PDA

View Full Version : Sunday morning rust hunting/help ID

Judson Green
05-25-2014, 10:58 AM
Some good pickens this morning, but only came home with an arm full of saws.

2 Disston 7's one 28" rip in really good shape. The 26" crosscut is split nut and missing what should probably be a sunken medallion.

The 7's at the top, the mystery saw, Spear & Jackson at the bottom, and the D100 vertical.

A Disston D100 the plate is straight, but unfortunately very pitted. Handle is in very good shape.

A Spear & Jackson. Split nut, flush/sunken medallion. 23" rip. Probably should have left it for some one else. Plate is not straight and missing some of the backs of nuts.

290014 290018

And one maybe someone could help ID for me. A "W. W__on's". Etching says "extra refined/cast steel". Sunken medallion, split nut. 26" rip. Straight plate, very good shape. 2 teeth are broke clean off, 2 more are about half gone. I hope the teeth being broken off aren't an indication of the steel being too hard/brittle.

290015 290016 290017

Paid too much for the Spear & Jackson, $4, altogether spent $11.

Sam Beagle
05-25-2014, 5:02 PM
I can't answer your question, but I had my best day ever as a flea market patron, I went to an old favorite booth of mine and the guy had over a hundred chisels sitting there. They are my weakness, I ended up buying almost 50 of them. What a steal, got them for less than a buck a piece. They are mostly mortise chisels. The long socket type, also got a huge 3" slick and a great bunch of carving chisels too, along with these, I also got a few draw knives and spoke shaves. If I knew how to take pics, would love to show this lot

george wilson
05-25-2014, 5:19 PM
I saw a nearly unused thumbhole Disston rip saw at a local small fleamarket for $2.00. The handle still was nearly new looking,just bright lacquered beechwood. One side of the saw was fully speckled with white paint that could easily be gotten rid of. The blade had some light rust on it in spots all over the blade,but was 50% bright.

I feel sorry for those people trying to sell stuff their stuff because they obviously need money. So,I told the guy his saw was worth good money,and he ought to clean it up and put it on Ebay. He was glad to hear that. I'll not mention the value I told him it would bring to the right buyer. I gave him the same price I paid here for one that I bought for my friend Jon. And,I have seen them go for more.

Jim Koepke
05-25-2014, 5:24 PM
Howdy Sam,

Welcome to the Creek or the cave by the creek if you like for the neanderthal neck of the woods.

If you can get images into your computer, they are easy to upload.

I wrote a post on attaching images back in 2011. There has been at least one change. Another person wrote a less detailed set of instructions.

Both are near the top of this forum:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?7-Forum-Tech-Support

if you click "Reply to Thread" twice it should bring up the paper clip otherwise you can click "Go Advanced" below.

jtk

maximillian arango
05-25-2014, 11:06 PM
I wish I did as well as you Sam, lol. I walked away with a rabbit plane, and a pre WWI stanley #3 for 8 dollars. My biggest score today were a few camera lenses but this is the wrong place for that lol.

Moses Yoder
05-25-2014, 11:15 PM
I got a Natasha Beddingfield CD and a book on quilting, at two different sales, for fifty cents each. Thought I did well; made both my daughter and my mother in law happy in one fell swoop. Beat that.

Rob Paul
05-26-2014, 8:51 AM
Good score Judson,
Mystery saw looks like a W Wilkins (hardware store)
see http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=58&jfile=showthread.php&t=405

Judson Green
05-26-2014, 11:58 AM
Thanks Rob

After doing some digging yesterday afternoon, I was kinda thinking it was a "made for a hardware store" saw. But thanks for helping to connect the dots a little clearer for me, I wound not have stumbled upon that picture or the possible link this saw may have to a Harvey Pearce. The handle is very Harvey P. looking, but I sounds like Disston (after having taken over Harvey P.) might have also made it. Don't know. I think Its old enough (due to the split nuts and sunken medallion) to maybe have been made at Harvey P's.

Happy to hear everyone had some good hunting. One vendor at the flea market had a bunch of good looking wooden molding planes, kinda kicking myself for not buying some.