PDA

View Full Version : Bionics

Shawn Pixley
05-27-2014, 10:48 PM
I've been suffering with two degenerated discs in my neck. These pinch the nerve roots causing numbness, tingling, weakness, and (sometimes severe) pain in my arms. Various therapies have given temperary and limited relief. I'll go into surgery tomorrow to have the discs removed and a couple of implants installed. Hopefully this will allow me to live a more normal life and I can resume my previous active lifestyle. With the implants I am reminded of the Bionic Man. I wonder what "super powers" I will get with this?

I am hoping with recovery, I can at least occupy my time with some inlay projects but we'll see. I won't be able to lift things and can't drive for a while, but if I end up pain free, I'll deem it a success. I suppose this should have been expected given all the things I did up to this point.

Bruce Page
05-27-2014, 11:00 PM
I wish you a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. Maybe you’ll get 360 rotation re: The Exorcist. :eek:

Mel Fulks
05-27-2014, 11:08 PM
So that's why you need the additional electricity! Saw a movie where the guy getting new parts had to
wait for a thunder storm! Hope you get some relief, good luck.

Justin Ludwig
05-28-2014, 7:00 AM
Good luck, Shawn. Chronic pain sucks. 6 months from now, we expect pictures of you break dancing and doing head-spins. :D

Jason Roehl
05-28-2014, 7:29 AM
Wishing you well on your surgery and recovery!

Art Mann
05-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Shawn, I wish for you the very best possible outcome. Keep in touch while you are out of commission and let us know how you are doing.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Wishing you the best Shawn! Follow the doctors orders after the surgery!

I broke my back in 2001. I'm a full 8mm shorter than I was before the accident. Back problems can cause some serious pain!

BTW I am a CI-borg. I am deaf and hear via the technology of a Cochlear Implant.

Rick Potter
05-28-2014, 1:01 PM
Hope you come out better than new. I know exactly how you feel.

RP"

Larry Frank
05-28-2014, 8:42 PM
I hope that the surgery is successful and it reduces your pain and gives you back as much as possible your active lifestyle.

I have had spinal fusion in the lower back and it greatly helped me. However, I complained to the doctor that I did not feel 18 years old again. He looked at me and laughed and said that since I was 55 at the time, I should be happy to feel that age.

As one who has gone through spinal surgery, I know that it is not easy and you will need therapy. It will take awhile for a full recovery from the surgery but will pray for the best possible result.

Michael Weber
05-28-2014, 8:53 PM
Good luck Shawn. Back pain is the pits. Wife has had her knees replaced and it's a world of difference. Like Ken I have a Cochlear Implant. Becoming bionic in one way or the other is becoming pretty common place. Wonder what the future holds?

Frederick Skelly
05-28-2014, 9:04 PM
Good luck Shawn! We hope you have a full and speedy recovery!
Fred

Dok Yager
05-28-2014, 9:46 PM
Shawn wishing you a full and complete recovery and new found comfort!

Leigh Betsch
05-28-2014, 11:32 PM
Yeah good luck and a speedy recovery.

John Coloccia
05-29-2014, 2:10 AM
chuh chuh chuh chuh chuh chuh chuh chuh chuh

Brian W Smith
05-29-2014, 5:51 AM
Wishes for clear sailing....and speed on the recovery.

Patrick McCarthy
05-29-2014, 9:24 AM
Sean, wishing you well, and a full recovery. Patrick

Shawn Pixley
05-29-2014, 3:40 PM
First let me thank you all for the well wishes. I really appreciate this.

Here is the update. The surgery went very well. The neck discs between cervical 5&6 and 6&7 were removed and implants were installed in their place. My neurosurgeon said that the MRI was over optimistic as to the state of the discs. It was bone on bone at the rear of the vertebrae. In addition there was a large bone spur. This certainly accounts for the pinched nerves as to the source of the symptoms. I was out of surgery at 4PM Wednesday and at my room at 5:45. Hook up to the pain relief dispenser at 6:00. Last night was pretty bad from the pain. I could't sleep more than 5-10 minutes at a time.

This morning the surgeon ran me through function tests and examined me all around. I passed with flying colors. I was able to walk with a neck collar. As we can treat the pain equally well at home, I have been discharged and am back home. I still need to rest and recouporate, but it is easier (and cheaper) at home. Additionally, there is less exposure to other contagions than at a hospital. I am on pain killer high right now but not yet out of it. I don't expect this to last. I still can't eat solid food due to both the breathing tube and the retratcion of the esophagus and trachea to gain access to the vertebrae. I have extra cool Frankenstein monster stitches in my neck. I'll need to go elsewhere to get electrodes installed.

All in all I am pretty pleased. Again, thanks to all of you for the good thoughts. This is a primary reason why I appreciate this community so. You guys and girls are the best!

