PDA

View Full Version : How to make it rust?

Moses Yoder
05-26-2014, 3:37 PM
My block & tackle evidently was missing a cotter pin on the end of a pin that held the top pulleys in place. It fell apart while I was moving it around to photograph, bearings all over the place. I can get the right size cotter pin and put it back together, I just need to know how to make the cotter pin rust so it will blend in with the other pieces. Spray with salt water and set outside?

Andrew Fleck
05-26-2014, 4:16 PM
Salt water would be my first guess.

Judson Green
05-26-2014, 4:18 PM
I kinda blackened hardware using white oak shavings and water, not real soupy, just very damp. I did it in a bucket over a few days, you could use a plastic bag. I've heard of folks peeing on hardware to aid in rusting. Maybe the shavings and urine would work best, tannins and ammonia.

Harlan Barnhart
05-26-2014, 4:57 PM
Strip the galvanization off with a hour or two in lemon juice or white vinegar. Wet it and let sit overnight.

Jerry Thompson
05-26-2014, 7:52 PM
If it were mine I would put in with my hand planes.:)

Shawn Pixley
05-26-2014, 9:38 PM
Salt water or vinegar

Winton Applegate
05-26-2014, 10:59 PM
I have never tried the lemon etc., but if you have drive way cleaner that is muriatic acid, can get by the gallon at Home Depot, then that may take off the galvanizing. I know it will take the mill scale off a sheet of hot rolled steel and that stuff is way more tenacious than a little zinc.
Then
let the dog pee on it.
I know the dogs can get the spokes on my wire wheels to rust right through the chrome.
Don't fool around; take it to an expert for the final peeetina (the dog).

Winton Applegate
05-26-2014, 11:32 PM
A couple of metal finishing experts
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy298/noydb1/IMG_0466_zps3384d32e.jpg (http://s801.photobucket.com/user/noydb1/media/IMG_0466_zps3384d32e.jpg.html)

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy298/noydb1/IMG_0004_zpse144a847.jpg (http://s801.photobucket.com/user/noydb1/media/IMG_0004_zpse144a847.jpg.html)

A thought or two :
submerging the metal in water and salt or what have you will do nothing UNTIL you take it out and the air hits it.
After all what you want is the metal to OXIDIZE so you need oxygen right ?

Heat will speed this up so you may be better off warming the steel with a heat gun and brushing on the what ever you choose to brush on, then heating it some more.

Yum ! Out in the drive way making hot steaming clouds of dog pee with her hair dryer.

Your wife will have the guys in white coats come get you for sure.

ha, ha, ha, aaah, ha, ha, ha,

Zach Dillinger
05-27-2014, 8:08 AM
Strip the galvanization off with a hour or two in lemon juice or white vinegar. Wet it and let sit overnight.

This should work. You can also burn off the galvanization with a torch but do it outside and do not breathe the fumes. They are quite bad for you. Once the coating is gone, you can accelerate the rusting process by obtaining muriatic acid from the Borg and placing a small open container of said acid in a box with your cotter pin. Do not do this inside your shop or anywhere else where there are pieces of metal that you don't want rusty. The pin will be rusty in very short order.

Winton Applegate
05-27-2014, 12:35 PM
Thread (http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/showthread.php?28140-Removing-Zinc-Coating)

For only $3500.00 at ACE. Yep, if it weren’t so true it would be funny.

Another thread (http://www.artmetal.com/blog/bob_turan/2009/04/rust_promoter)

Or, chemically and technically speaking . . . dog pee

PS: I like the signature : Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
PPS: (so to speak) at the metal sculpture places I have worked at usually the patina what ever it was for (bronze or steel and many color variations, was sprayed on in a hooded exhaust area with an up draft and heated with a torch up to the size of a weed burner tip). (More accurately the metal was heated and then the patina was sprayed on) some such, I wasn't into learning this and was so busy I never took the time to learn it. The owners always applied the patinas and so didn't want to share the "secrets" any way and didn't want to pay me to stand around and watch THEM work.

Ha, ha.

george wilson
05-27-2014, 1:13 PM
Winton,that is one lazy lookin hound dog!!!:)

Moses Yoder
05-27-2014, 7:08 PM
Okay, just to make sure we are on the same page. Since I don't really want to spend any money on this I can strip the galvanized coating off with a few hours in vinegar. Next step, wait until the pee pot we call Vesper has guzzled all the water she wants to then sit down and drink a large cup of coffee. By the time the cup is empty Vesper will be crossing her legs and whining while staring at me. I let her out the back door while running after her like a mad man into the dog yard and as soon as she squats to pee throw the cotter pin in the resulting puddle. Mark the spot and let the dog back in, after a few hours retrieve the pin and set in some safe spot outdoors where it can rust. Sounds reasonable.

Judson Green
05-27-2014, 8:16 PM
Anything special about dog pee? Couldn't you just use our own? Usually easier to control where it goes.

Winton Applegate
05-28-2014, 11:21 PM
Oh that’s Charlie
Lazy ?
Naw he’s a hard working ranch dog. He’s just taking a brief respite before getting back in the truck to take care of the herds.

