PDA

View Full Version : Universal laser storage shelf

Keith Colson
05-25-2014, 3:42 AM
I am really tight on space so I made up this wheeled shelf to go under my laser cutter. It has a sneaky well shelf at the bottom too, so it uses all the space. It is mostly made from a scrap CRT tv cabinet my neighbour threw out

All assembled

Here it is installed

All loaded up with 80kgs of plastic and slides in and out nicely.

Now to get rid of all the stinky smoke next with a quality air scrubber so my neighbours don't get upset me.

Cheers
Keith

Robert Walters
05-25-2014, 4:16 AM
Very nice!

You could try one of those 8" charcoal filters from the local hydroponics store =)

Mike Null
05-25-2014, 8:47 AM
Keith

Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

Great idea and execution.

Keith Colson
05-25-2014, 9:04 AM
Hi Robert

Only the 6" filters are commonly stocked here and they are about 160USD. To match my air flow of over 1000CFM I would need about 4 of them. They look good but I am on the fence for the large bill. Can you change the charcoal out when it goes bad? Also my filter box will be outside so I was thinking to install a 50 watt light to keep it dry when not in use.

Cheers
Keith

Scott Shepherd
05-25-2014, 9:49 AM
Keith, have you seen the thread about the DIY air scrubber? If not, search this forum, it shows how to make your own and uses charcoal and filters that you can change out yourself.

And Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here!

Robert Walters
05-25-2014, 10:00 AM
Hi Robert

Only the 6" filters are commonly stocked here and they are about 160USD. To match my air flow of over 1000CFM I would need about 4 of them. They look good but I am on the fence for the large bill. Can you change the charcoal out when it goes bad? Also my filter box will be outside so I was thinking to install a 50 watt light to keep it dry when not in use.

Cheers
Keith

I think many of them have the caps riveted on. So if you drill out the rivets and maybe find a way to use bolts instead they should be refillable. But visually verify they didn't use an adhesive instead. Bulk pellets come in 50LB bags, 25LB on special request from some places which are much easier to handle.

I think Dan said when the weight doubles, it's time to replace the pellets.

You might consider trying to special order a 10" from them, but see what bulk pellets are available in your area first.

activatedcarbon.co.nz/pellets.htm in Wellington, NZ

https://www.google.com/search?q=carbon+pellets+new+zealand

6"x24" - 600 cfm - $128 USD
8"x40" - 1000 cfm - $185 USD
10"x40" - 1500 cfm - $201 USD
12"x40" - 1800 cfm
14"x40" - 2200 cfm

I like the lightbulb idea. a 25W might be enough, or even 2x 25W as needed.
place on some type of temp/humidity controller to save on electric bill.

if you place everything in a doghouse it sounds reasonable.
Just realize spiders, snakes, and other critters like warm dry places too =)

Might consider fireproofing (metal sheet) the doghouse, 55gal drum, or metal trashcan, it is one big lump of coal after all.

Dan Hintz
05-25-2014, 11:13 AM
Keith,

See my blog post (link in upper righthand corner of this post)...

Keith Colson
05-26-2014, 1:33 AM
Thanks for the welcome's and heads up. I priced some activated charcoal here in New Zealand

55lbs is 342USD, far out! 2 quotes so far.

Robert, your doghouse approach is where I am heading. I want to build an industrial grade scrubber with easy filter change. 600mm square box looks to be the common filter size here. Yes, the first stage needs to be fire retardant for sure. Even furnace filters for the pre-filter are uncommon and expensive here.

I found some great material for building the doghouse which is cheap. its called corelight and its a PVC composite that is totally waterproof.
Google Corelight board for details. It looks amazing for the price. I just need to cover the top for UV reasons.

I am not sure if I should make multiple sealed boxes that stack or if I should make a box with a single door on it. The single door will be a lot harder to seal up but nicer for filter changing. Once I have my materials sorted I will cad something up.

Cheers
Keith