PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing :.... 1.28 and 1.00 GPF Toilets ???

Clarence Martin
05-25-2014, 5:58 PM
How in the heck can they possibly work ???

george wilson
05-25-2014, 6:16 PM
They might work,but I have heard from a plumber that they do not have enough of a flush to get the material all the way to the sewage system or septic tank. You might want to flush twice.

Phil Thien
05-25-2014, 8:29 PM
They might work,but I have heard from a plumber that they do not have enough of a flush to get the material all the way to the sewage system or septic tank. You might want to flush twice.

Yep!

But, the tanks on many (most? all?) of these conservation toilets hold substantially more water and you can hold the flush lever down to empty the tank into the bowl. Holding the flush lever is better than a double flush because more water actually makes it down the stack, much more forcefully.

Mike Cutler
05-25-2014, 9:02 PM

Not well, especially if they're retrofitted. If the fixture length is too long, you're going to have trouble on a remodel.
I have "an old toilet"in the garage loft if I ever need it for our upstairs toilet. It has about an 8' run to the wall it runs down. Our downstairs toilet is a low volume toilet, but it's only got a 4' run to the main soil stack, with lots of slope.;)
I sold an old one at the dump 2 years ago when I went to get rid of it. I offered to give it to the guy that wanted it, but he insisted on giving me $10.00 for it.

It is pretty stupid that were trying to limit water use by decreasing the inventory in a toilet tank!

Phil
I think refilling the tank should work better, at least in theory. There is an increase in the column of head, and the total force, in water weight, is greater. Of course this depends on toilet design.

Brian Kent
05-25-2014, 9:20 PM
I have replaced mine with 1.28 gpf for years and have never had a problem in my pipes.

Phil Thien
05-25-2014, 9:38 PM
Phil
I think refilling the tank should work better, at least in theory. There is an increase in the column of head, and the total force, in water weight, is greater. Of course this depends on toilet design.

Holding the flush valve on the toilets I've tried gives you a power flush, whereas just pressing and releasing gives you a "ladies" flush. 2x ladies flushes does not equal a power flush.

But you're right, different toilet designs would be, well, different. I've only tried American Standard and Kohler models.

Mel Fulks
05-25-2014, 10:14 PM
There are ratings on these things, people who buy the best ones have no problems. Yeah, the ones that came on the market after the mandate were lousy.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-26-2014, 12:22 AM
For the longest while I wasn't a fan of low flush volume toilets. Too many times staying in motels, I would have problems with an incomplete flush.

One of our sons had a home with them and they had to flush twice to get a clean flush.

Eventually one of our toilet broke and it couldn't be fixed. In talking with a friend, he indicated he'd replaced one with a low volume flush and was quite pleased with it. He stated when he researched it, he looked for the one with the largest opening that connected to the pipes. When I researched my replacement toilet I researched on that information and the size of the tank discharge hole into the chamber.

I bought an American Standard replacement and have been quite happy with it for years now. In fact, when the toilet in the basement bathroom broke, I replaced it with another low volume flush toilet. I haven't had any problems.

Most manufacturers have figured out the problems now, I believe.

Lee Schierer
05-26-2014, 7:44 AM
When I remodeled our bathroom 10 years ago we bought a Kohler 1.2 gpf toilet and it has worked as well or better than the old model that preceded it. It has never clogged and even though the line to our septic has minimal slope, we've not had a problem with the line clogging.

Brian Elfert
05-26-2014, 9:54 AM
I had Kohler low GPF toilets in the house I just sold. They worked great. The house was built in 2001 so plumbing was up to code. The master bath toilet did plug bad twice, but it appears to have been caused by a manufacturing defect that left a burr at the outlet. I actually had to remove the toilet twice to unclog toilet paper at the outlet.

David G Baker
05-26-2014, 11:05 AM
I have a low volume toilet that sounds like a rocket going off when it flushes. The engineering is there but you have to shop and get recommendations from people that have found the right toilit to fit your needs. I have not seen the American Standard toilit work that claims that it will flush a bowl full of golf balls. This toilet may be good to research.

Mel Fulks
05-26-2014, 11:22 AM
David, I would check with a doctor before doing that golf ball research!

Ed Aumiller
05-26-2014, 8:27 PM
Put two of the "golf ball" toilets in my sons house when we built it 7 years ago... works great.. never had a problem..
Two years ago, replaced both my toilets with same thing & no trouble either..
But they take a little less than 1.6 gallons/flush ... not 1 or 1.2...

David G Baker
05-26-2014, 8:55 PM
Mel, I called my Dr. this morning and he said that it was okay for me to swallow all the golf balls as long as I took them with MiraLAX and kept the number under ten. :p

Myk Rian
05-26-2014, 9:12 PM
Regular flush for pee pee.
Hold the handle for poo poo.

Rich Engelhardt
05-27-2014, 5:07 PM
How in the heck can they possibly work ???Simple - you just keep a half gallon or larger plastic pitcher on top of the toilet.
You fill the pitcher, the dump it in the bowl as you flush. Then repeat.

How in the name of all that's holy they even begin to call these four flush water wasters "water savers" is just more .gov double talk.