PDA

View Full Version : Cut CDs

Steven Warwick
05-26-2014, 10:21 AM
I was wondering if anyone ever cut CDs. I think they would be a pretty cool medium for jewelry and ornaments but am not sure about what they are made out of.

Henri Sallinen
05-26-2014, 10:47 AM
This is what I found googling around:

A compact disc is a deceptively simple looking device considering the technology required to make it. CDs consist of three layers of materials:

A base layer made of a polycarbonate plastic.
A thin layer of aluminum coating over the polycarbonate plastic.
A clear protective acrylic coating over the aluminum layer.

Some manufacturers use a silver or even gold layer instead of the aluminum layer in the manufacture of their compact discs.

David Somers
05-26-2014, 1:46 PM
Steven,

I was digging around on the forum this morning over coffee and did a search on this
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?82117-Laser-Cutting-CDs-and-Laser-Discs is a discussion on the topic. Post 13 directly address what you were asking about.

Seems like it is doable. There was also a discussion about engraving a CD which was the main topic of that thread.

Hope that helps a bit!

Dave

Clark Pace
05-26-2014, 10:00 PM
I think cd's are partly made from poly carb plastic which does not cut well.

Tim Bateson
05-26-2014, 10:26 PM
I've cut a few... just to see if I could. Although I never found a practical use, but I'm sure a creative mind could find a use.

John Bion
05-27-2014, 3:22 AM
I've cut a few... just to see if I could. Although I never found a practical use, but I'm sure a creative mind could find a use.
My children cut some for dolls’ house mirrors - nicely finished in little wooden frames...children astound me with creativeness sometimes :)

Bill George
05-27-2014, 8:32 AM
Ear rings or fishing lures? Both would be nice and flashy.

David Somers
05-27-2014, 10:36 AM
Bill,

Is there a difference? When I was a teenager I had a girl friend who would go swimming with her ear rings on. If she went underwater and paused a little bit the sunnies would come up and nibble her ears. Gave me some fishing ideas that I had enough sense not to try and act on. <grin>

Dave

William Adams
05-27-2014, 10:49 AM
Here're some people in Poland cutting up CDs to make insect models:

cnc. info .pl/topics68/mucha-vt14889

Steven Warwick
05-28-2014, 11:14 PM
Thanks folks, I'm always on the lookout for repurposed media to try. Pinterest is a treasure chest of ideas, but I think I'll pass on the LP records I've seen cut. (Thats what gave me the idea for CDs)