PDA

View Full Version : I need to spray- STAT!

Dave Zellers
05-25-2014, 7:26 PM
I have some experience with spraying finishes with acceptable results but today I experienced the 'undersized compressor' problem.

My first thought was to buy a bigger compressor but now I'm thinking something like an Earlex would be smarter. I'll be spraying everything from urethane to latex paint.

Looking for advice from experienced users. My focus is on quality within reason. $500 - $600 would be acceptable.

bob cohen
05-25-2014, 8:01 PM
Love my apollo 4-stage. Originally got the 3-stage unit, but it would not handle latex paint, even with dilution. I know lots of people are happy with their Earlex's, but its hard for me to believe they can handle latex paint, when the apollo three stage could not. The apollo's specs are better in every category.

Dave Zellers
05-25-2014, 8:06 PM
Thank you, Googling Apollo....

Dave Zellers
05-25-2014, 8:09 PM
Yikes! That's double my price range...

...but does not rule it out.

Spraying latex is a big part of this.

Thanks.

Gilbert Vega
05-25-2014, 8:14 PM
I have the Earlex HV5500 and have used it to spray latex without any problems. I used it to paint a fireplace mantel I made up for the living room.

Dave Zellers
05-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Yeah, this is going to be a tough decision. I've always heard good things about Earlex.

Jason Roehl
05-26-2014, 7:43 AM
If you want to spray latexes, I would recommend getting a pressure pot setup that's hooked to a compressor. I think it's much more reliable in terms of fluid delivery to the tip, rather than relying on the siphon action with solely a turbine.

Curt Harms
05-26-2014, 11:12 AM
If you want to spray latexes, I would recommend getting a pressure pot setup that's hooked to a compressor. I think it's much more reliable in terms of fluid delivery to the tip, rather than relying on the siphon action with solely a turbine.

The cup on Earlex is pressurized though not by much, 2 p.s.i. or so? I think that's part of what makes it capable of spraying 'latex'. I've done acrylics a fair bit and while I'm sure nobody will mistake it for an airless rig, it does seem to work okay. I used a combination of floetrol and distilled water to dilute the paint until it seemed to flow well off the stirring stick. I'd guess 5% or so total. The interior 'latex' when first applied looks okay but not great. It takes long enough to dry that it flows out pretty well though it's dry to the touch in 30 minutes or so in decent drying conditions. I had some acrylic enamel trim paint - don't have the can unfortunately - which sprayed really well. I used it on a louvered door over shellac sealer and it looked like I knew what I was doing:cool:. (Blind squirrels and acorns come to mind:p)

John TenEyck
05-26-2014, 2:50 PM
If you want to spray latex paint you should get an airless sprayer. You can get a pretty good one well within your $500 - $600 budget. This Grayco one, for example: http://www.cjspray.com/homeowner-sprayers/products/electric-airless-sprayers/graco-x5-magnum-sprayer-262800.html With an airless you don't have to thin the paint so you greatly reduce the risk of runs and you don't need to apply as many coats.

John

Frederick Rowe
06-03-2014, 7:12 AM
I have some experience with spraying finishes with acceptable results but today I experienced the 'undersized compressor' problem.

My first thought was to buy a bigger compressor but now I'm thinking something like an Earlex would be smarter. I'll be spraying everything from urethane to latex paint.

Looking for advice from experienced users. My focus is on quality within reason. $500 - $600 would be acceptable.

What size is your compressor - how many CFM? To keep at your price point you may want to consider a low CFM HVLP spray gun or LVLP spray gun. Latex can be a challenge with an HVLP, but there are better alternatives for spraying.

Steve Schoene
06-03-2014, 10:06 AM
I agree that paint store or big box "latex" or acyrlic paints are not the best alternatives for spraying. There are plenty of waterborne finishes, typically able to match any color from other makers, that are designed for spray application with lower viscosity and quick drying times. Products from Target, General Finishes, as well as Sherwin Williams commercial and others are worth seeking out.