No really . . . see (http://thepioneerwoman.com/blog/2013/02/charlie-working/)

He's even famous enough to have a book written about him. (http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Ranch-Dog-Ree-Drummond/dp/0061996556/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y)

He lives here (http://thepioneerwoman.com)

Queenmasteroftheuniverseandbabybunnytrainer follows this site from time to time and keeps me up to date on the important things . . . the dogs.

Winton Applegate
05-28-2014, 11:33 PM
Moses,

Oh my gosh ! What have I done ! ? I just saw your post "signature".
With the photo it is very BIZARRE. (I like it).

any thing special about dog P ?

They seem to thinks so. They are always leaving free samples.

Winton Applegate
05-29-2014, 12:09 AM
Oh yah
and
Charlie can fly
just like Superman or Underdog. In fact Charlie is so low to the ground he is Ultra Under Dog

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy298/noydb1/4907058187_463feb1554_z_zpsfd7e9122.jpg (http://s801.photobucket.com/user/noydb1/media/4907058187_463feb1554_z_zpsfd7e9122.jpg.html)

Here (http://thepioneerwoman.com/blog/2010/08/mass-hysteria/)
But flying really takes its toll on his energy reserves hence the extra heavy duty industrial strength resting position.
It's kind of like Dog Tai Chi which is performed in extra slow motion. They are moving the whole time . . . but so slowly the human eye can not detect it.

McKay Sleight
05-29-2014, 10:44 AM
I often need rusty screws to go w/the rusty hinge look. Muratic acid will rust it in about 3 min. Any longer and you will not have a cotter pin left. I usually do 50 screws and wait no more than 5 min. I then have a collection of nice patina rust.

Moses Yoder
05-29-2014, 7:52 PM
I often need rusty screws to go w/the rusty hinge look. Muratic acid will rust it in about 3 min. Any longer and you will not have a cotter pin left. I usually do 50 screws and wait no more than 5 min. I then have a collection of nice patina rust.

One response says to put some of the muriatic acid in a container and put it in a box with the cotter pin. Is this what you do? I am thinking of experimenting with the acid on one pin and urine on the other. This is the first time ever I am intentionally making something rust.

Greg A Jones
05-29-2014, 8:10 PM
Trappers must rust new traps. Here is a forum discussion on the matter. http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4033485/Rusting_Traps_How_to

Jesse Busenitz
05-30-2014, 7:32 PM
+1 on burning the galvanized... Least that's what I do to get rid of the shiny look. Leaves a dull dark finish.

David M Anderson
05-31-2014, 1:33 AM
Use electrolysis, just put you cotter pin on the negative side and a rusty bolt or part on the positive.
You wont have to collect any urine...

Winton Applegate
05-31-2014, 3:29 AM
electrolysis

Well yah . . . if you want to do it the easy way.
Where's the fun in that ? I mean . . . don't you want to see a video of Moses chasing Vesper the pee pot around the dog yard ?

We're doing it "The Cowboy Way".

Robert McNaull
05-31-2014, 10:04 AM
This thread is at least providing me entertainment.

Moses Yoder
06-01-2014, 9:10 AM
Yesterday I bought the cotter pins, a bag of them for 70 cents or whatever, 1/8" x 1". I decided not to spend the $3.49 on muriatic acid, that would be half of my spare change for this week; I would not have any money left over for Dr Pepper. I put them in an empty tomato sauce can and put in about an inch of white vinegar. They set in it overnight as I did other stuff. This morning I made a hook on the end of a wire. I emptied the vinegar and rinsed the pins and can with water. The pins are now a dull gray color, not the shiny zinc. I threaded them onto the wire and urinated a couple inches into the can in the house bathroom before my wife was up to ask questions. I submerged the pins in the urine and took them out in the shop. There I withdrew the wire with the pins and suspended it across the top of the can; I figure the pins can hang above the urine as it evaporates where the fumes will make the pins rust faster. I am going out now to bend the pins open a little so the inside of the legs will rust too, I forgot to do that earlier.

Kees Heiden
06-01-2014, 9:23 AM
Don't forget to wash your hands.

Moses Yoder
06-01-2014, 1:30 PM
The pins are nicely rusted right now, I have three of them, except for right at the top where the liquid just runs off I guess. I dipped them again and set them on some newspaper on my bench top. Hard to tell how well the rust sticks on though. It will probably be a week before I get to the assembly, they should be well rusted by then.

Winton Applegate
06-01-2014, 1:49 PM
Moses,

They set over night as I did other stuff.
Wow you stayed up all night doing stuff and still got up before your wife. You are industrious, I will give you that.
You went in the can in the house and THEN went to to the shop. That’s different. When I was a kid growing up Dad had a pan with a handle hanging on the wall of the shop. If you were in the middle of something or too dirty , or couldn’t make the trek to the house in time you just used that (inside the shop) and dumped it in the grass. Big yard in town.

