PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening with Waterstones....

Dave Winters
05-26-2014, 5:46 PM
I love my waterstones,but I have always had trouble honing the backs of chisels an plane irons on the 8,000 grit. I use a Nagura stone to create a slurry, but still I get a strong suction which makes it really hard to move the blade. Now, one thing that just occurred to me is that I don't store the stone in water like I do my 800 and 1200 stones. Should I maybe let it soak for a while just before using it? Any other tips or tricks?
Thanks in advance!
Dave

Andrew Hughes
05-26-2014, 6:14 PM
Okay guys I got this one everyone relax,Dave your not alone I have the same issue try pressure closer to the edge to polish a smaller area.Dont spend too much time on the back unless your preparing a new blade then use the stick method hold the stick in one hand across the top of the blade pressing down with the end.Make sense?

Jim Matthews
05-26-2014, 7:43 PM
Andrew, at this size particle - is the OP dealing with two flat surfaces that are closer than the minimum sphere described by surface tension of water?

Capillary action is potent stuff, and if the two surfaces closely approximate a plane - it should be strong enough to lift the stone off the bench.
Is it really necessary to flatten a plane iron to so fine a finish?

David Weaver
05-26-2014, 8:40 PM
Enough water and short strokes. Keep your strokes to 2 inches or so, keep only about an inch of the edge on the stone and advance each stroke up the stone about a quarter of an inch. You should never get stiction that way. It will seem counter to progress making those short strokes, but you will find they work pretty quickly.

Winton Applegate
05-26-2014, 10:34 PM
Yep . . .
lots of water, rinse often, (I can see how short strokes then move to a clean patch could be good) I go the length of the stone and as much of the back as I can fit across the stone unless I have the jig on there then as much as sticks out past the jig but that is AFTER I have already polished the back to "perfection" ish . . .
the first time.

Keep the Nagura stone for erasing build up of metal off the stone. Then rinse off the slurry.
I know what all the text out there says but FORGET ABOUT USING SLURRY TO TRY TO SHARPEN WITH.
Unless you like rubbing your blade around on roley poley ball bearing like stuff and getting nothing much out of it and it acting like glue when using the ultra fine stones on a wide surface. Not worth a pair of fetid dingo's kidneys.

Should I maybe let it soak for a while just before using it?

Not usually with that fine a stone. Also depends on the stone. First see the manufacturers recommendations.
On my Norton 8000 USA I got it pretty wet (ran it under the faucet front and back) but did not submerge it or keep it in water. The 4000 was constantly stored in fresh tap water in a Tupperware with a lid. As long as I used the lid it NEVER got slimy.

My Shapton 8000 I use even less water and never submerge or store in water.

Adam Cruea
05-27-2014, 7:20 AM
I know what all the text out there says but FORGET ABOUT USING SLURRY TO TRY TO SHARPEN WITH.

This. Definitely this.

Rinse, sharpen, repeat. If your blade starts sticking, rinse off the stone and get the slurry off of it.

However: If your blade is sticking to the stone, chances are it's flat enough. Like Winton, I just flip over my hone and run the back of the blade over the stone; this knocks off any nasty wire edge that might have formed since you're running the "wire" narrow-side along the stone (so instead of like this > -- < like this > | <).