PDA

View Full Version : Inhaling metal dust particles...

Reed Gray
05-26-2014, 2:58 PM
Well, in preparing for the Symposium, I got one of the Moffat lamps down from a shelf about 30 inches above my grinder. It is still in the box it came in. The box has the large 1/4 round ears that tuck into the sides to close it up. It was not taped shut. When I opened the box, the magnetic base inside had a circular ring around the magnet. This means fine metal dust is floating around when I sharpen. Does any one know if this creates any health issues. I haven't set off the metal things at the airport for any thing other than the titanium in my hips.

robo hippy

Ralph Lindberg
05-26-2014, 3:40 PM
Yes it can; eg the Navy wants people wearing full respiratory gear when grinding/chipping/etc and metals. Even un-coated, non-rusted, etc.

I put several rare-earth magnets around our CBN wheel to capture the metal coming off. They probably don't get all the metal, but they certainly get a lot.

ray hampton
05-26-2014, 5:45 PM
you need to stand to the side of the grinder and watch the sparks while someone else are grinding a piece of steel

Harry Robinette
05-27-2014, 8:36 PM
Yes Reed it's very bad for your lung's. I have COPD and I wear a 3M DustMaster all the time in the shop,Doc said that metal dust from the CBN wheels is just as bad as the stone dust from regular wheels.Everyone I say this to says the metal dust all falls down before it gets to you,I hung rare earth magnets at nose level right were I sharpen and filled the magnets till black after about 3 hours of turning and sharpening. All the dust does NOT FALL DOWN and that's all going in your lungs.

Bob Bergstrom
05-27-2014, 10:01 PM
I would speculate that you've been ingesting metal ever since you sharpen you first gouge. Probably quite a bit of wood fibers in those lungs also.:mad:

Len Mullin
05-27-2014, 11:56 PM
I can't imagine using a grinder without wearing a respirator, or, at least a dust mask.
Len