PDA

View Full Version : Sassafrass

Dustin English
05-25-2014, 12:13 PM
I recently removed a sassafrass tree from my yard and decided to use it to make a few blanks. Since I'm new to turning I wondering if anyone knows if it's difficult to turn? Should I turn it green or dry?

Dale Winburn
05-25-2014, 12:42 PM
A friend gave me some sassafrass several months ago. It's nice to turn, I turned it green and sealed it with anchorseal. I've finished one bowl and it turned out nice.

Dale Miner
05-25-2014, 12:54 PM
I recently removed a sassafrass tree from my yard and decided to use it to make a few blanks. Since I'm new to turning I wondering if anyone knows if it's difficult to turn? Should I turn it green or dry?

It turns well, either to completion green or twice turned. Makes the shop smell wonderful. Suck up a few wet shavings in your vacuum and for the next week or so everytime the vacuum is used the shop gets a shot of sassafrass fragrance.

A couple of notes:

Make the best tool work as possible. It doesn't take much sanding to washboard the early/late wood areas.

Some people get respitory difficulty from sassafrass, and the wet sap can cause an ivy like blistering if it remains on the skin for extended periods.

Frank Drew
05-29-2014, 5:05 PM
A friend sent me an offcut about an inch and a half thick that was big enough to turn a 16-17" platter. I like the wood, it has the ring-porous look roughly similar to ash, chestnut, etc., and turned without difficulty.

Chip Sutherland
05-29-2014, 11:02 PM
I have turned a good amount. It is not hard to turn but can be prone to end grain tear-out but resolved with the usual techniques. I turned it wet and dry. Wet is easier but a whole lot more odorific. Not sure I enjoyed the smell all that much and it chased my wife out of the house one afternoon. There are open pore rings that give it character which take a liming treatment well. I had a couple of pieces with some interesting chatoyance which I think is just stress from growing in the east Texas climate. The pieces I didn't sell have all darkened with age to a dark olive-brown color.