PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is "resin animal grease"?

Adrian Page
05-27-2014, 10:42 PM
And why would you want to laser cut it? I see it listed as one of the things you can cut with a laser cutter but Google turned up nothing. I gots to know!

Adrian

Mark Sipes
05-28-2014, 12:10 AM
And where , pray-tell did you see this material listed as suitable for laser engraving??

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/JQ1290-CO2-abs-boars-resin-animal_255094194.html

I can only guess but I would say the marketing department at this Chinese Laser Co attempted to convert (translate) "Leather" and came up with boars-resin-animal-grease.

matthew knott
05-28-2014, 2:27 PM
I tried converting it back in to Chinese then back from that into English but got no clues, very Chinglish that is 公猪,树脂动物油脂激光切割/雕刻机

David Somers
05-28-2014, 3:18 PM
Well, Jinan Huawei shows Resin followed by a comma, and then Animal Grease as fine things to be cut or engraved by laser. So now we just need to figure out who would want to laser engrave or cut animal grease, and for what purpose. Perhaps after you make Lye based soap in China you cut it into cakes and engrave it for sale and the laser is a great tool for that? I now have a vision of Granny from The Beverly Hillbillies boiling down her animal fat/lye soap in that big cauldron she had, with a Trotec Speedy 300 sitting along side it for the cutting and "milling" of the soap. I wonder if this will ever become as vaunted as French Milled Soap?

David Somers
05-28-2014, 4:29 PM
Ooooh! Figured this out. They had a problem with their sentence mapping. They are referring to a new type of laser that uses resin animal grease plasma in the tube instead of CO2. It is a far more efficient wavelength to cut and engrave with. It will become known as a tallow laser. Instead of being DC or RF excited it is excited with a cotton wick and flame. Sounds intriguing!!! Who will be first??? <grin>

Dave

Adrian Page
05-28-2014, 5:44 PM
I will ask my Chinese laser sales lady tonight. It's a common claim for the industry.

Adrian

Dave may be onto something...

Adrian Page
05-29-2014, 8:50 PM
Well... I asked my Chinese sales lady. She had no idea. I think it was a translation error that somehow went viral amongst the various laser manufacturers. Not wanting to risk selling a machine that couldn't cut the same materials as the competition it's been added by almost all of them. Any other theories out there?

Adrian

Phil Thien
05-29-2014, 9:19 PM
I think it is bacon.

Probably smells pretty good when you laser it, too.

Kev Williams
05-30-2014, 1:49 AM
Theory? The closest anything I can think of is catgut...

Adrian Page
05-30-2014, 7:33 AM
I tried to order some but everyone is out of stock...

Adrian