Queenmasteroftheuniverseandbabybunnytrainer says you should have drank the Dr. Pepper BEFORE the trip to your laboratory (or as the laymen call it the lavatory).
In fact, being the pro artist that she is, for an endeavor of this magnitude, she recommends taking a week or two or even better, she says, a month and do a color study. You know like when you go to get house paint they have all the color swatches of light green or what ever . . .
wow . . . I never realized there could ever be so many variations on white . . .
. . .
or that any one would care to look at that many variations of white . . .
can’t you just hear the “finicky” customer who says “Yah well if you guys would have had the shade between this oat meal with hint of honey and this oat meal with hint of dandelion IN STOCK, . . . no I can’t wait around while you mix it, I have things to do today . . .
. . . well I would have bought ALL my house paint here but that’s a deal breaker . . .
GOOD BY “!

ha, ha, ha, two hundred shades of white . . .
. . . where was I ? . . . oh yah . . .

Queenmasteroftheuniverseandbabybunnytrainer says to get a few bottles of each of the dark colored pops (she calls ‘em sodas) and several long play lists (recorded on tape or MP3) of jazz, she finds jazz , especially Chet Baker and those guys, to be particularly conducive to her artistic endeavors . . .

then . . . to skip over the tedious drivel (or dribble) make up samples . . . color swatches if you will . . . of each pop after it has been properly prepared by your constitution and then applied to galvanized/UNgalvanized steel. Don’t forget to label them so you can identify the finalists and winner.

You may have hit on it . . . Dr. Pepper could be the one . . . or Pepsi . . . or depending on the light where you live RC could provide the most advantageous hue.
Be careful who observes you during these artistic endeavors. It may be advantageous to rent an “art studio” on the other side of town where no body knows you. Not every one appreciates the intricacies of "THE ARTISTIC PROCESS". I mean how would it look . . . sitting around all day for weeks, drinking sodas and listening to disreputable music. Your only apparent activity the occasional trip to the men’s room (laboratory) where you spend inordinate amounts of time . . . not exactly a reputation enhancer.

OH my gosh . . . I almost forgot one critical ingredient to this whole color study, swatch making business . . . she would have been appalled that I could forget THAT since some of our best times when we first met were there . . .
this is a must now . . .

go to Santa Fe, New Mexico. Spend at least a few days wondering around and look at the light, especially the evening light and view the art and eat at the restaurants, especially the Pink Adobe Cafe and The Coyote Cafe.

While in Santa Fe be sure to take time to do nothing in particular but sit and enjoy your self.

Preparation is at the heart of all truly artistic endeavors.

Winton Applegate
06-01-2014, 2:34 PM
right at the top where the liquid just runs off I guess.

That's where heating them and spraying and heating comes it. No chance to run off.
To fix the rust so it does not rub off easy you might consider using what is called . . .
are you ready ? . . .
. . . wait for it . . .
Fixative (http://www.amazon.com/Craft-Retayne-Color-Fixative-4-Ounce/dp/B000YZ5HL8/ref=sr_1_4?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1401647634&sr=1-4&keywords=fixatives).

Well that one is for fabric I just noticed. This one (http://www.amazon.com/Winsor-Daler-Rowney-Colourless-Fixative/dp/B0027IUSA0/ref=sr_1_30?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1401647832&sr=1-30&keywords=fixatives) for sure.

Comes in spray cans or, as I know you will appreciate (inexpensive, simple and above all EFFECTIVE), you can apply it with one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Art-Advantage-1650-Mouth-Atomizer/dp/B0027A5AT2/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1401647530&sr=8-26&keywords=atomizer).

Winton Applegate
06-01-2014, 3:02 PM
PPS:
Moses . . . of course you realize . . .
. . . you may very well have CREATED in your laboratory
theeeee single most virulent specimen of tetanus so far known to man.

You do realize that don't you ? And
all these people here are witnesses.

Yep this is how the mild mannered, industrious, scientist SUDDENLY tips over the precipice into the world of the sinister and often mad, (eventually) , wanted, hunted, found, unwanted, discarded, and finally chased away with a big stick . . .
menace to society that we all see FBI posters of when we stop in the post office.

. . . I'm just saying . . .

Moses Yoder
06-02-2014, 6:11 PM
Now you have really got me thinking of the possibilities. Say I started with a brand spanking new out of the box Lie Nielsen #8 jointer plane and applied the rusting process. Wouldn't she be a beauty?

Moses Yoder
06-02-2014, 6:12 PM
I would even spring for the fixative.

Winton Applegate
06-02-2014, 9:05 PM
Lie Nielsen #8 jointer plane and applied the rusting process. Wouldn't she be a beauty?

er . . .
. . . that is to say . . .

Anyway . . . Moses have you noticed any change in the way you appear when you look in the mirror ?
You seem to have developed a certain "glow" to your complexion.
Or am I seeing the divine light that is in us all ?

You haven't been partying again with those guys down the block who are visiting from some where in the direction of Ursa Minor ?
Have you ?
Just don't hang around any gasoline filling stations until we get this figured out.