PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Done... Took the Delta for a spin.....

Corey Hallagan
06-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Nice to have the work all done. The panel looks great :) and works great....so far. He hooked me up good on outlets in the garage.. No drop cords!!

Plugged in the the new Delta contractors saw tonight. I like it... I like it alot!! :) I do know I have to do something about the splitter as I can't get it adjusted any better and it is far enough off that the the leading edge of the curf hangs up on the splitter. I ripped some oak and it was going great until it hung up. I also cross cut some oak and the cut is nice. I am using a Dewalt Wood Working series 50 tooth combo blade and the finish is real nice. So much better than my old craftsman blades on the craftsman saw. I also really like the Incra Miter 1000SE. I cut a 45 miter on a 4 sided frame and it was perfect. No more miters for fine work on the chop saw. Going to use the table saw from now on!

I appreciate all the help you guys have given me here. I don't know what I would have done without your input. I think I will try one more time to line of the splitter and guard, otherwise, I am done with it.

Corey

Norman Hitt
06-27-2005, 10:31 PM
Hey Cory, that's Great. I was just sitting here thinking about your project and was about to post a msg to you saying, "Are We Making Sawdust Yet. Keep trying on the splitter adjustment, but some of them can be a real problem, We literally set and reset, and even rebent the metal on one on my buddy's Rigid saw, but everytime we took it off for a Dado cut or something, when we put it back on, it was the same old readjustment thing over again. Unfortunately, we finally gave up and laid the Blade/splitter on a bench and it hasn't been back on since. We've decided to make a zci with a splitter in it and build an overhead guard to take care of the problem. In the meantime, we're being VERY careful when using the saw.

Again, glad to hear you're up and Running again in your shop. Have Fun and make lotsa Sawdust.

Michael Gabbay
06-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Corey -

Great news about the electric. It's the simple things in life! :)

Is your splitter sitting too far to the right or the left? You know there are two bolts on the back of the table to adjust the back half of the splitter. Also I think the bolt that sits inside the throat can also be adjusted. I aligned mine the other night but I only had to do the rear bolts. Double check the manual I think the instructions are there.

Mike

Corey Hallagan
06-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys, I am going to give it another shot. Norman, I know one thing that craftsman splitter and blade guard was always on target and when I removed it, it went back on the same it came off. Go figure.... the rest was junk... but I wish I had those CI Wings!

Mike, it sits to far to the left. Yes, it is difficult to get lined up as the one on the inside you have to remove the blade and it is tough to line it up with the blade out and then put it back on to check.... naturally about 3 different wrench sizes between the back adjustments and the inside the throat adjustments. I will try her again!

Corey

Lee DeRaud
06-27-2005, 11:02 PM
Yes, it is difficult to get lined up as the one on the inside you have to remove the blade and it is tough to line it up with the blade out and then put it back on to check...Can you use a chipper from a dado set as an "alignment blade"? You might be able to rotate it out of the way enough to get at the bolts without removing it.

Corey Hallagan
06-27-2005, 11:09 PM
Lee that is an idea!
Thanks,

Corey

Alan Tolchinsky
06-27-2005, 11:15 PM
Corey, That's great news about your electric. About the splitter, I would get the Delta removable splitter for $30. It removes in about 2 seconds and I've never had an alignment problem with it. With this splitter you won't see it laying on your bench; it will be protecting you instead. I have a Delta CS also and I love it.

Roy Wall
06-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Corey,

Great news that you're back in action in the shop!!.......SO, you like that Incra jig :) - sounds like a good investment. I need to make a bunch of picture frames!!! Do they have several models.....what's your take on it??

Glad you love the TS - good deal!!

Corey Hallagan
06-27-2005, 11:56 PM
Roy, they do have several models available. Mine is the 1000SE. They sell the V27 which is about $60.00 I think and it has a good protractor base on it and I think you supply the fence. I think Scott Spencer uses one and likes it. Then the 1000 which has a shorter fence and I don't think it has the flip stops on it like the SE does. And then there are several higher or more costly models. I got the 1000SE for about 129.00. Kreg makes one for about the same money that alot like as well. I know that it makes a noticeably different cut that with the standard guage. I highly reccomend that and a good crosscut or combo blade.
Corey

Norman Hitt
06-28-2005, 1:01 AM
Thanks guys, I am going to give it another shot. Norman, I know one thing that craftsman splitter and blade guard was always on target and when I removed it, it went back on the same it came off. Go figure.... the rest was junk... but I wish I had those CI Wings!

Corey

Cory, I know what you mean about the Wings. My Friend's Rigid has the stamped steel wings, (very uneven), and we're thinking about removing them and making extension wings like the extension table I made for my PM-66 on the right side, made with 1 1/2" deep oak frame with a 3/4" MDF top with formica laminated on both top and bottom faces and edges, and it is just as flat as a cast iron top and very solid. I think it will make a world of difference on his Rigid also.

I hope the splitter part of your blade guard is made from harder material than the one I mentioned on the Rigid, as that is the main problem that it is just too light weight/soft metal, and if you just Breathe on it, it is out of alignment.

Good Luck.