PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat (Chestnut Oak Burl)

Dale Winburn
05-25-2014, 12:12 PM
About 10 days back, I called regarding a white oak burl listed on GraigsList. The person told me he had three white oak burls and three chestnut oak burls, the three chestnut oak burls were all on the same tree.

Last Sunday (5.18.14) I purchased all six burls. I brought home the three white oak burls, two were small, the other about 24" across.

Yesterday I picked up the three Chestnut Oak burls, must be 1200 to 1500 pounds, a big load on my pick-up. The two largest measure about 48" across. I had to cut them into several pieces to load them.

It has some very nice figure. I'm looking forward to working with it, will have to decide what to make as I cut it into blanks.
Should make some nice bowls, pepper mills, chalices, vases and many other items including natural edge items.

John Keeton
05-25-2014, 1:30 PM
That is going to produce some beautiful work!

Bob Bergstrom
05-25-2014, 3:11 PM
Looks like your going to have some real fun! Hope to see some beautiful wood when they are turned.

Roger Chandler
05-25-2014, 5:51 PM
Wonderful acquisition Dale! Knowing of your talent on a personal basis, I know that you will do those justice............man, I look forward to seeing some turnings from these at the WoVa meeting!!!

charlie knighton
05-26-2014, 7:28 AM
envy....good pickup.....I need to check craig list

Pat Scott
05-26-2014, 1:06 PM
Nice! How'd you get them into your pickup?

Dale Winburn
05-26-2014, 2:22 PM
Nice! How'd you get them into your pickup?

Pat, A couple of years ago I built a hoist for my pick-up, you can see it in the photos. It will pick up 500 to 600 pounds, it rotates so I can swing the load into the pick-up. I did have to use the lower of the two gears to lift the two largest burls.

Dale Winburn
05-26-2014, 3:57 PM
envy....good pickup.....I need to check craig list

Charlie, a red oak burl is listed on CraigsList in Lynchburg for $200, might be a little high, I got one last year on CraigsList for $100, it was larger than the one listed here. It was some of the most beautiful wood I've ever worked with.

charlie knighton
05-26-2014, 7:02 PM
thanks Dale, I also saw 6 x 16 maple burl for $75.......still looking for someone who does not want it to go to waste

charlie knighton
05-26-2014, 9:16 PM
Dale do you know my uncle Roddy? he lives outside Culpeper

Dale Winburn
05-27-2014, 11:48 AM
Dale do you know my uncle Roddy? he lives outside Culpeper

Charlie, don't think I know your uncle Roddy, is he a wood turner? I live about 10miles west of Culpeper off 522.

Joseph Hawkins
05-27-2014, 4:23 PM
Do you cut the burls into blanks and let them dry that way or let it dry whole? I randomly found a ok sized cherry burl in a burn pile and cut it off, covered the exposed wood with wax. Saw where it will take years to dry that way. I'm in the process of getting into turning, been trying to find a decent lathe on craigslist but haven't yet so I'll have time before i would ever get to use the burl anyways but figured I'd ask.

Pat Scott
05-27-2014, 4:59 PM
Oh duh! I was so focused on the big burls that I completely missed the hoist in not one, but both pictures!

charlie knighton
05-28-2014, 9:53 AM
Roddy is not a woodturner, lives north of Culpeper, has one of those log houses he mainly built himself

Dok Yager
05-28-2014, 9:43 PM
Great acquisition! Those should produce some stunning work! And I`m Uber jealous! Nothing like that in this neck of the woods.