PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerated air dryers.

David Kumm
05-27-2014, 8:09 PM
My old Hankison HT finally gave up and needs replacing. Does a 5 hp 17 cfm piston compressor need a high temp dryer that allows for 185 degree inlet temperatures or is a lower temp model acceptable? Dave

Jim Neeley
05-27-2014, 10:40 PM
My old Hankison HT finally gave up and needs replacing. Does a 5 hp 17 cfm piston compressor need a high temp dryer that allows for 185 degree inlet temperatures or is a lower temp model acceptable? Dave

Dave,

That depends on whether you install the dryer on the compressor outlet or the tank outlet.

I built an aftercooler for my 5hp 14.7 cfm (175 psi) I-R and it's compressor discharge temperature is way above 185.. You can feel the heat radiate from the brass fittings.

Before I installed it though I ran the compressor non-stop for 90 minutes while using a pneumatic sander and the tank discharge temperature never exceeded 100F.

David Kumm
05-27-2014, 11:19 PM
I'm running from the tank- 80 gal. Two stage set at 150 at the compressor than regulated down to 90 for the lines. Dave

Steve Milito
05-28-2014, 10:19 AM

I was told that it depends on whether you have an after-cooler or not.

Michael W. Clark
05-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Dave,
Usually the refrigerated dryers are there to remove moisture. I've only used the larger ones after screw compressors that had aftercoolers (water or air-cooled). Generally speaking, the higher your inlet temp to the dryer, the higher your dewpoint in the air on the outlet of the dryer.

I have a smaller compressor at home. The outlet between the compressor and tank is so hot you can't touch it. However, the tank is usually cool/ambient.

Mike