PDA

View Full Version : Traveling on I-70

Andrew Fleck
05-29-2014, 6:08 AM
I start my move to the east coast tomorrow and will be traveling on I-70 for a large portion of the trip. Basically from St Louis to Pittsburgh and then I-76 from there, but I don't usually have any problems on I-76. Is there any serious road construction that any of you who use I-70 know about? I travel that route a couple of times a year and generally hit moderate construction, but it's only been bad with serious delays once. If any of you know of any delays I can plan some bypasses into the trip before I leave in case I need to use them. I've found internet reports to be hit or miss so I thought I would try here.

Bruce Pratt
05-29-2014, 7:04 AM
Google Maps shows sites of established construction zones.

Bryan Rocker
05-29-2014, 1:00 PM
There's always construction on the interstates ;0

Brian Tymchak
05-29-2014, 1:58 PM
Although I haven't driven down that way any time recently, I know that there is a lot of construction, ramp and road closures on the south outer belt (I-270) here in Columbus. In fact, Google Traffic has been showing a road closure on 270 for quite a few weeks. The fastest way through CBus would be to stay on I-70, but miss the rush hours 7-9, 4-6(ish). I've heard that eastbound 70 headed out the east side of the city quickly gets to be a parking lot in the afternoon.

Jim Koepke
05-29-2014, 2:38 PM
Here in Washington we have WSDOT.com that has a state map of traffic alerts.

It has different codings for the various slowdowns including accidents.

Maybe other states have a similar site.

jtk

Dan Hintz
05-29-2014, 3:43 PM
Where ya headed, Andrew?

James Conrad
05-29-2014, 3:57 PM
If you have a smart phone a traffic app is helpful, I like INRIX, or if you have an iPhone you can enable traffic on your map.

Myk Rian
05-29-2014, 8:27 PM
If you have a smart phone a traffic app is helpful, I like INRIX, or if you have an iPhone you can enable traffic on your map.
Another one is Waze. Kept alive by people actually on the road.

Andrew Fleck
05-29-2014, 10:41 PM
Thanks Brian. I will give going straight through a shot. I've seen that in other cities where avouding the bypass is actually quicker.

Matt Meiser
05-29-2014, 10:43 PM
That's definitely true in Indy.

Andrew Fleck
05-29-2014, 10:46 PM
Carlisle, PA to visit my family, then down to Gaithersburg, MD to visit my inlaws. After that it's off to Harisonburg, VA or somewhere near there to live. I'm starting a new job in Harrisonburg this summer.

Dan Hintz
05-30-2014, 7:19 AM
Let everyone know when you get to MD... I'm sure a few of us wouldn't mind meeting up for a burger and/or beer. Good groups in PA and VA, too.