PDA

View Full Version : Do you remove the chains from your snowblower tires after winter is over?

ken masoumi
05-24-2014, 6:57 PM
I just followed the instruction on how to store a (Ariens) snowblower until next winter,changed the oil,emptied the gas tank,oiled and lubed where I'm supposed to,etc,etc.but I'm not sure if I should remove the chains from the tires or just leave them on?if I leave them on ,will it damage or shorten the life of the tires?

How about leaving them on but take some air out of the tires,will that be ok?
I know a few of you have snowblowers and thought I should ask here first.
Thank you for your help.
Ken.

Jason Roehl
05-24-2014, 7:57 PM
I'd say the best option for storage would be to get the tires off the ground, chains or no. I definitely wouldn't purposefully deflate them to any extent and let them sit that way--I think that would be about the worst passive thing you could do for (to) the tires.

ken masoumi
05-24-2014, 9:22 PM
Thank you Jason for your reply,I'll put the body of the snowblower on a couple of 2x4s so the wheels are off the ground,and as you suggested I'll leave them inflated as they are.
Great advice.

Jim Matthews
05-25-2014, 7:07 AM
Change the oil, too?

Easier to do, when the weather is warmest.
What stabilizer goes into the fuel tank?

We get a whisper of snow compared to what falls North of the 49th parallel.
I still store my snow thrower as if I were in the Adirondacks.

I figure a snow thrower will extend my lifespan.
If my wife can't get out of the house....

ken masoumi
05-25-2014, 9:38 AM
Change the oil, too?

With the amount of snow we usually get up here the snow blower gets used often( at least once or twice a week x 5 months)so oil change once per season is recommended.

What stabilizer goes into the fuel tank?

I usually put fuel stabilizer in the lawn mower/hedge cutter gas tank but thought for the snowblower to empty the tank so next year I'll be able to put fresh winter gas in it,I don't know about your area but up here they put some additives in gasoline for winter months.

Phil Thien
05-25-2014, 9:51 AM
Yep, run the tank dry and store it w/ no gas. Fresh gas at the first use in winter really helps with starting/running.

ray hampton
05-25-2014, 11:34 AM
Yep, run the tank dry and store it w/ no gas. Fresh gas at the first use in winter really helps with starting/running.

let it run after the tank are empty to use the fuel that are in the carb.

ken masoumi
05-25-2014, 11:51 AM

let it run after the tank are empty to use the fuel that are in the carb.

That's exactly what I did,something else I also did but forgot to mention ,I even used a fogging oil spray and sprayed the engine through the spark plug hole,I'm not sure if it was an over kill but it's suppose to stop rust developing inside the engine.

David G Baker
05-25-2014, 12:22 PM
I leave the chains on my John Deere 2010 Row Crop tractor year round because of the difficulty putting the chains on the wheels. The chains weigh 75 pounds each and I am getting to old to keep up with it.

ken masoumi
05-25-2014, 2:46 PM
I leave the chains on my John Deere 2010 Row Crop tractor year round because of the difficulty putting the chains on the wheels. The chains weigh 75 pounds each and I am getting to old to keep up with it.
I agree .they are too much of a hassle to take off although mine don't weigh nearly as much.

ray hampton
05-26-2014, 6:04 PM
That's exactly what I did,something else I also did but forgot to mention ,I even used a fogging oil spray and sprayed the engine through the spark plug hole,I'm not sure if it was an over kill but it's suppose to stop rust developing inside the engine.

the factory recommended a spoon full of motor oil pour into the cylinder , BUT I start my mower every 2 weeks to keep the battery charge up and I get to by-pass the maintenance of attention to the gasoline tank

Rod Sheridan
05-27-2014, 10:50 AM
Hi Ken, I drain the tank, run the machine out of gas, clean and lubricate all the stuff and change the engine oil.

I check the tire inflation, put a squirt of oil in the cylinder and crank it for a few revolutions then put it away for the summer.

Regards, Rod.

ken masoumi
05-27-2014, 3:21 PM
Thank you Rod,Ray,and all for your comments,I mainly needed to find out if there was anything more that had to be done but it looks like I did cover all the necessary steps.
BTW,the tires with the chains on are off the floor,next winter all I need to do is put fresh gas and tackle the worst snow that Canada can muster.
Thank you all.