Phil Thien
05-29-2014, 4:30 PM
I suppose I'm sounding like a broken record but modern medicine is really pretty darn amazing.

Good luck on a speedy 110% recovery!

BTW, how long were you in surgery for this?

Chris Padilla
05-29-2014, 5:16 PM
chuh chuh chuh chuh chuh chuh chuh chuh chuh

I think it's more like:

chi chi chi chi chi chi chi chi

Sounds good, Shawn! Now to hurry up and heal!!! :)

Dok Yager
05-29-2014, 5:42 PM
Awesome news Shawn!! Go home relax and listen to some good music, as I know you do from AK.

Jim Matthews
05-29-2014, 6:21 PM
Do let us know when you're sufficiently recovered to saw by hand, again.

Radiculopathy is maddening, and I've seen what that does to those with a chronic condition.
My last paying gig was selling and training interventional radiologists on a product for pain management.

Some of the patients were weeping openly by the time we got them on the table.
The immediate effects of their nerve blocks were remarkable.

I wouldn't wish agony like that on anyone.

Bill McNiel
05-29-2014, 7:12 PM
Shawn,
Great to hear that you are apparently on the road to recovery. Spinal issues are right up there at the top of the ugly list. For me, the worst part of recovery from surgery are the pain killers. They can really screw with you but then again you have to "stay ahead of the pain". rest well and know that alot of folks are rooting for you.

Raymond Fries
05-29-2014, 7:46 PM
May all go well...
...and heal soon so you can get back to those things you enjoy.

Enjoy Life...

Ed Aumiller
05-29-2014, 7:52 PM
Good luck, hope you heal fast... will pray for your recovery...

Ralph Okonieski
05-29-2014, 7:56 PM
It is good to hear the surgery went well. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Frederick Skelly
05-29-2014, 8:11 PM
Glad it went well and that you are home. Much more restful than in the hospital (once you CAN sleep).

Keep us posted.
Fred

Bruce Page
05-29-2014, 9:50 PM
Glad for you that things went well. Wait awhile before you start doing the 360. :rolleyes::p

Shawn Pixley
05-29-2014, 10:31 PM
I suppose I'm sounding like a broken record but modern medicine is really pretty darn amazing.

Good luck on a speedy 110% recovery!

BTW, how long were you in surgery for this?

Pre-op was ~2 hours. The surgery itself was 3-1/2 hours. Recovery room was another 1-3/4 hours. It does seem remarkable that I could need to spend less than 24 hours (includes surgical time) in the hospital before getting to go home.

I am very impressed by my neurologist / neurosugeon. I did a fair bit of research in selecting him. It was either him or I would have had to drive 2 hours each way into physicians in LA with practice rights at either UCLA or Cedar Sinai MC.

What I really want to know how they screw the implant into the vertebrae in the small space between. The model he showed didn't have the titanium screws toenailed in.

Greg Peterson
05-29-2014, 11:19 PM
Here's hoping to a speedy, full recovery and maybe even get back some of your lost flexibility/strength/activity.

paul cottingham
05-30-2014, 12:47 AM
Shawn, did they install the implants (which I assume are new replacement discs) from the front or rear? I had one installed from the front, and other than a problem related to my huge (21"!) neck I was much better almost right away. I was managing pain with Tylenol in a day, so you should be feeling much better very soon.

Listen to your doc, manage your pain well (you heal faster if you have less pain) and don't be dumb like me, and start being too physical, too soon. Heal well, and soon!

John Coloccia
05-30-2014, 12:57 AM
Hope you recover soon, Shawn!

But let's get to the important stuff...

What stones does he use to sharpen his scalpel?

Shawn Pixley
05-30-2014, 11:42 AM
Shawn, did they install the implants (which I assume are new replacement discs) from the front or rear? I had one installed from the front, and other than a problem related to my huge (21"!) neck I was much better almost right away. I was managing pain with Tylenol in a day, so you should be feeling much better very soon.

Listen to your doc, manage your pain well (you heal faster if you have less pain) and don't be dumb like me, and start being too physical, too soon. Heal well, and soon!

Paul, thank you for the encouragement. It was an anterior procedure. This is preferrable as you are not cutting any muscle but merely pushing it to the side. I am tall and lean, so I can't relate to your large neck issue. I am not sure I would characterize the implant as a replacement disc. This implant provides the appropriate space like the disc but do not allow the vertebrae to independently spin laterally. Ultimately the three discs will fuse together.

I mostly slept through the night, awaking once for more pain killers. This morning the pain killers had fully worn off so I await them kicking in again. Still, I think the progress is remarkable.

paul cottingham
05-30-2014, 12:42 PM
Paul, thank you for the encouragement. It was an anterior procedure. This is preferrable as you are not cutting any muscle but merely pushing it to the side. I am tall and lean, so I can't relate to your large neck issue. I am not sure I would characterize the implant as a replacement disc. This implant provides the appropriate space like the disc but do not allow the vertebrae to independently spin laterally. Ultimately the three discs will fuse together.

