PDA

View Full Version : Arborists? (BUckeye trees)

Bruce Volden
05-24-2014, 7:33 PM
Having been given dozens of buckeye nuts I decided to plant them and see what would happen. I've perused the internet and learned the germination is quite low. They are supposedly great deer and squirrel food.
I stuck them in the ground last Sept. / Oct. and now have MANY trees appearing (80?).
I would like to ask the forum---now what?
Can I dig them up and move them to a permanent location now or wait?
How far apart should they be placed?
Shade / sun?
Any info would be useful to me! I have the room for them and plan on getting more nuts this fall.
The internet does not answer directly all my questions-even the .edu sites! I thought it would be something fun to grow here in South Dakota!

Bruce

ray hampton
05-25-2014, 12:07 PM
I would plant them at least 20 feet apart

Justin Ludwig
05-25-2014, 2:23 PM
You'll shock them pretty bad if you move them now. Wait until November when they're good and dormant. I transplanted 2 white oaks this spring that were just sprouted and had 2 leaves each. I took a wide and deep berth, but they still got shocked pretty bad. I have 4 magnificent white oaks on the sides and back of my home, and I'm trying to get some in the front so I can cut down the pines.

Bruce Volden
05-25-2014, 6:30 PM
Thanks guys! I will experiment seeing I have quite a few but will take the dormancy part to heart.
I transplanted 9 today ~25 feet apart for good measure.
Thanx again.

Bruce