PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5 went schizo...

Justin Ludwig
05-25-2014, 8:47 AM
My iphone 5 w/ OS 7.1.1 went crazy yesterday when we sat down in a TGI Friday's for lunch in Ft. Smith, AR.

It started prompting me with a screen that showed "Slide to Turn Off" at the top and "Cancel" at the bottom. A screen I've never seen before. I hit cancel. 2 minutes later, it does it again. Cancel. 2 minutes. Cancel. 2 minutes again, now I'm asking everyone at the table (one other iphone holder) and we're all confused. I choose "...turn off". It doesn't turn off. Now I'm really confused. I decide to turn it off, not reboot, so I can enjoy lunch and mess with it later. After 2 minutes, it turns itself back on! The phone is now the center of attention. I turn it off again and check to make sure it is completely off. It is. 2 minutes later, BAM, it's booting up. :confused:

Okay, Whiskey Tango? I choose to hard reboot it. Doesn't help. Turn off WIFI and BT. Doesn't help. Set it in the seat next me and upside down so I don't see the light. That helps me enjoy lunch. We leave Friday's and while my wife is driving I mess with the phone. All is normal!!!

Someone enlighten me as to what the heck was going on! Google was no help.

Scott Shepherd
05-25-2014, 8:53 AM
Read the comments on this video, someone said in there that doing a "restore" solves it. Make sure you back it up before doing that, or you'll lose pictures, etc. Not sure if that's the solution, but it's worth a try. Also, I read that it can be caused by an app that isn't written correctly that has slipped through the approval process. If you installed and new apps before it started doing it, you might want to delete them and see if that helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=773-uxJJq_Y

Justin Ludwig
05-25-2014, 8:58 AM
I read those threads and it's not the same problem. It wasn't randomly turning off (I had that problem long ago because of a bad App.) It was prompting me to turn off. If off, it would self-start up. Everything I explained about ONLY happened for 30-45minutes while inside TGI Fridays.

Eduard Nemirovsky
05-25-2014, 9:31 AM
Doesn't like food from TGI?:D

Justin Ludwig
05-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Doesn't like food from TGI?:D

Could be! I know it sure made me gassy (though it could have been the 2 Fat Tires I drank).

Matt Meiser
05-25-2014, 11:29 AM
Justin, we all know this is a complete fabrication because Apple is perfect. :rolleyes::D

Jason Roehl
05-26-2014, 7:47 AM
It sounds like the Sleep/Wake button on top has gone bad, or may have had some contamination in it that caused it to stick at random times.

Justin Ludwig
05-26-2014, 10:58 AM
It sounds like the Sleep/Wake button on top has gone bad, or may have had some contamination in it that caused it to stick at random times.

I considered that. Since we left TGI Fridays 3 days ago, no problems. I think aliens were dining the same time and trying to hack into my phone. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

John Pratt
06-13-2014, 9:16 AM
It is obvious that the NSA guy monitoring your phone spilled his coffee on his keyboard which of course transfered a glitch to your phone.

Myk Rian
06-13-2014, 11:53 AM
Justin, we all know this is a complete fabrication because Apple is perfect. :rolleyes::D
This Android user agrees. :D

Dave Sheldrake
06-13-2014, 3:52 PM
both my 5S and 5C have been a pain in the rear, so much so I've gone back to two 4S's till the 6 is released

cheers

Dave

Judson Green
06-13-2014, 3:59 PM
both my 5S and 5C have been a pain in the rear, so much so I've gone back to two 4S's till the 6 is released

cheers

Dave

Whaaaaat?

The last two products weren't any good so ya can't wait to buy third? :confused:

Dave Sheldrake
06-15-2014, 3:31 PM
Whaaaaat?

The last two products weren't any good so ya can't wait to buy third? :confused:

The 3, 4 and 4s were great, I'm hoping the 6 will improve on the 5 :)

cheers

Dave

Brian Elfert
06-15-2014, 10:28 PM

I'm curious what issues you are having with your 5C and 5S? I know lots of people who has gone from a 4 or 4S to a 5S and nobody I know has gone back. I recently got a 5S, but I was using a flip phone before so I can't compare.

Shawn Pixley
06-16-2014, 12:30 AM
I can't help with the problem as I have not encountered it. My family all have iPhone 5's and all have worked perfectly. I keep my iOS up to date. LOML and son update theirs less frequently. I general, I don't connect my iPhone to WiFi networks I dont know are reasonably secure.

Dave Sheldrake
06-16-2014, 5:26 AM
battery life is dreadful compared to the 4 series :( and I don't like the plastic body of the 5c :)

cheers

Dave

Brian Elfert
06-16-2014, 8:44 AM
I get two to three days on my iPhone 5S, but I turned off a bunch of stuff to save on battery. I also don't use the phone as much as a lot of others do. I was burning through battery with the default settings when I first got the phone.

Harry Hagan
06-19-2014, 10:56 AM
The problem with Apple is that they won’t let you go back to a previous iOS version if the current one has issues. That’s why my iPhone 5 hasn’t been upgraded from iOS 6.1.

All updates since then have had serious problems and I’d be surprised, based on Apple’s recent track record, if iOS 8 fares any better.

Having to disable functions on an overpriced smartphone to make it serviceable is ridiculous.

Shawn Pixley
06-19-2014, 11:40 AM
I frankly am surprised. My family all have the iPhone 5. I update as soon as it is available. My wife and sone wait to see if I have problems (I never do) before they update. The only problem we have experienced was a broken front glass from my wife dropping hers on a concrete drive (in a case too boot).

I get about 2 days from the battery at low / moderate usage. One day with heavy usage (Google maps / driving guidance, etc...). My family's experience is similar. My biggest vice is playing computer chess on it. Addictive! You can materially impact battery life by choosing your settings wisely and deterimining how many and what push notifications and waht alerts you have. I can play iTunes all day and have battery to spare.

We all transitioned from the iPhone 3 when the devices were starting to fail. We tried to stay on the previous plan as long as possible as we had unlimited everything for all three of us for under 100$ per month total. Now, my plan is set up so my phone can be a hotspot for other devices. Theirs have have unlimited data.

Brian Elfert
06-19-2014, 11:57 AM
My iPhone just works, but I admit I am not a heavy user of a smartphone. I am on a 5S with the latest iOS. I don't have a choice on smartphones since my company provides it. I might choose a plain Android phone like the Nexus 5 if I had a choice. The only issue with plain Android phones is none of them work with Verizon and Verizon works the best for me.

Rich Enders
06-19-2014, 1:39 PM
iPhone 5S here which has worked perfectly until it went into the pool with me this week end. Fortunately Apple replaced it and we are back to perfect.

Matt Meiser
06-19-2014, 1:49 PM
Same here. The only one I ever have trouble with is the kid's and usually that's some app she's installed.