I mostly slept through the night, awaking once for more pain killers. This morning the pain killers had fully worn off so I await them kicking in again. Still, I think the progress is remarkable.

I understand that is where my procedure went wrong. They could not push the muscle to the side....it took two of them pushing and pulling to make room!

I am pretty sure I have the same implant as you. Trust me, it makes a massive difference, and quickly. The day after the surgery I was able to close my right fist, something I had not been able to do for months. I was walking up and down stairs in no time, and was swimming inside of three months, despite a setback that put me back in hospital for a week due to my huge neck - something that clearly will not affect you. I need another operation, two more discs need replacing, but we are putting it off for obvious reasons.

i was back in the shop, puttering, sharpening, and doings small things quite quickly. It is good therapy.

Get well, sir! I hope all my self centered ramblings can be of some encouragement.

Oh, like John, I am interested in the important stuff. Did you make sure the surgeon sharpens his scalpels freehand? Oil or water stones? Does he use a -gasp- strop?

Jim Becker
06-11-2014, 2:12 PM
Best wishes for a great recovery!

Shawn Pixley
06-11-2014, 5:29 PM
I understand that is where my procedure went wrong. They could not push the muscle to the side....it took two of them pushing and pulling to make room!

I am pretty sure I have the same implant as you. Trust me, it makes a massive difference, and quickly. The day after the surgery I was able to close my right fist, something I had not been able to do for months. I was walking up and down stairs in no time, and was swimming inside of three months, despite a setback that put me back in hospital for a week due to my huge neck - something that clearly will not affect you. I need another operation, two more discs need replacing, but we are putting it off for obvious reasons.

i was back in the shop, puttering, sharpening, and doings small things quite quickly. It is good therapy.

Get well, sir! I hope all my self centered ramblings can be of some encouragement.

Oh, like John, I am interested in the important stuff. Did you make sure the surgeon sharpens his scalpels freehand? Oil or water stones? Does he use a -gasp- strop?

As I posted before the original operation went great. I was relaesed the next day. Unfortunately 3 days following my release,my neck ended up swelling enormously with a high fever, and I had difficulty in swallowing. I was readmitted and they opened me up again to drain fluid build-up in my neck. That also went straight forward. No infection fortunately, but an apparent side effect of the trauma of surgery.

The primary endpoint of the surgery was 100% successful. The functionality of my arms is 100%. No tingling, no numbness, full sensation, and full strength / dexterity. When the surgeon saw the vertebrae pinching the nerve bon on bone in person, he was surprised that I was as functional as I was before the operation. The implants also corrected the curvature to the correct angle. The degenerated discs had allowed the vertibrae to curve in the wrong direction.

I got back home and am recovering well. There are two ares that hurt. The neck with the incision (fron right side) and all of the musculature from the cranium through the thoratic vertebrae. With the pain killers, I feel remarkably good. If I miss a time, my body lets me know in no uncertain terms that I still am hurting. I am still working with the transition to solid food. The back is still stiff and sore.

I had a follow-up visit to the surgeon yesterday. Should be about 6 more weeks of recovery. I asked when I could start working out again, but unfortunately he thought I was trying to rush it too much. So, no driving, no lifting of anything over 10 lbs or so.

However, the good news! He did say that I could work with hand tools (planes, saws, chisels, etc...) on small projects.

I'll need someone else to lift my woodworking bench (135 lb top) and any other lift I need to turn the Garage to its woodshop configuration. While this will slow down a couple of pieces I want to make, I can find some productive way to fill my time. I already went through my tools and sharpened every chisel and plane blade. But I really want to build something.

Bruce Page
06-11-2014, 6:03 PM
Thanks for the update Shawn. Sorry for the setback but glad you're feeling better now.
One day at a time..

Shawn Pixley
06-11-2014, 9:03 PM
Thanks Bruce / All,

I view the setback as getting a flat tire while returning getting your car back after an accident. Thanks for all your concern and well wishes. It means a lot.

My wife came up with a brilliant idea. The normal shop is our garage where the cars park every night. Usually I set up and tear down by moving the bench / tools myself. I am prohibited from doing that at this time. LOML suggested setting up my bench on the upper deck off of our living room. The weather is nice enough that the bench wouldn't get damaged. I'll cover it up at night. I could likely prep enough material that I could work solely with hand tools for a few weeks. I'll get a neighbor or two carry the bench up.

We'll try it tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Raymond Fries
06-11-2014, 9:33 PM
Hope you find a great little project to get working on. Heal real soon so you can get back to the bigger tools.

Rick Potter
06-12-2014, 2:24 AM
Your first project is getting better, and it seems to be going well.

Glad to see it.

Rick P