PDA

View Full Version : Edge banding with hot hide glue?

Max Neu
05-28-2014, 6:34 AM
I do most of my edgebanding with a Brandt edgebander,but sometimes if I have a curved piece,or just a small amount,so I use an iron on edgeband.I must say,I have never felt good about the bond quality of these pre glued edgebands,so I am thinking maybe hot hide glue would be a good option.I was wondering if anyone here has done much edgebanding (with veneer) using hot hide glue,and if anyone has any advise to give.Also,I was thinking a stronger gram weight,like 350gr might be best,so it with tack quicker,and not require as much working?I have plenty of 192gr for flat veneering,but I wouldn't mind getting something stronger for this purpose if it would be beneficial.Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Justin Ludwig
05-28-2014, 7:14 AM
All the curved pieces I've had to edge band were done with pre-glued banding from WilsonArt. Though it was a major PITA, the glue held up fine. The key for me was getting the surface as smooth as possible. Most times I end up cutting those radii with a band or jig saw and it requires a little extra TLC on prep work. I never had enough parts to justify building a jig for a flush trim bit.

Matt Meiser
05-28-2014, 8:40 AM
Have you tried the Fastcap stuff? I've used it on two kitchens and I"m really happy with it. Quite a bit of what I used was PVC since they had a color that matched the prefinished ply I used perfectly, but also a decent amount of unfinished wood. I've also used the tape to make a veneer patch to fix a misplaced screw during an install recently. Their adhesive is really strong and an instant bond with no heat.

Cliff Polubinsky
05-28-2014, 9:32 AM
A couple weekends ago I did a hammer veneering class at Marc Adams school. Edgebanding with hot hide glue was one of the processes we did. Worked fine. You'll want an iron for reheating the veneer/glue before you hammer it down (DON'T use your wife's. Get one from Goodwill). The gram strength the instructor reccommended was around 200-210 gram and he said 192 was ok as well.

Cliff