PDA

View Full Version : Garden Cart (two bicycle wheeled wheelbarrow) - Should I build one?

Ken Frohnert
05-25-2014, 11:19 AM
I am thinking about a garden cart. There is a used one for sale locally for $75. It is in okay shape and would give me the hardware. I believe it is 1/2 plywood.

Or should I try and build one. I thought I could get an old bicycle for the tires. But I would need to get an axle, angle iron, and tubing.
I was thinking if I built one using 3/4 plywood. But I could buy the used one and eventually rebuild it if when it fell apart and I would have the parts and a model to work off of - may work for years as it is.

Do any of you own one and if so did you build it or buy it? What would you do if you were to do it over again?

If you built it where did you get the parts?

Are there good plans to build one that are not to difficult I am a beginner-intermediate level woodworker?

To build or buy that is the question?

Thanks

Jamie Buxton
05-25-2014, 11:56 AM
Where is the cart going to live when it is not being used? If the answer is that it will be outside in the weather, I'd buy a plastic one. It'll stand weather better than a wooden one. If you have sheltered storage for the cart, then wood would be okay.

Dan Rude
05-25-2014, 12:05 PM
Interesting, I am going to build one too. Looking for a decent set of plans. So far I have salvaged wheels from a cart, they are the solid rubber ones about 20" with axle if I ever find it again. My wife never checks tire pressure. (but she let me buy a Sawstop 3hp PCS :D) Yesterday I picked up 3 8' lengths of 1.5" stainless steel corners from the Last Day sale at 7 Corners hardware. :( I have some old Pressure treated Plywood 3/4" Thick along with a sheet of Bath surround. I hate trying to scape dirt off of wood, or manure. Most plans I see use EMT 1/2" or 3/4" for the handles and supports. Then they make the front removable so you can dump it easily. If I design my own or borrow a design I will post. Now down to the shop to assemble the Sawstop and put in a 220 volt line. Have fun. Dan

Ken Frohnert
05-25-2014, 12:51 PM
Inside an equipment shed.

What is bath surround and how much does it run - manure +1. 5 horses here at home.

Dan Rude
05-25-2014, 1:26 PM
I am using this http://www.menards.com/main/paint/paneling-planking/paneling/plastic/plas-tex-reg-white-waterproof-interior-wall-panel/p-1497834-c-8173.htm with some exterior Loctite to laminate it to the wood. I have done some shelves with it, so I think it will work. Dan

Matt Day
05-25-2014, 1:47 PM
Sounds like the time, effort, and cost doesn't make it worthwhile to build if you can get a used one for $75.

I would buy the used one and fix it up when needed. But then again I have two kids under two and have very little free time to spend on things like this!

Dan Rude
05-25-2014, 2:16 PM
This site has plans http://www.provenwoodworking.com/utility-cart.html. Dan

johnny means
05-25-2014, 4:52 PM
Keep in mind bike wheels aren't caster wheels. Your unlikely to be able to just pop them off the bike and stick a bolt through them. It also takes a few specialty tools to disassemble a modern bikes rear hub.

David L Morse
05-25-2014, 8:40 PM
We've had one of these for about twenty years:
It usually lives in the barn but has spent plenty of time forgotten in the rain or snow. It's hauled horse manure, bricks, yard waste, tools, chicken manure, gravel, dirt, paving blocks, grandkids and almost anything else that will fit. It shows very little wear and functionally is as good as new. The only maintenance required is keeping the tires inflated.

Bradley Gray
05-26-2014, 7:58 AM
I made this cart about 10 years ago:

It is made mostly from red cedar with oak handles and hickory stay straps. The curved surface inside is faced with aluminum flashing which sits in a side rabbet on top of the slats. Originally equipped with wheelbarrow type wheels and quickly upgraded to the 24" harness cart wheels shown (note the extensions on the legs) We use it as a giant dust pan - holds lots.

Dan Rude
05-26-2014, 9:44 AM
Bradley, That sure is a nice looking cart. How did you curve the Hickory? Ken, I look forward to seeing what you will build. Something about building it yourself, will allow bragging rights. Dan

Bradley Gray
05-26-2014, 10:11 AM
Dan, I soaked the hickory strips for 30 minutes or so and used an old clothes iron to form them around the cart

Bob Venable
05-26-2014, 9:22 PM
If you just want the cart for your yard chores, I think you will do well to just buy the used one for a deal at $75.
I have had one for about 8 years.
I use it frequently, it lives outside, hauls a lot of heavy stuff, and it has held up well.
Mine is the large size with 26" wheels, and is made from 1/2" ply.
I was concerned that the ply may not be heavy enough, but it works fine even for gravel.
I paid way more than $75.
If you want the enjoyment of building one, that is different.
You can certainly build a nicer/more sturdy one, but I think you will be in it for a fair bit more money.