014, 2:37 PM
John, Congrats on all your success. It couldn't happen to a better guy.
I've really enjoyed watching you progress and succeed.

Bruce Lundgren
05-30-2014, 4:52 PM
Congratulations my friend and well deserved! Your work and artistic eye is something all of us can emulate. As your former student at Campbell Folk School earlier this year you challenged and encouraged me to create my first hollow form that I'm not sure I would have ever attempted on my own!

Bruce

Kathy Marshall
05-30-2014, 11:13 PM
Congratulations John!
A beautiful piece well deserving of the recognition!

John Keeton
05-31-2014, 6:27 AM
I really do appreciate everyone's comments - particularly those from folks that have been a part of my travels along this road. I can't emphasis enough the knowledge and tutoring I received from folks here on the creek. I truly feel blessed. None of us should take this resource for granted. SMC is the largest woodworking forum on the web, and the collective resources here are astounding. By participating, and by contributing, you are a part of that resource.

My progression into turning has its history, most of which played out here on the creek. I went from a flatworker of many years, to being a hybrid Neander using mostly handtools for detail work. Much of what I learned in those years transferred to my turning - joinery, sanding and finishing techniques, and decades of exposure to the various species of domestic woods. A lot of the more recently acquired skills resulted from knowledge gained on the creek, so there are many to thank - even outside the Turner's Forum.

But, there are those special folks here in the Turner's Forum that were especially encouraging and helpful, and I will never forget those folks. When I first decided to turn a set of table legs, I never conceived of where this road might lead me. I certainly have no idea what the future holds, but I do know I will enjoy each and every day of it more because of my woodturning.

Thanks!!

Tom Sherman
05-31-2014, 9:53 AM
Congratulations John quite an honor. I have been away from woodturning and these forums for some time but I am not surprised to find that you have reached this plateau in your turning career. Your work has always been exemplary, and was just a matter of time to receive the recognition from the non-turning world. Well done sir.

Greg Just
05-31-2014, 8:52 PM
Congratulations. When I met you in St. Paul a couple of years ago, I knew you were a special guy. You are an inspiration.

Jim Leslie
06-01-2014, 5:21 PM
Congratulations John! Well done!!

Jamie Donaldson
06-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Outstanding work and recognition John, and the bonus is that you were paid by a politician!:D

John Keeton
06-03-2014, 5:49 PM
Thanks, again! Jamie, actually, it was a Commonwealth of KY check, so.......thanks for making it possible with your tax dollars!!

Roger Chandler
06-03-2014, 6:39 PM
Thanks, again! Jamie, actually, it was a Commonwealth of KY check, so.......thanks for making it possible with your tax dollars!!

:D:D:D.......well, at least someone besides the politician got some.........that ain't bad in my book! ;)

steven carter
06-04-2014, 8:26 AM
The only thing that could make it better would be if you lived in Paducah ;). Congratulations on your recognition by others outside the creek. Those of us in the creek already know! I knew the artisan center would be a good fit for your work, I'll be going by there on Friday but doubt they will be open at 4 am. I have a tee time at Gatlinburg Country Club at 9:40.